Home Selling in Libertyville>Question Details

D.l. Horowitz, Home Seller in Libertyville, IL

We are in the dog days of summer and we have not had any showings for awhile. Does the market usually pick up?

Asked by D.l. Horowitz, Libertyville, IL Tue Aug 12, 2008

a little in Sept.-Oct.?

Answers

6
Where have I heard this before?:-) You are definitely not alone whether it's Libertyville or any other surrounding community. Our office has been keeping track for a long time of the number of showings we have every week. We compare it to the number of active listings we currently have. We're averaging about .75-1 showing a week per home. Remember...that is average. There are many properties that haven't seen any showings for quite a while, sometimes a month or two. The ones that seem to get the most activity are either foreclosures, short sales that are priced "below market" or homes that the price has been drasticly reduced to where it is perceived as a great value. August is traditionally a slower month what with people on vacations and children starting school. Today, most buyers start their search on the internet. The homes that have the most pictures usually get the most "hits" or views. What I find interesting is that even through the number of showings on the properties has slowed down, the number of "hits" has stayed pretty much the same. There are a lot of buyers who have to sell their homes first before they can purchase so the interest level is still there. I'm also optimistic about a busier fall season.

Best of luck to you.

Al Aronow
RE/MAX Suburban
Great question! And, the good news is that the answer is "yes"! August and December are super-slow months in the real estate business year. Normally, business picks up after Labor Day. The weekend after Labor Day weekend is the unofficial start of the fall season. Some analysts say that the fall season is the second busiest time of year, spring being the busiest.

I just wrote an article last night on my blog about this very topic. The address is below; you might find it helpful.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 12, 2008
Yeah, August can be a little slow, but once kids are back in school things usually pick up a bit until mid-November. Libertyville right now has about a 7-8 month market time though so things are moving any too quick regardless. If you'd like additional information, we actually send out a quarterly Libertyville Area Market Update along with our guide with to people thinking about buying or selling in Libertyville in the next 3-12 months. If you let me know an address I'd be glad to send you our booklet How To Sell Your Home For Top Dollar...Fast! If you're all set, good look, Libertyville is one of the best seller markets around right now still holding good value. My e-mail is mstodola@ksgmac.com if you'd like either of the offers above. Hang in there and good luck. Mike
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 12, 2008
Old question, wish Trulia would pull old questions...
Does the market slow down or pick up during the summer or fall does not matter . This is a short time horizon. As long as the market has one buyer, that is all you need. Beyond that , you need to have the proper price and condition to attract that one buyer. You would be better served to know the long term trends, what direction they are going and how they effect you.

For example, if the trend is a declining average sales price in your market, you should know if that is slowing, accelerating and how you can ride that trend to a sale. There are other long term trends that, if you are aware of them, will allow you to sell as long as you go along with them and not fight them.

This is just like buying and selling stocks. Ride the trend and you will make money. Fight the market and you will lose out big time.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 4, 2009
Properties have been selling faster in the last 60 days. They do need to be priced right for the market.
Byers want a really good deal and a home in peferct shape. Bit mpw os the time to buy up if you can,as those proeties have been hit the hardest. Let me know if you need more information

Pam Hillebrand
Keller Willimas
847-840-8565
pam.h@kw.com