Home Selling in Wakefield>Question Details

Shawn Vanner, Both Buyer and Seller in Winchester, MA

We are rehabbing a 1920's Dutch Colonial to sell in January. The master closet is small. How will this affect resale? Should we enlarge it?

Asked by Shawn Vanner, Winchester, MA Tue Nov 12, 2013

The house is approx. 1500 sf, 3 bedrooms, 1.5 baths. Almost everything in the house will be new including the kitchens and bathrooms. The only way to increase the size of the closet is to encroach on one of the smaller bedrooms. Is it worth the money to do this? How do buyers feel about small closets in old houses? The house is located in a desirable neighborhood. Thank you!!

Answers

9
From my experience, encroaching on a (smaller) bedroom to enlarge a closet would not be the way to go. If you make one bedroom too small, you are then appealing to a group that is looking at 2 BR- a different market.

I have rehabbed a Dutch Colonial and was able to increase closet space in one room through opening the doorway and allowing easy access under the roof, installing built ins next to the gables, and adding a row of shorter doors after actually putting a wall in one room where the roof slope made it not as usable. I also built the bed in one room under the slope to allow greater use, with storage underneath.

The goal is to increase space, not take it away from any room.

Best of Luck!

Gail Weiss
NYS Licensed Salesperson
http://www.capitalregionnyhomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 13, 2013
Hi Shawn,

What did you end up doing?
Web Reference: http://wenrealty.com
You get the most money back in kitchens and baths. I suggest you spend the money on those areas rather than making one of your 3 bedrooms smaller.
Yes, closets matter to buyer's but in small square footage less so than renovated kitchens, baths and living room.

Territory Real Estate
Serving Massachusetts Home Buyer's Exclusively
617 848 5407 ext 704
Web Reference: http://territory.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 14, 2013
I would go look at houses in the subject town that are already for sale and see what they have done or how they deal with it.
Similar age and price range, if style and size are not available.

The amount of space you would add and subtract is key.
Look at others and compare first - at least to get ideas.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Increasing the size of the closet by making a bedroom smaller will probably NOT increase the value. It depends upon the individual Buyer and what THEIR needs are when they are looking at your home.
Happy to assist at any time
Paul
It really needs to be looked at by an agent. Small bedrooms can be equally as much of a turnoff. It depends on what your home will be competing with in its price range. Of its priced similarly sized homes of that era that are in great shape, most likely those homes will have small closets as well.

Definitely have a REALTOR or two come by, look at it and see where you will fall compared to the competition.
Web Reference: http://thehousewiz.com
It sounds like you've been busy. It's hard for me to say, without seeing the house. How does it affect the other bedroom if its small already. I would be happy to view the property and give you my professional opinion. Please feel free to contact me.
Rita M. Manuel
Bean Group, Winchester, Ma
617-686-8555
Better to keep the bedroom size for sure! An armoire will work for extra space so don't lose space in the other room! :)
Let me know if I can help further...
Flag Tue Nov 12, 2013
Closet space is definitely important but it may not be worth it if the bedroom you are taking the space from becomes to small. The best advice I can give is to have a real estate professional in to take a look and give you your options then. Feel free to reach out for further assistance.