Home Selling in Palo Alto>Question Details

Trish Lyons, Home Buyer in Palo Alto, CA

We are selling our home in PA at 109 Melville Ave. It has been on market for more than 4 weeks. Can I get some feedback on this property.?

Asked by Trish Lyons, Palo Alto, CA Sat May 28, 2011

Answers

8
seems like you dropped the price a number of times i would consider changing real estate agents. With that many price drops your agent doesn't appear to understand the local market.
Indeed you have a lovely nice home. I hope someone will fall in love with it and call it home soon,

A famous real estate trainer says: " If 30 groups or realtors have viewed the house, you should expect to receive a good offer". Your agent should give you some feedback good and constructive.
Location and price are the major factors.

I do notice your home was zoned for a multi-family and it did not even specify the gross living area. Was there any reason it was not recorded? I assume you have all the required permits and recorded somewhere.
Hi Trish and thanks for your email.

First, my suggestion would be to talk with your agent about the sale. Whenever I have a listing, I contact every agent who shows the listing to find out, frankly, how well the buyers received the home and what, if any, concerns they may have mentioned. As hard as it may be to hear these comments, my sellers usually find that the information is important to evaluating how best to address the marketing of the home. I'm sure your agent has already done this, but it might be great to go over the comments with your Realtor to see if you can address any concerns.

As far as I see it there are four problems that may be creating problems for buyers. Because this is a public site and I would never want to, in any way, diminish your home's marketability, I'm going to summarize the concerns. If you want more specific details, please email me privately.

1. Lack of sales comparables for the area
2. Location of Home Near Train Tracks
3. Price
4. Great room configuration

On the up-side, I think the home is lovely, with many fine interior appointments. The virtual tour is unique and I like the "walk through" capability, which is great to "orient" yourself in the home. Overall, a fine home that can be easily sold if you address the little problems I've mentioned above.

Grace Morioka
Area Pro Realty-People's Choice
Email: GraceAreaProRealty@att.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 28, 2011
Your home is beautiful, many high end upgrades. Love the studio, perfect for a college kid or grandparent suite. The only issue I can surmise is your proximity to the train. I see that you've reduced your price twice already and more than four weeks listed (in this market) is not a long time. If there are no major issues on your property inspection report and you have a newer roof, then I think your price is good for now. Maybe wait until mid-June, and if no offers by then, ask your agent if you should reduce once again.
Hi Trish,
The virtual tour floor plan is unique inhow it integrates the photos by room. As Marcy stated, you are close to Alma and the rail line, plus in the virtual tour the main photo also shows the power lines. Because location is so important the only thing you the seller has control over is condition and price. With the exception of the dated pink bathroom, price is going to be the deciding factor to get your home sold.

Discuss this with you agent so that you can be strategically positioned for your location and other competition.

All the best to you.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
Your home is lovely, the pictures on line are well done and show off your house beautifully. The virtual tour with the floor plan is great. It is priced too high for that close to Alma and the train. Buyers expect a big discount for that location.

Marcy Moyer
DRE 01191194
Web Reference: http://www.marcymoyer.com
Hi Trish,

It's true that the photos are a bit dark. Also, the virtual link on the MLS profile doesn't seem to work (when I click it, I get an error message) and the written description on the property profile is weak.

Does your listing agent use some kind of "Showing Feedback" system? This would get you feedback from agents who show the property. We use this type of system so that sellers like you automatically know what showing agents and their buyers are thinking.

Dan

Daniel Berman
Pacific Century Realty
Listing Commissions as Low as 1%
Buyer Rebates to 50%
Multilingual Services
Web Reference: http://pacific-century.com
I can't speak for the price, as I am not familiar with the market, however I would say that a lot of buyers come from the internet and they want to see lots of pictures. At your price range,I would expect your realtor to hire a professional photographer to take at least 30 photos and include a virtual tour, and hopefully a floor plan. Several of your pictures appeared dark and a professional photographer familiar with al estate photos can help make your home sparkle online.