Home Selling in Quincy>Question Details

Remodeler, Home Seller in Quincy, MA

Value of adding a second bath before selling house?

Asked by Remodeler, Quincy, MA Mon Apr 25, 2011

Our small house has only one bathroom, which is located on the first floor off the kitchen. The house has three bedrooms, one on the first floor and two on the second. Is there a way to estimate how much value (or how many dollars) a second bath would add to the house? This would be a simple bath with a shower, sink, and toilet -- no fancy tiles or fixtures -- estimated to cost about $20,000. We're trying to figure out if we could expect to get the cost of the bath back when we sell in a year....Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Answers

7
Actually, that $20K estimate doesn't sound too high to me (an investor) for the cost. The bulk of that cost will be in handling the various plumbing related issues.

Although adding that bathroom might help to improve the quality of life for someone living there, I doubt that it would add an additional $20K to your sales price if you were to sell a year later. Contrary to all of the garbage that's been put out there via some design shows, the reality falls more in line with what Alan initially stated: "It's going to depend largely on the properties available in your area, as to whether this makes sense to do, or not."

If most of the other houses in your neighborhood have at least 2 baths, then you might want to consider adding one to be competitive. Yet, adding another bath isn't the only way to be competitive. You could add more value to your future listing by offering to sell for a slightly lower price than your competition, offering more flexible terms, including something like a gift card to a restaurant or store for the new future owner, etc. Plus, you'd be more likely to receive a higher return for actual dollars spent.
Remodeler:

It depends on your market place and how much square footage your home has. $20,000 is the very top end of the price range for this project and that would be close to my expected return on investment. You might be better served to do a half bath upstairs for a lot less money and still would yield a ROI on you investment. Best
Absolutely... so you have one of the old style capehouses with the 2 large BR's on the 2nd floor and the bath on the first in the middle. These are super-hard to sell. $20K seems high for sure, unless you need to dormer, but honestly it would probably add at least that much or more to the home. In addition the time to sell will be reduced greatly since few buyers want to commute to their bathroom so far.
No doubt adding a second bathroom adds value to your home. There are fewer and fewer single family homes with only 1 bath and typically those take a lot longer to sell. The addition will also help when appraising the home. $20,000 seems a little high, I have contacts that are licensed that may be able to beat that price. If you would like please feel free to contact me about that.
I say absolutely. Who wants to walk through the kitchen in a towel. Most older homes have this, but today's buyers don't want guests to see their soap scum and dandruff shampoo.
You need to look at the competition in your area. Those with one bath and those with two. No matter if you get the price all back, you will probably sell more quickly which is money in your pocket as well.
It's going to depend largely on the properties available in your area, as to whether this makes sense to do, or not.

I doubt you'll recover the full cost of paying for a second bath, but if you do it properly, it will make your home much easier to sell. I can tell you that I would never purchase a home with only a single bath again, unless it was a one bedroom condo.

A three bedroom house is designed for a small family, and a small family is going to want (if they can afford it) at least a bath and a half.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201