Alison Keefe,  in Rowley, MA

We are selling our home for-sale-by-owner and was wondering how we could advertise our house and open houses on your website. (listed with MLS)

Asked by Alison Keefe, Rowley, MA Mon Apr 2, 2012

Answers

10
I'll respectfully disagree with Ms. Linda Lorenzo below. You can obtain mass media even with the smallest of brokerages. The average Realtor knows nothing about search engine optimization or online marketing. In our market, our board provides a syndication service so when I list a house it feeds to hundreds of places. But I also blog the listings so it creates presence as well. If you're relying on the mass media places, forget it. Long tail online marketing strategy is more effective and I'd be happy to back that up with references.

Less than 1% of homes sell via open house. The fact is, unless the buyer is not committed, or a pain in the xss, then they will choose to go through a Realtor since the service is paid for by the seller.

Case in point..... I hold open houses on occasion because the seller believes I'm working for him. I said on occasion, right? "Here's what I get: We just started looking and haven't even decided if we want to move. We've been looking in this neighborhood since they started building 6 years ago. I'm looking for my daughter but I don't know what she wants. I don't trust Realtors, they'll all just trying to get my money. (My response: Really? I'd be happy to have my pastor call you with a referral about my services to him. His response: No because he's probably lying too. Trust me, this is not the person you want buying your house if you have a choice of buyers.)

I'm sure you've got at least $100,000 tied into this house. Why risk such a big investment? You'll have more risk for a law suit, waste hundreds of hours, get less since you will not know what your house is really worth resulting in low ball offers and may take one due to frustration. Not staging it right will cost you at least 6% according to NAR surveys.

Bite the bullet and get a great Realtor. I know some in your market.

Cathy Bureau
Broker-Owner
Green Home Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 25, 2012
Regarding Northeastgal's comment - I can't disagree more! If it was that easy to sell a home then the market demand would shift so far down we would all be displaced. More often, a home gets listed by an owner, has a bunch of open houses, then eventually lists with a Realtor.

I can see how seller's don't want to pay a commission, heck I don't like it when I sell my own home, but it is a necessary expense most of the the time. It also removes some liability from the seller. I have only had one gal say she'd never use a Realtor since they cause too much trouble, then sell her own house via newspaper. A year later she called me to get help because the buyer sued her over a mold issue.

We offer value in many ways including appropriate inspections and disclosures. With all due respect, the advice below is ridiculous.

Cathy Bureau
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 18, 2012
I'm sure any Realtor would feel this exact same way....
Flag Wed Apr 18, 2012
Hi Alison,

Unfortunately, Trulia does not allow FSBO listings on the site. To get your home on Trulia, you will need to work with a real estate professional.

We've built a tool to help you find which Real Estate pro you could work with, based on recommendations by other home buyers and sellers, and how active they have been in the Voices community. You can find such pros in your area here:

http://www.trulia.com/voices/directory/01969-agent--41324

If there's anything I can do to help you out, just let me know!

Andrew
Community Manager, Trulia Voices
andrew@trulia.com
Most of the larger real estate companies feed their listings out to hundreds of websites, so if you are using a small company you may not be getting the same exposure. You can also post to Craigslist & similar sites like Housepads yourself. Good luck
The MLS has strict standards of practice and thus requires that anyone placing listings in the MLS be a licensed real estate agent. However, there are numerous public sites that don't require an agent: zillow, trulia, newspapers, and the various for-sale-by-owner internet sites where you can list your property. Be sure you have a good attorney advising you along the way, and good luck.
We put an ad in the Boston Globe for an open house and we sold our house the following week! We fired our Realtor because she forgot to advertise the first open house. The day of the open house, put out balloons, and signs. You don't need MLS, honestly.
Alison - your listing agent can get it on Trulia.

Cathy Bureau
Call Thread and see if Trulia is one of the sites they advertise to...
Thank you! We have it listed with Thread Real Estate, LLC.
You have to list with a Broker/Realtor to be on Trulia.