rwittwer, Home Seller in 53705

We are selling my mother's home. It doesn't have a garage and is in need of major updates. Is it worth it to paint the walls, trim and kit?

Asked by rwittwer, 53705 Fri Jan 4, 2013

cabinets? I'm sure buyer will have to replace cabinets. Walls in kitchen and family room are pine paneling. Ugly!

Answers

18

Great question. It all depends on what neighborhood you are in as the 53705 zip code is very popular. It was also be dependent upon what you need in terms of selling price. It is always a good idea to make sure a home is primed and ready for the market, but if you think the next owner will do a lot of this it may not be worth the headache and hassle.

I would be happy to come over and assess the property if you would like. Feel free to call or e-mail me and I will be happy to schedule a time with you.

Mark Gladue
608-658-0467
mark@markgladue.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 4, 2013
would recommend that you do whatever you can to improve the property before sale and that includes landscaping, paint, new carpets and pads, and window coverings, replace old and worn fixtures and appliances.
As a matter of fact, it often takes two or three weeks to get a property prepared for sale. I do not recommend a big remodel of the property however.

It would be wise to consult with a local Realtor so that you do the things that will actually be worth while in your area because every area is different,

If the home looks better, it will attract better (and higher) offers. Unless you want to take a very low price, you should consider that distressed and run down property always sells for the lowest price.
I would put my best foot forward and paint...most people dont want to move into a fixer upper...also you should be able to get more for it when it looks presentable.
A good paint job is by far the most economical way to make any property look better. While you may not want to get involved doing everything your mothers home may need, I can almost assure you it would pay dividends to have the house repainted and professionally cleaned prior to putting it on the market.

You should consult with a local Realtor and make certain you price the home appropriately for it's condition and you may want to consider clearly indicating that you're selling the property "As-Is" though this will impact the price you'll get.

Best of luck to you.
Hi rwittwer,

It's hard to say without seeing the property but unless it's a "tear down" or real "fixer upper" whatever you cando to spruce things up and improve its appeal will likely be money well spent. The issue here may be knowing where to not cross the line. Generally, cleaning out, de-cluttering, organizing, painting, planting, and repairing can be done with a minor monitary investment and some extra time. Crossing the line may involve remodeling kitchens, bath rooms, and more major under takings.

Keep in mind that you don't have to make the home new, or change it to meet the needs of the finest tastes. What you find as offensive may be acceptable or even appealing to someone else. A fresh coat of paint can make an ugly pine panel wall often disappear.....

Consider setting a small budget and seeing what you can accomplish. You may suprise yourself!

Make it have a okay look.If it's difficult for you, I would like to suggest you cash buyers like http://www.saleswift.com so that you can sell your property fast for cash without any hassle.
I would say a little painting is always worth the effort unless you don't mind what price or how quickly the property sells. If the home looks clean and move in ready, although most buyers may want to do some updating later, at least a buyer may consider it is a house they can live in while the updates are being done.
That is a question that really should be answered in person.
What I would do would be to select a couple agents, to meet and see the property, get their opinions on upgrades, pricing and marketing.

While meeting you could use my 10 questions to ask your Realtor about selling your home. (link below)

You can draft a plan of action with the Realtor you best like. Hire a good Realtor and they will take care of your worries.

Guy Lofts RealEstateGuy glofts@tds.net
It depends if you want to make money off the property or if your willing to do some work! If you feel that you just want to walk away from, clean it real well and list it as is.
It is hard to say without first viewing the home. I would view the home, do a comparative market analysis and discuss what work would need to be done. I have several contractors that I do
business with that I could recommend. The bottom line is that we do the analysis and look at what homes in the area have sold for, then discuss the work that needs to be done and the cost of this, and then decide if it is worth your while to put it up for sale. I would love to meet with you. The analysis is free to you.

Judy Braund, Keller Williams Crossroads, 608-235-0431 judybraund@kw.com.
To give you the most definitive answer I would have to stop over. Give me a call at 217-4719 and I be happy to stop over for a no obligation look.
Paint will really be a bonus and enhance the family room. If you would like more tips, I would be happy to do a walk-thru and do a thorough evaluation of the home. There is not cost or obligation to do that. Feel free to contact me.

Karen Berg, First Weber Group
608-219-8906
This zip code is a pretty desirable area. If you aren't looking for top dollar, it will sell for the right price as is. However, It will definitely sell faster and for a higher price if efforts are made to make the property look better. Usually paint, cleaning, and simple items you can do yourself will be worth the effort. However, hiring a contractor to remodel and do updates often doesn't pay back what you spend. If you'd like a professional opinion, I'd be happy to stop by and look at it sometime this weekend. Feel free to check out our website (linked below) for more info about us and our contact info.
Web Reference: http://keithandkinsey.com
Take the time to meet with an agent and have them look at the property and give you some professional advice. I work with families all the time that are looking to sell their parents homes. The price point will depend on the condition and market place. Let me know if you'd like some assistance. An experienced agent is the best!
It depends. Each home and situation is unique. Generally, the homes in top condition go most quickly for the best prices. It doesn't have to be perfect or a Parade home, but put a reasonable effort and investment into preparing your home for sale will help it sell more quickly and for a better price. A Realtor can help you develop and implement a plan and budget to get your home ready to sell. My suggestion is to fine an experienced Realtor you like and work met them at the home to walk-through it and determine what should be done. If you'd like, do this with two or three and then make a decision. I live in your area would be happy to help. My cell is 608/345-9009.
It all depends on what you price you want to get for the house. A fixed up house shows better and gets you more money. If the house needs repair, it can be harder to sell and limits some buyers from buying it.

Give me a call and talk to you in more detail about it.

608-556-4179
I recently sold the house I grew up in the 53705 zip code (South Hill Dr). I would be happy to walk thru the house and share my opinion on specific updates that may or may not be useful.

Please feel free to call or email me.

Paul Anderson
Madison Buyer Agency
(608) 213.1352
Probably not worth painting if there are so many other updates/upgrades needed. I would suggest you meet with a Realtor to have them look at the place. Feel free to call me at 608-320-9612.