Home Selling in Cobleskill>Question Details

Amy, Home Seller in Schoharie County, NY

WHAT PERCENT GOES TO REALTOR?

Asked by Amy, Schoharie County, NY Wed Apr 23, 2008

WHEN SELLING HOW MUCH DOES REALTORS MAKE

Answers

7
I have to agree with Gail on this one. I never imply any kind of "usual" commission. Every contract is negotiable.

I believe that a lot of people think that real estate agents must be rich because of how much they pay out in commissions when they sell their home. Here is a scenario to illustrate where the money might typically go.

Lets pretend a home sells at $100,000 @ 6% commission. Typically that $6,000 would be split four ways. First it’s split between buying side and selling side and typically again between broker and agent. So after I split my side of the contract with my broker…I have $1,500. Then I pay franchise fees and other expenses. So my actual paycheck out of the $6,000 is about $1,358.

Keep in mind I haven't paid taxes, MLS dues, Supra keys, E&O ins., Local, State, and National REALTOR® dues, marketing and advertising to get more business and much more.

Today’s gas price is $3.59 a gallon and that’s the cheap gas. Today I drove 40 minutes one-way to put a sign in the yard. Tomorrow…three more signs.

My company does not provide life, health, disability, vision or dental…nothing.
All of those things that conventional jobs deduct from a two-week paycheck are not included in the job. Then what is left over can finally start being allocated to living expenses like the mortgage, groceries, utilities, etc.

Oh yeah, no paid vacations, no paid holidays, no paid personal days, no paid sick days, and no guaranteed paycheck. No sale, no money…no matter how many hours you work. With all that said…I still love it.
There are NO set commissions; that would constitute anti trust violations. Every Realtor sets their own value.

If they are with a large company, corporate international will take a % off the top of the Realtor's earnings. Then the Broker takes a percentage.

Realtors are independent contractors and they have to pay their own health insurance, E & O Insurance, Board Fees, Car Expenses, Gas, Insurance, Pension funds, Life Insurance, FICA, Medicare, Social Security and anything else you would normally have deducted before you received your paycheck.

On top of that, Realtors then have to pay out the Fed Tax, State Tax and any other local taxes out of that check. Then there is the MARKETING costs! What the Realtor ends up with, is miniscule.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
Amy
I suggest you consider this question: Is the commission rate more important than the dollar amount you net at closing?
It's the net amount.
So the question I would ask is this:
How can I make sure that I net the highest dollar amount possible when I sell my home?
That question opens up a lot of territory that will help you grasp the issues at hand.

OTOH, let's talk about reduced commission rates. Most markets are buyer's markets, so you are probably is. If the buyer that first sees the home they buy sees it with a Realtor, you probably want to offer at least "market rate" commission to the selling office.

So you could list with an MLS entry only broker, or a discount broker. In my MLS (and no offense intended to anyone...these are just the stats), they have three important characteristics
1. The list price versus sale price ratio is 2.6% - 4.5% LOWER than the average
2. Their listings FAIL TO SELL 50% more often than the average
3. Their listings take longer to sell, when they do sell

So unless you've got money to burn and time to kill, I would interview three Realtors. Ask them to prepare an Estimate of Seller's Net Proceeds. Know that homes that sell in the first 30 days sell at closest to asking price. So a home needs to receive at least ten showings or two offers in the first two weeks, or a price adjustment is in order. If the buyer is brought by a Realtor 90% of the time, Realtors know values, and buyers are looking for good values.

Assuming your market is average, price slightly below market. The market will not let your home sell under market value.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
As a person licensed to sell real estate in Alabama, we are independent contractors. We pay all of our expenses and we do not receive any income unless we have a closing. We pride ourselves in providing buyers and sellers with excellent service, and give our time, knowledge, and advice so the person we are working with can buy/sell a house.

Once an agent closes the transaction it is a little different depending on the broker, the agent will receive about 70 % of the percentage paid to the broker. The expenses have to come out of this amount and then of course the taxes so most realtors bring home less than one percent of the sell amount.
Real estate transactions involve one of the biggest financial investments most people experience in their lifetime. Transactions today usually exceed $100,000. If you had a $100,000 income tax problem, would you attempt to deal with it without help of a CPA? If you had a $100,000 legal question, would you deal with it without the help of an attorney? Considering the small upside cost and the large downside risk , it would be unwise to consider a deal in real estate without the professional assistance of a REALTOR.

Realtors are pledged to a strict Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice. Working for America's property owners, the National Assoication provides a facility for professional development, research and exchange of information among its members and to the public and government for the purpose of preserving the free enterprise system and the right to own real estate property.

The term Realtor is registerd collective membership mark that identifies a real estate professional who is a member of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS and suscribes to its strict Code of Ethics.
Web Reference: http://www.realtor.com
Commission is usually 6% listing agent normally takes 3%
Amy,

A common commission is 6% split between the listing and selling agent. Sometimes a seller will offer a 4% selling commission and a 2% listing commission to encourage agents to show the property.