Home Selling in Lincoln>Question Details

Jeff Madderom, Home Seller in Lincoln, NE

We are looking for some feedback positive and negative is fine we can take it here is the mls# 10101463. Thank you very much.

Asked by Jeff Madderom, Lincoln, NE Sat Nov 10, 2012

the house has been on the market almost a month. we are listed thru home real estate

Answers

3
Don Tepper’s answer
First, being on the market "almost a month" doesn't mean much in most areas. Lots of areas have an average "days on market" of 45, 60, or even more. You're saying yours is much less than that.

Second, a better test is how much "traffic" you've had. How many viewings? How much interest. That can tell you a lot more about whether the pricing is OK and whether it shows OK.

Third--looking at the specific listing--the place looks like a dump. I know it isn't, but that's the way it looks.

The photos are horrible. They're blurry, out of focus, and poorly exposed. They're also poorly composed, and the digital dating in the corner shows sloppiness. That applies to all the photos. They're actively working to keep your house on the market indefinitely. And what they're showing isn't too great, either. Here are a few examples:

#1: Blurry. Left-hand side should be cropped a bit to eliminate the house there, but leave most of that nice tree. Looks like there's something lying on the left-hand side of the driveway about halfway up. That shouldn't be there.

#2: Blurry. Come in a bit closer or crop the right-hand side to eliminate the pole.

#4: Blurry. That furniture is oversized. Meanwhile, you've got that dinky little table with some poor plants, and a TV above. Poorly exposed because the camera averaged the indoor and outdoor light. It should have been exposed for the interior.

#6: Blurry. Get rid of that rag on the stove. Seriously. And take EVERYTHING off the counters. You don't have much counter space; don't emphasize that by putting things on it.

#7: Blurry. Poorly exposed. Get the junk off the counter. Hide the trash can.

#9: Blurry. Poorly exposed. And this isn't about your furniture; it's about your house. Staging the table is fine, but the photos should NOT focus on your furniture. They should highlight the rooms. You can barely see the room in this picture.

#10: Blurry. Poorly exposed. And all this picture tells me is that the room has a window that opens.

#15. Blurry. Repaint the walls a neutral color.

#16: Blurry. Repaint the walls a neutral color. And move that sofa; maybe a quarter of the picture is taken up by the back of that sofa. Remember: Focus on the room, not your furniture.

#18: Blurry. Poorly exposed. And unless you're selling the computer, desk, and chair, move them. Again, focus on the room, not the furniture.

#19: Blurry. Poorly exposed. Repaint the walls a neutral color. And eliminate all those pictures above the headboard.

#20: Blurry. Poorly exposed. I don't even know what this shows. It looks like a poorly-done add-on to the back of the house where you've put a wet bar.

#23: Blurry. Poorly exposed. And clean up that area. The big drainage pipe, the kid's play house, the seemingly overgrow weeds on the right.

#24. Very blurry. And get rid of the laundry basket and trash can. On the right, align the washer and dryer.

#25: Blurry. It looks like a small but OK deck...ready for a yard sale of old yard furniture. At a minimum, get rid of all the stuff over on the right.

#26: Blurry. Poorly exposed. And what have I told you about focusing on the property, not the furniture?

I'm not saying redoing the photos along the lines I've suggested will ensure a sale. But I do know that the photos (and what they display) are actively discouraging potential buyers.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
I've known couples to have their home for sale for over a year in Lincoln, the market is not great if you don't have it priced correctly.
Average days on market is close to 90 days so don't start worrying yet! While it's hard to be patient, it does take time to get maximum exposure and an eventual showing with the right buyer. Trust your agent and know that he or she will give you the feedback necessary to take it in the right direction. I did take look at the pictures and it looks like a lovely home. Good luck!

Andrea Schneider, Realtor, CSP