Home Selling in Sunnyvale>Question Details

Sasha, Both Buyer and Seller in Sunnyvale, CA

We are interested in selling our home in Danbury Place, Sunnyvale, and are hoping to sell in the $640,000 - $650,000 range. Is it a good time to sell?

Asked by Sasha, Sunnyvale, CA Sat Sep 29, 2012

We own the 2 bedroom 1 bonus room 2 1/2 bath unit... 1565 sq ft. I know that homes were in demand in august, but is the market still good since the school year has started? Or should I wait till Spring / Summer next year?

Answers

25
Tg119,

Its a great time to buy. That is because the interest rates are sooo low. Would I buy now? ABSOLUTELY! At present its tending to be a seller's market, mainly because of a high demand and low inventory. That means that a buyer will have to compete and their agent will have to work harder, ultimately you will get the house of your choice. When the rates are so low, your purchase power is high, and you LOCK the rate for 30 years. Why would you wait for the rates to go up?

Good luck! and buy if it is the right time for you.

Monica Goyal
408-476-0675
Hi Sasha:

Yes its a great time to sell, do get in touch.

http://www.trulia.com/blog/perry_mistry/2012/12/sunnyvale_to…

There are some that sold on Munich terrace, La Rochelle for over $700K.

Do get in touch with us.

Ruth & Perry
Coldwell Banker

408-656-5343
Web Reference: http://ruthandperry.com/
Sasha,
We are looking to buy. If you have not already sold, we can connect. Please send email at adiadam@gmail.com.

- Adi
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
Higher interest rates do not always mean lower home prices. In 2000 the market was on fire and interest rates were over 8%. We got 40% appreciation that year in Palo Alto, and almost that much in other areas. There were plenty of people buying with cash, or just making higher payments.
Bernanke said he is going to keep interest rates low for the next few years so if the employment levels stay high I would be surprised if prices go down before 2015. It could happen, but I would not count on it.
Marcy
Web Reference: http://www.marcymoyer.com
Thanks much. Will take your advice
Tg1199,
The interest rates were already low but just recently they went even lower. I just refinanced again.

However, the reason I said that's bad for you is buyers are rushing to take advantage of the low interest rates, which spikes up the sales price. You should wait for the interest rates to go back up, so that more buyers can no longer afford as much, thus the prices will fall. It's supply and demand. The more buyers that get priced out of the market, the less competition you will have.
It is a hard time to buy in some areas and at some price ranges. There are so many buyers out there you could have a lot of competition. If you have more than 20% for a down payment and are willing to offer aggressively you can be successful, but you have to be committed to the process. Interest rates are low which is great, but also makes for a lot of competition.

If you are trying to buy in areas with high scoring schools, or if you are trying to buy a home that is priced very well in order to generate multiple offers expect a lot of competition.

However, if you can manage to buy the home you want you will have low interest rates and probably some years of good appreciation.
Marcy Moyer
Keller Williams Realty Palo Alto
650-619-9285
DRE 01191194
Tg1199,
No, it's not a good time for you to buy. You should wait until interest rates go up.
Thanks mr realtor. Its a good time to sell and a good time to buy.
Flag Tue Oct 9, 2012
Its amazing. All agents think that its a good time to sell. I have one question: is it a good time to buy?

Let me know if I can help you, I can sell it for a high price.

Chand
(408)931-1271
DRE#01905197
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
Yes, it's a good time to sell. The market is still good even though the school year has started.
I just sold one in that complex and got that price and it sold in 7 days. There are two more coming on the market so timing and pricing strategy is crucial. If you would like more inside data within the project please contact me directly at 408-594-2222. http://www.patriciatorreslowe.com.
Intero Real Estate Services, Cupertino.
Nobody knows for sure what will happen in the future, but many events have contributed to the very low inventory, and prices we haven't seen in many years. The IPO, the recent hirings at two of the largest employers, the historically low interest rates, the election, and the lack of REO inventory coming on the market. Timing is everything in this business, and if you have a valid reason for wanting to sell, then sell. Waiting is never a sure bet that you'll get a better price. It is true that if you list your home at a higher price you don't have to sell it, but why would you want to go through the pain of getting your home ready, have people trotting through it, only to be disappointed in the offers. Better to work with someone who knows how to obtain the top value on your home and ask them if it's possible. And again, look at their stats and track record in what you are trying to do. If it makes sense, then do it.
Bulichims is right about that. If you do not get the price you want you do not have to sell, but I think you will get that price.
Marcy Moyer
marcy@marcymoyer.com
650-619-9285
Sasha,

I used to live in Danbury Place. Try listing your home for around that price and see if you can get an offer. If you can't, then just wait until next year. There is no obligation to sell if you can't get that price.
Why are you selling? Where are you going after selling your home? How this sale fits into your life plans?

Don't think too much about the seasonal trends. Last couple years the seasonal trends were not as consistent as before. You know the market today, you know the lending climate today. If the time is right for you to sell then go for it. Find a good realtor, sign a contract and put it on the market ASAP.
Web Reference: http://talisrealestate.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2012
More Silicon Valley homes are sold during the spring and early summer than during fall and early winter but prices do not follow the seasons. Basically there are more homes sold but there are also more buyers during the spring. The number of days to sell a home does not follow the seasons either.
http://www.julianalee.com/sunnyvale/sunnyvale-statistics.htm

If you are planning to both sell and buy a home, then you should consider putting your house up for sale shortly after your purchase offer is accepted. That way you will be able to move directly from one home to the other and minimize how long one of the homes is vacant. Using the same realtor to both sell and buy could make planning and adjustments easier.

I would love to talk with you and give you more specific information and advice. Please give me a call.

Juliana Lee
650-857-1000 (cell phone)
Over 20 years experience selling Silicon Valley real estate
Top 3 realtor nationwide at Keller Williams
I've sold over a thousand homes in Silicon Valley.
-
Web Reference: http://www.julianalee.com
Thank you all for your quick responses. All of you have given very helpful advice that will definitely help my husband and i decide what to do regarding the sale of our home. Thanks again!
you seem to have a home in a nice price range, if you are right in today's market. I strongly suggest to you to consult, and hire a local experienced Realtor to act as your consultant and listing agent providing you with most detailed market evaluation of your homes value in your market area, will help you stage and prepare your home well for sale, so much one can do to make the photos show the home in its best light, moving furniture, removing, staging the home differently, it just depends....
Furthermore a local experienced Realtor, one who will be honest and straightforward with you, will
also be able to show you how busy your area market is at this time and if you should put your home on the market now or after the New Year / Spring.

Here is my little thought, if you are putting your home on the market during a more active part of the
market, not only might you have more buyers looking, but you will at the same time have more ho mescompeting with yours, so may be when there is less competition on the market, yours can stand out.

If you need a recommendation for a good Realtor in your area, let me know and I gladly make some good recommendations.
Hope this helps somewhat

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Sasha; Traditionally the best time to sell is in the spring time but for some reason this last springs buying frenzy has not slowed much. I am still seeing 10 offers on great homes. 50 people through my open houses so normally it would have slowed down some but for some reason Sunnyvale properties are on fire. Being voted 7th best place in the world to raise a family has us still selling homes like hot cakes.

I was born, raised, work and live in Sunnyvale....This is a great place to live and work.
http://www.servingsantaclaracounty.com. lf you or anyone readying this would like a free Competitive Market Analysis to show you the value of your home come to my website above and ask for your free CMA without any obligation of using my services.
Just closed 1230 Cranberry, Sunnyvale, listed $1,298,000 sold it for $1,400,000 and it closed escrow yesterday. Same thing with 1170 Morningside which closed last week for $860K and 1157 Blair which listed for $998K and sold for $1,038,000 last month (all sold in less than 7 days). Is it a good time to sell? My answer would be definitely yes. In many cases, homes I sold in 2006, that we re-sold in 2011-12, we actually exceeded the previous all time high prices of 2006-2008. With inventory in Sunnyvale less than 70 units for both single family and townhouse/condo, you should find the market very brisk and it should sell it very quickly. But the good vs. great result you get is directly tied to who you hire, and the results they have historically achieved. Check a Realtors stats, ask for the list price to sold price ratio, the days on market, how many expired/canceled listings they've had in last year, and ask for recent references. This will help you know who is most likely to help you achieve your best price. Wishing you all the best!
It depends on your reason and goals. As a general statement it is a very good time to sell! I had over 50 people through my open house today.

Our inventory is seasonably low and buyers are still hoping to catch those low interest rates. It appears most if not all listings are getting multiple offers.

Have an amazing day!
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
Sasha,
The demand is very high. Many buyers do not have school age children so there does not seem to be a let up in the number of buyers out there at this time of year. While it is possible that your home may be worth more next spring than now, it is not a certainty. Things in the outside world can happen to make the market change so if you sell now you may be leaving money on the table, but if you sell next spring values may not be as good as they are currently. As of today there are only 14 townhomes/condos on the market in Sunnyvale that are resales. Of those, none are in 94089, and none are less than 13 years old. As you can see there is no competition right now which makes this an ideal time to be on the market. Also recent sales have been in the 645-665K range which is in your target price.

Hope that helps!
Marcy Moyer
http://www.marcymoyer.com
marcy@marcymoyer.com
650-619-9285
Hi Sasha:

Thanks for your post.

To be frank, while in "normal" years, I might be able to confirm that the market has fallen off after the school season starts, I can't really say that this is the case this year. What we're seeing is a "less robust" market than may have been present in June, July and the early part of August, but it's still the seller's market. In fact, there are many homeowners receiving multiple offers for their homes in the Cumberland section of Sunnyvale, so there is plenty of market there if you want to sell.

As for the price you hope to attain, a lot will be riding on the condition of the home, the location within the community (near a busy street or more within the community) and the comparable sales within the community and in the area. I think a home was listed in Danbury earlier this year, but I did not remember the sales price at the time, so there are comparables to confirm or not your ability to get your target price.

My suggestion is to find a great Realtor to work with you in getting a home evaluation and comparable market analysis. Once you have this information, you'll be better able to judge whether or not you'd like to list now or wait until the spring or summer of 2013.

Good luck to you!
Grace Morioka
Allison James Estates

Buyer rebates and low cost listings!
Absolutely. I just sold one. Call me for details at 408 594-2222.