Home Selling in Naperville>Question Details

Refresh73, Home Seller in Dupage County, IL

Want to quickly sell a Georgian home in Franklin Park. What improvements are a must to sell? Also, any recommendations for a good Realtor in F.P.?

Asked by Refresh73, Dupage County, IL Wed Jul 25, 2012

The home is a 2-story and hasn't been updated in years. We don't want to sink a lot of money into it, but are willing to make some improvements in order to sell.

Answers

7
Hi Refresh....have you sold this home yet or is it on the market? I have a current pre-approved buyer looking in the area and willing to do some updates/work. We were out last weekend and going out again this Friday. Reply directly to my personal contact info below because clicking the reply link below does not alert us or get forwarded to us.

Lester S.
"Lester the Lister"
RE/MAX 1st
630.207.2532
LestertheLister@yahoo.com
Thank you for posting your question...
I would recommend focusing on the items that propose a safety issue. Cosmetic items are secondary. Contact me and I will refer to you a couple of local agents that are experts in your market.
The most important thing to take care of is anything that may be a saftey hazard. (like ground fault outlets) One thing that may help you with marketing your home is to get a home inspection prior to selling. This will give you a list of repairs a buyer might ask for, plus to advertise you have a clean bill of health from a home inspection brings the picky buyer. Hope this helps.
The best way to decide what you need to update and how soon you could put it out in the market would be to get an agent to come over and see your house. Also, quick changes, some reasonable updates depending on the present situation of the house can sometimes work great and the house can be ready for you to market.

If you are not ready to pump in more money then get an expert's opinion (an agent) and price it right .An agent would be able to do a CMA of what was sold in your area recently and look at the inside of those properties and then compare it with yours to help you reach a decision of the right market value.

I can connect you to some agents in that area and they will be able to guide you.

Hope this helps!!
Hi Refresh73,

I would invite three agents to view your home and give you ideas of what's needed to be done to make your home attractive to buyers in in your town. If you would like, I can do a little study to see whom I think would be good and have them contact you.

Marianne Hofmann
630-664-9472
MarianneHofmann@att.net
Web Reference: http://MarianneHofmann.com
Put yourself in the shoes of a potential buyer before your house is listed for sale. Look critically at your space to see what might be updated, cleared out, or spruced up. Many times there are simple fixes that will make all the difference.
Overall, buyers want to buy a home that has no deferred maintenance, newer appliances, updated plumbing, electrical and heating (including a/c), modern conveniences and is ready to occupy.
Hope this helps.
Shahzana Ripp
In my opinion your focusing on the wrong thing. If your looking to sell quickly and dont want to make major updates to the home, then you need to focus on price. I do have blog on preparing your home for sale at: http://yourdenverhouse.com/fine/real/estate/blog ; This should help you, but ultimately every transaction comes down to value. If your price is the same as the updated home next door, a buyer will pick the updated home. Your price should reflect your homes condition for a buyer to see the value in purchasing your home. A Realtor should be able to assist you in pricing your home properly for the current condition.