Colleen Pouk…, Home Buyer in Scappoose, OR

WHAT IS THE GOING TIME IT TAKES TO SELL YOU'RE HOUSE? IS TWO IN A HALF MONTHS ON THE MARKET ALONG TIME?

Asked by Colleen Poukkula, Scappoose, OR Thu Jul 12, 2012

OUR HOUSE HAS BEEN ON THE MARKET TWO IN A HALF MONTHS NOW. STILL NO OFFERS.

Answers

11
Hi Colleen,
So - I just pulled up your home. Brutal Truth? You have way too much stuff and lots of really big furniture. I assume the majority of Buyers looking at your home are First Time Home Buyers. Often times they have a hard time imagining what a home will look like with your stuff gone and after they have painted and removed carpet.
The market in your area is selling well - provided the house is worthy. Buyer's jump quick when a good house comes up. I think you could have a good house, it just needs some purging and sprucing.

I realize how much stuff we accumulate over the years and it's all important to us. But the reality is, when there is too many things in a house, Buyers can't see the house. Since you will eventually have to move all your things is it a possibility for you to move some now? Possibly a storage unit if you don't have somewhere else for it to go. If you are downsizing and will be getting rid of things now is the time to start. According to your listing you have a dog. A home with carpeting and pets is usually very evident, especially to a Buyer without a pet.

If you were to take the house off the market, remove all the decor and furniture that wasn't vital to your daily life, maybe get a smaller couch, clean carpets or better yet remove them, get a fresh coat of paint on the walls including removing paneling and mirror wall tiles, take new photos and then re-list. I bet it would sell . . . probably full price . . . probably quickly

Talk to your Realtor - find out what you can do to help get the house sold.

Best of Luck!
Diane Moreau
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 12, 2012
I agree with all the answers you have already received. The bottom line is If the home is priced appropriately than it will sell quickly. And by quickly I mean a few days. No amount of marketing will sell an overpriced listing.

Good luck to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 12, 2012
Price is the key to sales especially when inventory is light. It is hard to reduce your price but if showings are light then it could be price. If you are high end this amount of time is nothing. What does your agent say? If you are at $100,000 you should have sold in a week. Good luck. Tom Inglesby
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 12, 2012
Our avg. market time in your area (97203) is under 100 days. The time on market ultimately depends on a few other issues with your home.....price point, location (is it a busy road) and condition. That said, we are seeing property sell (accept an offer) in days right now (not weeks or months), due to low inventory. Without knowing anything else about your home, I'm going to assume your price is off, hence no offers. What has been the feedback you have received from the buyers that have viewed it?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 12, 2012
If that is the case, then your LISTING PRICE is too high;
I would assume that your Realtor has told you this;
Please believe him.

Good luck and may God bless
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 12, 2012
As a general rule, I really believe it should take no longer than 60 days to get your home sold...in the vast majority of cases. Note: this applies less to rural homes.
The home will sell faster if it is are priced right, staged effectively and marketed exceptionally well with a large online reach. Price is King!

Talk to your Realtor.

Drea
The average amount of time that a house is on the market depends greatly on the area. The best thing to do is talk to your agent and ask what you can do to help make your home sell. Be open minded and consider their response. You may need to consider a decrease in the price or stage your home differently.
You home is listed . . . talk to your agent. Let them know that you posted this on Trulia . . . I'm sure all the other agents' answers will delight your agent and they'll find it interesting that you're legally being represented and are asking for "feed back" If you hired your agent, then you did so for a reason. Not a nice thing to do if you're going behind their back to get questions answered.
Hello Colleen,

This is a question you should ask your listing agent. Overall in North Portland, average market time is 87 days, as per the latest RMLS Market Action Report. Every home is different. Size, condition, updates, location all will factor in to which home sells and which one lingers on the market. It looks like here are only two other houses in a half mile radius of yours with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, priced under $180,000.

Your listing agent will be able to show you which homes have gone pending or sold, since your home was listed. She will also be able to show you the current active comparables, which are your current competition. All of this information will help you and your agent to determine if a price adjustment or some simple updating might make your home more desireable to buyers.

Sally Mehalovich, Principal Broker
Amerivest Realty
http://www.PDXHomePros.com
503-781-7575
From the first day or marketing to completion of a sale, two and a half months is not long. My goal with my clients is to price and market their homes to sell within 60 to 90 days. Once in contract with a buyer, it's not uncommon to take 45 to 60 days to get through the inspection and financing contingencies and bring the deal to closing.