Home Selling in Warrensburg>Question Details

Makeascn, Home Seller in Warrensburg, MO

We are moving and will sell our house. It needs some work such as electrical updates. Should we make the repairs before we try to sell it?

Asked by Makeascn, Warrensburg, MO Fri Apr 22, 2011

the electrical needs a new larger box (previous owner added onto house but unhooked things to hook up new things) there are also many smaller cosmetic things that need to be done that I may be able to do myself. I have a friend who wants to rent it for the school year and that would give me time to make some of the repairs. Although we will be moving about an hour away. We want to buy a new house but obviously won't be able to buy before we sell the current house.

Answers

7
Absolutely, the vast majority of buyers I'm seeing now are using FHA, USDA or VA funding. Your home will need to pass very rigorous inspections to meet their requirements.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 27, 2011
I think making repairs before putting it up for sale will actually help it sell faster. Having a buyer know that they are moving into a great home that doesn't need any updates is a big selling point. I know it's definitely something I look at when home buying. I would definitely recommend looking into it. http://electricalchristiansburgva.com/Industrial-Equipment-I…
Yes, make the repairs!! As Alice said, people are being very picky these days - the more you can do ahead of time, the better!

http://basking-ridge-real-estate.com/blog/general-real-estat…
Actually, you could buy another home without having sold your current one, but that's a different issue.

If you'd like to receive top dollar, then you'd better be prepared to pay some professionals to do the work--unless you're a licensed carpenter or contractor. Many sellers think that they can take a few cheaper short-cuts here and there, and that the buyers won't notice. Whether or not the buyers will notice the flaws/short-cuts, their inspectors usually will notice the flaws/short-cuts and flag them (if they're good). The net result is that the seller will end up paying the full price--if not more--for the work anyway (typically via a credit).

So if you'd prefer to save money, then sell it as-is.
Hi -
In today's home selling climate, buyers are very picky. I find that repair requests going back to sellers after inspections are much longer lists than in previous years. By making the repairs now, you can schedule the work at your convenience and have the time to get several bids on a repair so that you aren't paying top dollar. Buyers aren't going to pretend that something doesn't need repair -- even if you lower the price to "compensate" for an "as is" condition. They'll still want it fixed. The other thing to remember is that as a home owner you know that certain things can be repaired. Buyers want broken things replaced with new ones -- given the choice that's what they'll ask for -- and they will ask for a professionally licensed contractor to do the work -- not you or your perfectly competent :"Uncle Fred".

Since you have an older home to which the previous homeowner made additions, it's probably worth the money to have the home pre-inspected to find out what the buyer's inspector is going to flag. It will cost you about $350 but it will give you a marketing tool when you sell the house. A copy of the inspection report and a list of the repairs made will make buyers feel more comfortable about purchasing the house. Also consider offering a home warranty with the purchase.
alice
Alice Leeper
RE/MAX Boone Realty
Columbia, MO
Web Reference: http://www.ShowMeHouses.com
Hi, I always recommend doing any repairs you can before selling. This way you give any potential buyers less to gripe about. The other thing you could do is offer a credit to the buyer for any major electrical work if you don't feel like doing the work. Cosmetics are always wise because you only get one first impression. Proper presentation goes a long way with home buyers.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Dear Makeascn,
Yes it would be wise to take care of any issues with your home, before you list it for sale. If you don't the buyer will likely reduce their offer, or ask you to repair them anyway. When a home is in good condition, you will get better buyesr and higher offers too.