Home Selling in Naples>Question Details

Richard Jarv…, Home Seller in Naples, FL

Waterfront home for sale, but no traffic. Is MLS really that necessary?

Asked by Richard Jarvis, Naples, FL Sun Nov 25, 2012

Answers

16
Annette Lawrence’s answer
Richard,
Let's not make this a one-way conversation. Tell us what you have done to date to advertise your home.
1. Did you put a sign in the yard?
2. Local newspaper?
3. CraigsList?
4. Did you pay $2,500 to put on FSBO site?
5. Did you pay for the services of a Flat Fee broker?
6. Did you employ a discount broker?
7. Did you use a bigger advertiser like WSJ or other 'blue chip' publication?
8. What exactly were the results.
9. What makes you believe the results you experienced is not what should be expected?

High activity with no offers requires an approach much different than low ball offers.
So, let us hear the rest of the story.
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us

PS: Where do you think the majority of data originates that appears on Trulia and Zillow?
Is the MLS really that necessary? Depends on the other resources that are available and you choose to use. A real estate professional can find you a buyer without the MLS, but it would be much more difficult for a citizen to access a large population of buyer and achieve the same results.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012
Richard-

I won't state the obviously, which is clearly distinguished by the statements below. However, if you are the least bit interested in listing your home with a Realtor, it's very important you hire the right Realtor. You should interview multiple Realtors, and see what some may offer you that others can't.

I invite you to visit my newly launched website http://NaplesHomes.com

Feel free to contact me with any questions!

Ryan Schwartz, Realtor
White Sands Realty
239.244.1559
NaplesHomes.com
YES...MLS is necessary, it allows every agent in that works in your area to see that the home is available for sale. It multiplies exponentially the amount of showings you will get, and therefore the opportunities of finding a buyer.

Of course, MLS will not do miracles. If upon arrival to the property the agent and buyer discover the property is not in good condition or it is overpriced...the negotiation may start or they may walk away. But they came to see it and that is what MLS will provide, TRAFFIC.

Homes that don't get seen don't sell.
Richard,
I would have to agree with most of the information below. To your question, "Is MLS really that necessary?", the answer may be no, but I agree that the bigger question is the exposure you're getting. You might also want to consider these questions:

1. Are you ready to spend $10,000 - $20,000 to market your property? ( approximate cost that you would have to spend to get the same exposure a REALTOR is going to get for you through their own advertising and that of their company).
2. Why would you spend this up front on your on when if price or other considerations that might be handled by a real estate professional are now hindering your selling it at all?
3. If you hire an experienced REALTOR, the costs of marketing will be paid for by the REALTOR and their company, so you're not out anything if it doesn't sell.
4. The fact that you're getting no traffic certainly indicates that it's either vastly overpriced or no one's aware that it's for sale.
5. Why would you hide your property from approximately 5,000-6,000 professional, licensed Sales People (approximate number of REALTORS in Naples & Bonita Springs) when you could have all of them working to sell your home for you?
6. Statistics show that homes generally sell for more through a REALTOR than For Sale By Owner.

Hopefully you do not think that you're saving money by selling it yourself. I'd love to discuss this with you if you'd like.
Dear Richard Jarvis,

As you can see, what other Agents are saying, YES, the MLS is important, but not just the MLS. Advertising on the HOT INTERNET.

WHY???? Over 87% of buyers start with the Internet to search for there next home. We here at Premiere Plus Realty advertise on the MLS + over 99 other websites to get your listing sold. With over 500 Agent in this area and more than that in listings, we do sell if the home is priced right.

Here is the link for Gulf Access Waterfront Homes:

http://realestate.naplesinflorida.com/i/5000/gulf_frontage_homes

Feel free to contact me for a free market analysis on your property.

Thank you and I look forward hearing back from you.

Dimitri Schwarz, Realtor
Premiere Plus Realty
239.992.9119
http://Naplesinflorida.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012
Since most buyers these days have searched the Internet for weeks, months, or sometimes years before they are comfortable with buying, especially in a second home market like Naples, MLS is the most important tool you can use. By listing your home with a Realtor and having it in the MLS system, it is immediately on several international search engines & can be accessed on many different sites. This is truly the only way to get the traffic you need to get your home sold.

If you'd like to discuss further, feel free to give me a call.

Sherree

Sherree P Woods, PA
DOWNING-FRYE REALTY, INC
180 9th Street S, Suite 300
Naples, FL. 34102

Direct - (865) 250-1000
Office - (239) 261-2244
Richard,

I would highly suggest putting your property on the MLS. By not having your home on there, you're missing out on buyers who have real estate agents. Many agents may have buyers looking for your home, and it's currently being missed out on the market.

Let me know If I can help!

Happy Holidays,

Jamie L. Rodgers
IBR Realty
(248)730-0887
Myrealestatebros.com
Absolutely, We would advise against going it alone. http://www.naplesrealestateguys.com/blog/for-sale-by-owner-a…
I believe your question is how powerful is the Internet as well as, is MLS neccessary. With most buyers being from outside of Naples, the Internet is where they can feel ownership of your home before walking in it. Also, when your listed with Levitan Realtors your property is viewed on Realtor.com, Trulia, Zillow, and hundreds of other real estate related websites. My degree is specific to Internet marketing. Knowing how Google and Yahoo work are essentials in getting thousands of pairs of eyes on your home. With a new lead generation software we've developed we would like to show you the 3-5 qualified buyers we get every week. Of course they don't all engage in a transaction but a lot do. Making a video of your home is paramount to getting looks on You Tube and the various video sites as well. All of this is a small amount of strategy when it comes to selling your home. If you'd like our help or any ideas please feel free to all or email any time.
MLS may not be, but advertising is....I only found your home at one location on the net...and then only by keying in your address. The average buyer is not seeing it. What you get with MLS is exposure...a sign in the yard, a newspaper ad or two, and an almost nonexistent internet presence isn't enough anymore - especially for a house closing in on a half-mil. That's just to get it noticed...getting it to contract is something else again...marketing it yourself means you and the buyer will be trying to save the commissions....and you both can't keep it, so negotiating won'rt be for the faint of heart - particularly since at least one of you will have an emotional attachment to the property and the commission. Good agents generally do earn their pay. When you're ready to explore that option, please drop us an email of call.
Richard,
You are not getting traffic for two reasons in this market. One is price and the other is expsosure. If you do not have these two things your are going to have a very hard time selling.
Also most sellers end up with more in there pocket with a realtor handling there sale as FSBO property usually takes longer on the market.
I stopped paper ads 3 years ago as everything is internet based with 98% buyers.
Hope this helps.
Feel free to contact me with any other questions you my have.

Leann Anerson
leannNaples@aol.com
http://www.naplesrealtyfinder.com
http://www.naplesbeachandhomes.com
239-777-1823
Hi Richard,

I presume you are working on selling your property by yourself.
In this case, I am sorry to be blunt, you are wasting your time and you are inviting all types of unqualified individuals to trample through your home.
First, let me start by reminding you that over 93% of home buyers start their search on line. I am not making this up, this is a statistic offered by the National Association of Realtors. Having your property listed on the local MLS exposes your home to an excess of 4500 other real estate agents who might be working with a buyer looking for a property just like yours.
However, just having an agent list your property on the MLS is not enough. Your agent must also market it through other channels like direct mail, internet marketing, social media, web syndication etc.
There are many great ways to expose your property and achieve the highest price possible in the shortest amount of time.
Should you like to speak to me about this process, please don't hesitate to give me a call or email me at carmen@getnaples.com
Also, if you would like to get a free CMA( comparative market analysis) for your property you can go to this link on one of my websites: http://www.mynaplespark.com/naples-park-CMA.html

Carmen Badan Foege
Web Reference: http://www.getnaples.com
Hi Richard,
The MLS provides exposure to all of the other agents, plus it automatically links to other sites that the general public uses to search properties.

Internet exposure is one of many factors that contribute to a sale. I also create single property websites and videos, and have sold homes that way, even some before they were placed on MLS. The exposure is global.

There are other factors contributing to your lack of traffic. Your marketing is crucial along with a feature/benefit strategy to substantiate value. You may need to have your property repackaged to attract buyers.

Yours,
Mary Horesco
Downing-Frye Realty, Inc.
239-293-9434

"Voted #1 by Naples Daily News Readers 10 Years in a Row"
Web Reference: http://www.maryhoresco.com
Absolutely, as 90% of searches start online, you are missing out on valuable market exposure. Working with Coldwell Banker, we promote our listings all globally on over 550 websites. We have access to millions of buyers daily and most Naples buyers are buying a second home from out of the area. Call me if you would like to know how we successfully market homes.
Yes, it is, no matter where you live........................may I assume from your question that you're doing this (selling) on your own?

If so.it doesn't sound like it's working out so well for you.................might want to rethink your strategy!
Not enough information here but is it possible you are overpriced, inside pictures on the listing, easy to show the property?
While examining the neighboring area, and even up to Ft Myers, we seem to be in the middle especially with all the features. Web sites and craigslist postings, many photos. Here is ours
http://www.sharphome.com/130731
Flag Sun Nov 25, 2012