Please watch this recently aired ABC News segment which addresses medical errors and emphasizes the importance of obtaining second opinions:
I am puzzled. If you have enough trust in your Realtor to list your home, why are you unsure about the price?
In most cases it sounds like you want to list it for a higher price, is that your case? Remember that the List Price is a MARKETING TOOL. It is designed, along with the other marketing efforts, to attract buyers AND OFFERS. I would be very leary of a Realtor that would "tell you what you want to hear". We have a term for that and it's called "buying a listing".
If you really have a concern you might want to try this. I take my sellers to look at some other homes with which they will be competing. We compare these homes to the sellers and objectively decide what list price it will take to get the home sold. Ask your Realtor to show you your competition. The average buyer looks at 10-12 homes before they make an offer.
I don't think you should pay someone to give you a second opinion. If you are already planning to work with a particular agent be up front about your intentions and ask them to take it back to other agents in their office to get their opinion of value.
If they are offended by your request it should raise a red flag about the agent. Just make sure to let them know you expect them to seek objective opinions and let them know you plan to work with them regardless but you want to be sure.
You're right it's your biggest asset and you should ask.
You can interview another agent and get a free CMA. But, if you do that you always run the risk of another agent trying to "buy" your listing by giving you the false impression they can sell your property for more than the last agent told you.
If you are pretty sure that you will use the one agent you have a relationship with, that is a great loyalty.... you can your preferred agent to hold a brokers open BEFORE the listing goes public and get feedback on the price from other agents-in her office or others. Or, you can just ask her if there is another agent in her office that would give her a second opinion before it's listed.
I would just explain to her that you know pricing in this market is key, and difficult even for the best, most experienced agent, since the market is fluid... and you are highly motivated and want to sell quickly without leaving any money on the table. I think she'd respect that a great deal. I know I would.
Or, you can ask any agent to provide a CMA for a fee - completely negotiable. It;s totally your call... whatever makes you feel more comfortable.
And to note agents will do comps. of your area for suggested listing prices for free as part of their presentation to you (I do) so you shouldn't have to worrk about paying someone to give you a general overview of the market in your area. Good luck! If you'd like for me to do a second opinion, I would be more than happy to- Kristin Laurandeau-409-8892 or firstname.lastname@example.org