Toni Huemann, Home Seller in Leander, TX

We are planning to sell a home on 11 acres in 78641. The house is located off Nameless road close to 1431.

Asked by Toni Huemann, Leander, TX Mon Apr 28, 2008

I have heard that ranch properties take longer to sell. We have updated the kitchen with top end materials, replaced all of the flooring and added a horse stall and done some landscaping. We have not updated the bathrooms. What other things can we do to make our house stand out in a competitive market?

Answers

18
Spirit Messingham’s answer
I agree, talk with a local Realtor. Consider interviewing three, see what they bring to the table, experience selling an acreage like yours, ask for referrals from past clients, what they charge, and etc. Here in Tucson, AZ 91% of all homes sold are thru the local MLS, working with a local Realtor gives you the best chance for a "successful" transaction.

Best of luck.

Spirit
Yes, paint the home and consider updating the baths, especially if they are getting rough around the edges. However, the most important thing is to list the property with a REALTOR member of the MLS who can identify your target market, and tell you how to reach that market.

Remember though that you are not adding significant value through the remodeling.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 29, 2008
Having sold farm and ranch properties for many years I welcome the opportunity to be interviewed! I sold two properties along Nameless and am very familiar with the area. I have a team of people who work with me that helps free up my time so I can focus on getting your property sold. Many agents try to do it all and some things fall through the cracks, but since I have a team we can use a repeatable, proven process to get your property sold for the best price in the least amount of time. AND, my statistics prove it!

In addition to what you have already done I would help stage your home for photos. Staging your home and staging for photos are slightly different. Professional photography will enhance all the attributes of your property and staging will present your home at its best.

An inspection will also help. When a buyer makes an offer you will want that offer made on the basis of full disclosure whether you choose to make the repairs or not. This action will most likely prevent a buyer from trying to renegotiate price during the Option Period (when the buyer is performing their own inspections). Yes, the buyer will probably want to get their own inspection, but we use the highest level of inspectors (there are 3 levels) to assist you.

Good marketing techniques also help your property stand out. I do a market profile of potential buyers and then skew the marketing to attract those buyers. We put your property on 30+ targeted websites - websites where other websites pull data from, thus scattering your info to a multitude of sites. I target buyers from our database looking for farm and ranch properties; equestrian centers where people with horses frequent; magazines that promote farm and ranch properties; other realtors who also sell farm and ranch properties.

For more strategies:

Donna Ciccarelli
Goldwasser Real Estate
512-736-3124
dciccarelli@gretx.com
http://www.donnaciccarelli.com
Hi Toni,
Staging and photo's are very important as well as pricing your home right from the start.
I just sold a home on 5 acres up off of 281 and it went much faster than we thought!
Do you have a Realtor you are working with? I have a background in Land Survey, Banking and grew up in the area so if I can assist you just let me know.
I have professional photos done, do virtual tours and always answer my phone if it's possible or
I call folks right back. That is so important when working with clients and other agents to get a home sold quickly.
Laura Rosales, Realtor
Premiere Team Real Estate
512-771-5334
laura@premiereteam.com
I am looking for a Ranch for some clients, no deed restrictions, they want to have chickens, ( no commercial)
Let me know more about your property, How many acres, year built, how many sq ft??

Victoria Pando
512-696-3015
TX Real Estate Broker
Hire a REALTOR who does coaching for selling, staging, professional photos, online and print marketing. Since it is acreage and you have a horse stall, consider hiring a Horse Property Specialist. Ranch properties do not necessarilry take longer to sell. We are in a good market now. If you home is priced right and handled correctly, it should sell in a short while.
I live in Leander, am full time, an Equestrian Specialist http://www.bettysellsaustin.com/ also my new Horse Property site http://www.horsepropertiesintexas.com/about I can be reached though my websites or at 512-785-5050
Flag Wed Apr 11, 2012
Toni, Your property sounds fantastic and what I would recommend to help it sell quickly in this market is make sure it is absolutely spotless and has a great curb appeal when someone drives up. Have the front facade looking like it should be on the cover of a magazine and also the first impression when a buyer opens the front door. If it looks great and has a clean, pleasant scent, they will automatically say, "wow, I really like this" and that's what you want is a first impression appeal. And of course, pricing it correctly is key, also. On an acreage, I would recommend searching about a 3-5 mile radius of similar properties that have sold in the past 6-12 months. It can be tricky pricing an acreage due to lack of comps. I live on an acreage and would love to take a look at what you've got. My husband and I are agents for Keller Williams called the Mustang Realty Team. If you need our help, please give us a call or email and we can set up a time to meet and see how we could help. Good luck! Sincerely, Carolyn Barbian (512) 965-5189, email: mustangrealtyteam@kw.com
Dear Toni,
Updated kitchens and bathrooms can make all the difference. Although for a horse lover, nice stalls and a sparkeling tack room might be the thing to send a buyer over the top. There are other horse lovers out there looking for the right home.
I am curious, it has been two years since you posted the question, do you still have this property for sale or have you decided to remain in Leander?
Betina

Betina Foreman- Realtor
Prospect Real Estate Solutions, LLC
(512)771-6318
Hello Toni,

Please let me know when you decide to sell. I have a buyer looking for a home. They need horse facilities.
That is great that you have added a stall. Flooring is always a good upgrade as well as the kitchen. Bathrooms are also one of the best places to put your money. New neutral paint always helps as well as an outside covered deck area. If you have not had a market analysis done yet, you should have a Realtor do one for you, before you spend too much on the upgrades.

Cindy Cardenas
One Percent Realty LLC
512-228-4173
Dear Toni,
Did you sell your home? I have a buyer looking for a horse property in the area. Please let me know if your still on the market and what your asking price is. Thanks!
Betina

Betina Foreman - Keller Williams
1801 MOPAC, Suite 100
Austin, TX 78746
512-771-6318
Hi Toni:
There are clients for properties in Leander with good acreage, Can you have more than one horse in your 11 acres, also I really want to find out if you can divide your land. I recently sold a 5 acre property in Leander and they can have up to 2 horses, so we make sure featured the horses in our marketing plan. So a horse lover bougth the property (cash deal). We staged the house and showed beautiful. You do not need to upgrade the whole house in order to sell it, sometimes just some repairs are OK.
If you need some help, just call me.

Victoria Pando CRS, GRI, CIPS
TX and FL Real Estate Broker
WIZ Realty
Cell 512 -696-3015
vickypando@gmail.com
Would you like to sell now. 512-716-5070
Hi Tony, It sounds like I'm hoping to buy exactly what you are hoping to sell around December of this year. Hopefully you will be in our price range. Good luck!
Toni, It sounds like you are on the right track and know that in today's market your home needs to stand out from the competition .Kitchens are a tremendously important part of the home .flooring too is a must for your home to stand out .I would de clutter as much as possible and make sure the fridge is free of debris. Counters are neat and any unnecessary appliances are put up and not left on counters,don't forget the garage make sure it is clean and neat .The Horse stall is a good idea, I deal with allot of acreage properties in the area and of course allot of people who are looking for land will appreciate the fact that you have these facilities .I would definitely have a Real Estate professional look at the bathrooms and see if you would need to have something done in them before I spent allot of money. Little things like updating the faucets and paint if needed new towel racks might be enough to help the bathrooms out. I have lived in the Leander area my entire live and know the area very well if you ever need anything please feel free to contact me.

Billy Ray Walker
City Real Estate.
Owner/Agent
512-515-6100
http://www.cityrealestateproperties.com
billy@cityrealestateproperties.com
I specialize in Leander in fact I maintain the websites LeanderHomes.com and LeanderWeather.com If you have not sold your home call me and I can help. You probably will have to update the bathrooms. Bathrooms and kitchens need to sparkle.

Carol Pease, ABR, CRB, CRS, e-PRO, RECS
512-721-6320
Web Reference: http://www.LeanderHomes.com
Toni:

Updating the bathrooms might be a good idea but I recommend that you get a professional REALTOR out to help you make that decision before you spend money that is unnecessary. My clients feel that I have helped save them money with getting their houses ready for sale. Location and condition are two very important aspects; but pricing is the key in this market.

Give me a call, and I can come with my team to give you expert advice.

Connie Herron, REALTOR, ABR, GRI
Kitchen and bathroom remodels will get you the most bang for your buck. Fresh paint also does wonders. The 11 acres that your hone resides on will be appealing to people that enjoy the outdoors, therefore pay close attention to your outdoor living spaces (i.e. patio etc...). If you would like some advice I would be happy to do a walk through of your home and give you some ideas. I sold a property on 5 acres in Honeycomb Hollow in 2006 and a home on over 6 acres in Honeycom Hollow in 2007. Call me if you would like to meet 659-7579.
a) fresh paint
b) hardwood flooring, tile
c) Lighting
d) clean carpet
e) Pack up all move out furniture makes the home look bigger
f) hardware

A house without hardwood floors will be less likely to sale, whether it's a $50K townhome or a luxury home, these are only a few items that make a house marketable. GOOD LUCK
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com