kandi, Home Seller in Tunkhannock, PA

We are trying to sell our house in Tunkhannock,pa. Does it hurt having a tenant living there while trying to?

Asked by kandi, Tunkhannock, PA Fri Apr 3, 2009

sell?

Answers

6
In my opinion it definitely hurts. I have seen tenants who keep the house like a pigsty and a lot of them who are downright hostile to potential buyers. A few days ago,with a house that the tenant kept in immaculate condition with beautiful furnishings,she sat in a chair and positively glowered at the potential buyers. I had another situation where my sellers decided at the last minute not to rent to some people(they knew them personally and knew they would keep the house in perfect condition) because the tenants were insisting that they had to be present for all showings. As they ran a business,it was quite obvious that they were never going to make themselves available for showings. They also removed my signs from the house.
I sold a tenant occupied home last year. We were offering 30 day occupancy and the owner had cleared it with the renters.

They stayed in the home for showings, said that it was wonderful that the owners were allowing them to stay in the house until the end of the school year, let their dogs do their bowel movements in the basement.

We sold the home about 45 days after we got them out.

Good luck if they feel that they have a great deal they may try to slow down a sale.
Web Reference: http://www.Find1Home.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 4, 2009
It can. If the tenant keeps a messy house ... yes that does hurt you - it substantially effects the value of the home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 3, 2009
Kandi,

We truly understand the need in many cases to have a renter in place to generate cash flow to off set expenses. However, if you are a serious seller, there are many reasons why it is best to sell without a tenant in place.

They have nothing invested in the sale of the home, and generally don't care about the condition it is shown in, and view it as a serious inconvienience to them. Additionally, given the option to show an unoccupied unit opposed to one with a tenant, the one without a tenant will get the edge, because of the commonly accepted negative factors associated with this sinerio.
I own investment properties it depends on the tenant, how they maintain your home. Is it show ready all day for buyers? I have had great tenants then I had tenants waiting for them to move.

Lynn911
~ National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Lecturer regarding Credit Repair, Mortgage Loan Officer
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Occasionally, a tenant-occupied property is a good thing, especially if they have nice furnishings and are neat-niks. If you are one of the lucky ones, the tenant will be supportive of your efforts to sell and will gladly make the property available for viewing, while keeping the yard and house tidy and well presented. Unfortunately, this is not the usual scenario. Tenants can reject showings, thwart a sale with messiness, and generally make life difficult for seller and Realtor. Each situation is different. How do you think the tenant will respond to short notices for showings? Beds made? Kitchen tidy? And the yard? Will the house show better if the tenant is there? Does the tenant have pets? What about the lease? When does it expire?