Lisa Needs To…, Home Seller in 71037

We are having negative showing due to our pets(dogs, cat, ferrets, teenager) should we buy another home and move? Would it be better vacant?

Asked by Lisa Needs To Move, 71037 Mon Jan 31, 2011

We are moving out of state and would like to sell first but it's not working out that well. Tried slahing the price 5,000.

Answers

8
Pets and children can make a home sale a challenging event. Buyers are looking for a home that shows pride of ownership that in their eyes is a reflection of the care the home has been given during the time of ownership.

Litter boxes, fur, and animal odor can be major detractors. Can you farm out the pets temporarily to a friend or family member? If not, some people find relief by locating the pets in an outbuilding or garage. We know for most of us our pets are "family" menbers and not having them with us is most difficult but make no mistake, the critters are not helping the sale of your home.

The home probably would show better empty but it is not our recommendation to move before selling your current property. It would be best to sell first and then move. With regards to the teenager....simply time to hold them accountable.....not clean, neat or organized.....no license, car, gameboy, computer etc. Find out whatever button gets their attention and then.....push it!

This can be done....it's a matter of putting together a plan and sticking to it!

Best of luck,

Lisa,

Bills answer below is right on. To add to that some buyers have allergies to specific animals for example I have had clients with severe allegies to cats. Sometimes to the point if the showing instructions said there would be a cat, they would cancel the showing. Sometimes, their allergies are not that bad, they go into a home and next thing they are walking out with puffy eyes.

My niece has ferrets...cut as a bug...I don't know about yours? but I cannot deny that although I think the ferrets are cute, they have a distinct odor that some may find offensive.

With residential real estate, unless your property is in shambles and being marketed to investors, it is often times about the psychology of a home. A wrong smell, something that sets off a buyers allergies, a strong color, can often times have a reaction on a Buyer.

Teenagers? Well, what can I say...I have 2 of them! Best bet is to bribe them. Money talks. If that does not work take away the cell phone (that kills them), the Playstation, Xbox or any other electrical game item, take away the laptop or desktop computer... when these things are taken away they will do almost anything to get them back. But, I still like bribing them.

Put a note on the teenagers door and ask your listing agent to play along. The note reads, and make it big -- "Dear all showing agents...my parents and I have a deal. If you give good feedback about my room looking clean, I earn $(put in amount of dollars)...so help me out I am a teen who needs stuff...if you think I did a good job on my room... let our listing agent know by calling XXX-XXX-XXXX (Please use your cell phone and call right now) Thanks (insert teenager name)"

Always let the teenager know when you have a showing...once they earn some cash. Normally, they are motivated to earning more. They not only WANT showings...they will ask you when the next showing is.

Tammy Deitz
RE/MAX 100
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 31, 2011
There is only one thing worse than showing a vacant house, it is a house that smells and is a mess.

There has been some good advice here. However most of the answers miss the real point.

The real estate professional who is helping you sell your house should be your main resource. If you are having to spend your time looking for information, you need to rethink who you hired. Not all real estate professionals are the same.

Contrary to the advice, the first step is do not clean the litter box, the first step is to get a professional who will take care of you. You should be spending time on the move, not chasing down these type of questions.

If you would like specifics, go to http://www.Zip711.com and click the Trulia menu tab.

I am a real estate professional and I help clients buy and sell real estate in the Shreveport/Bossier area. I interview prospective buyers and sellers on a regular basis. I would be glad to speak with you about opportunities in our area.

Carolyn Grimsley, CRS, ABR
Certified Residential Specialist, Accredited Buyer’s Representative
Licensed by Louisiana Real Estate Commission

Realty Executives SB
In Bossier, 4012 Benton Rd suite 110
In Shreveport, 8575 Fern Avenue Suite 105
Each company independently owned and operated
http://www.Zip711.com
Web Reference: http://www.zip711.com
Find a cheap place to rent.

Pets, animal smells, teenager--look, there's no way you'll get the house looking and smelling clean with all of you still there. You can bribe your teen all you want, move the animals from room to room, etc. Won't work. It just won't work.

Hey, you've already cut your price by $5,000. You might have to cut it some more. Think of how you could better use that money.

Bluntly, there are a lot of people who wouldn't buy your home at any price if it smells like--or looks like--a zoo.

Don't get me wrong. I like animals; we have two cats. And I like kids--I have one myself. So I'm not anti-pet or anti-kid. But the fact is, you'll never get your house into acceptable, marketable, desirable shape so long as they're all around.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Plese price it right and market it properly it will sell.
We have put the ferrets in the garage and the dogs are staying outside but going in crates in the garage during bad weather (it's freezing at night) and we keep the cat outside. We have a fan going in the garage and mop the floors with odoban and have candles going during showings. We are still getting odor complaints. I can't smell it. People seem offended just by the dogs being in the backyard. It just seems like it would show better without us. I love Tammy's idea about the sign!
With all those animals there is a good chance you have strong animal odors in the home. Nothing kills marketability and equity in a home as much as bad odors. The best thing you can do is vacate the home or get the pets out, and do whatever is necessay to purge any odor.
It's probably cheaper to board the teenager and the pets than to vacate and then attempt to make the place look warm and homey. But it's difficult when all of the animals (and the teenager) aren't "with the program."