Remy Chan, Home Buyer in San Ramon, CA

We are currently looking for an agent with good negotiation skills in the Gale Ranch area to sell our home.

Asked by Remy Chan, San Ramon, CA Sat Jun 7, 2008

My question is - what is the current average commission for the listing agent. Is it negotiable?

Answers

9
Hi Remy,

Commissions are ALWAYS negotiable and should depend on exactly what you would like your agent to do for you are far as service. For example, do you just want your property listed on the MLS, or are you looking for full service to include proper setting of sales price, negotiating skills, marketing strength and full contract management. The old saying, "You get what you pay for." applies here.

Also remember that the total commission is being split between the Listing agent and the Buyer's agent. This split is also important to know when signing your listing agreement.

If you are looking for an example of advanced marketing for a listing simply send an email to 906@Steven-Anthony.com (it will be automatically sent to you). Of course, I would be happy to meet with you as well.

Steven A. Ornellas, GRI, ABR, e-PRO, CMPS, RE Masters, MBA
REALTOR® / Mortgage Banker-Broker / Certified Mortgage Planning Specialist

Steven Anthony Real Estate & Financial Services
Cell: 510.461.6011 Skype: brokersteve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 7, 2008
Hi Remy,

Everything is negotiable! As you know, negotiating is a way of life in some cultures. Negotiation is a skill that takes many years of practice. Besides negotiation for real estate transactions, I negotiate all aspects in my life. Negotiation has become 2nd nature to me and I find it very challenging and rewarding especially when it is a win-win situation for both parties. Although there are many other factors that are important in real estate, negotiation is definitely one of them. I would love to share with you all the different areas that would be just as important which will affect having a successful selling experience. Please contact me directly for more detail of my negotiation skills and real estate transactions. Also, you will find that I take ownership in every transaction which is such an important factor since it correlates with negotiation. Since I am also a property owner in San Ramon, I definitely have much interest in getting top dollars for your property since it affects my property as well. I look forwarding in hearing from you and hopefully have the opportunity to partner with you in one of the most important transaction of you life.

Margaret Fong
925-984-7801
Web Reference: http://www.MargaretFong.com
Remy, please inform us of your choice upon completion of your search. I am very interested on how this platform performed for you? Best of Luck! The Coach
Web Reference: http://askPCR.com
Remy
You have some very useful advice here in these responses. The key is to interview three Realtors with consistent questions so you can compare apples to apples.

The points I would focus my attention are these:
1. How well do they analyze your situation, your property, and your goals?
A good Realtor spends time figuring out exactly what the seller plans to accomplish by selling the property and moving.
2. How do they analyze the market and how the sale of your home will impact your plans?
Is the market going up, down, sideways? When your home hits the market, who will be the competitors? Buyers on average look at 10-12 homes when they buy,how soes yours stack up?
3. How do they plan to market you property?
What are the features of your home that have the most value? How will they expose these to the market place? What suggestions do they have to increase the perceived value of your home?
4. What results to they expect and what will they do if the results are not achieved?
All this activity is great, but you want results. In most markets you need 10-12 showings to get an offer. Most listings sell closest to asking price during the first 30 days, so their plans should convince you that they can make this happen, but what if you only have one showing in the first two weeks?

Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
As a local REALTOR in San Ramon and living here since 1987 I feel I know the area well. Therefore, I would be happy to set up an appointment with you to discuss your concerns. If negotiating is your main concern than your agent if a good negotiator should be able to keep their pay and the buying agents pay which equals 3% for each, total 6%. If your agent can't negotiate with you to keep their pay, will he/she be able to do a good job negotiating for you in regards to the selling price of your home. joanne@joanneLiotta.com
Web Reference: http://JoanneLiotta.com
Three of our team have corporate negotiating skills backgrounds from International Marketing Rights to Union Labor negotiations. One team member was a sales manager for a national new home builder and negotiated hundreds of new home contracts. One team member is an Internet marketing specialist.

We just had a home in Windermere go into contract with six competing bids that drove the price up close to the asking price.

Commissions are negotiable. Do not get fixated on the commission as the most important factor. Too many sellers do this and lose money.

Who is going to do the best job marketing your home to get it sold in the shortest amount of time, with the least hassles and headaches for you?
Web Reference: http://www.HarperMees.com
Remy:

I am not sure if you are buying or selling (your profile shows homebuyer, your question asks about negotiating listing agent commissions), yet my advice is the same either way.

As you interview agents in your area, remember that its not about the commission you pay to get your home sold, it is about the money you put in your pocket when escrow closes. And, as a buyer, it is not about the commission the agent makes, its about someone looking out for your interests as if they were their own. Make sure you are working with the best and that will help you get the best price possible.

I would like to recommend one of the best negotiators I have ever had the privelege to work with, and you are in luck, because she works your area. I have recommended her before and can tell you, if I were buying or selling in your area, I would use no one else. Her name is Bonnie King, and she is with Rockcliff Realtors. You can contact her by phone at 925-736-8411 or by e-mail at bonnieking@earthlink.net. I have also included her website if you want to check that out first.

Best of luck in your homebuying endeavors and Dare to Dream.
If the agent representing you (the listing agent) has good negotiation skills, and is guarding you and your money, (and won't give any of it away) then they are going to be worth the generally accepted 3% commission. With all the selection of homes out there, it is very difficult to get the other agents in the market to show your home unless you are offering at least 2.5% to the agent that brings the buyer, for a total commission going out from your sale price of at least 5.5% to as high as you want to go (I saw one listing with 6% going to the agent that brought the buyer - no mention of how much the listing agent got...)

When you are paying for full service, be sure you get full service - not all agents are alike. Feel free to call me if you have other questions.
Hello Remy,

Rather than focus on commission, I would suggest you focus on results. The value of getting where you need to be, sooner rather than later, can overcome any benefit of paying a reduced commission. The old adage is true, you generally get what you pay for...and you want to pay for results.

As you well know, a skilled negotiator can save you money by negotiating the fine points of the transaction. I'd love to speak with you further. Meanwhile, please check out my website at http://www.BestTriValleyHomes.com and my blogs at http://www.VickieSellsHomes.com. I think you will find that I am a local resource that merits an appointment.

Vickie Nagy
(925) 407-7987