AP23, Both Buyer and Seller in Marlboro, NJ

Upgrades prior to selling.

Asked by AP23, Marlboro, NJ Sun May 4, 2014

We plan on selling our house in Spring 2015. We live off of School Rd West in ranch house that was built around 1969 ( I think). It's an old house, WE KNOW. We have recently upgraded our kitchen ( Granite counters, Cherry cabinets, SS appliances), bathrooms need a touchup, new hardwood floors. Here are our concerns:
1) Wiring in the house is all aluminum. Should we pig tail, change all the wiring, do nothing?
2) Old shingles. Paint the exterior, change the shingles?
3) Small closests. Don't think I can do much about it.
4) Older roof.

We don't want our house to be on the market for a while. I am unsure if I should make any of these major changes and not see any benefit in return. We are currently in process of De-cluttering our house as much as we can, not that it is to begin with. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Answers

4
I agree with Nancy on the pre-listing inspection. This article may help. http://www.naplesrealestateguys.com/blog/home-inspections-in…
Hi AP23,

Its great that you are thinking of issues that may arise when you put your home for sale. I agree with getting a pre-listing inspection. You will know then what condition your home and all its components are in. This way you can decide what you are willing to address prior to listing your home and what you will determine will be "as is". You and your agent can then price the home accordingly.

Power washing the outside, de-cluttering and a fresh coat of paint will go a long way as you have already upgraded your kitchen and have new hardwood floors.

Make the house look as "shiny and new" as possible, address what your budget allows you to and price it right and your home will sell.

If you need any assistance in this process please give me a call, I would be happy to help you and your family make the right moves.

Nancy Loureiro
Gloria Nilson & Co. Real Estate
Cell 732-996-7713
nloureiro@glorianilson.com
Best case scenario depending on your budget...you should without a doubt hire a professional electrician to advise on your wiring. Hire a professional painter to paint the exterior and replace any shingles as necessary, a new roof would be a plus-again hire a professional. As for inside and decluttering- step back and look around through a buyers eyes to gain their perspective. Good luck with your sale!
Hi AP23,
It sounds like you are the right track in preparing your home for sale in advance . You might want to consider having a prelist home inspection. They will do a home inspection and termite inspection for you the same as a buyer will have done when they buy your home. The advantage is that you will find out first hand the condition of all the major systems in the house including the roof,electric, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, windows, etc and it will also include recommendations on how to correct them if needed. I think this will save you a lot of time and guess work.

Regarding cosmetic issues, a lot of older homes have smaller closets, De-cluttering, cleaning,painting and repairing all worn faded surfaces on the exterior and interior is a plus

If you have any questions regarding the sale of your home feel free to contact me.

Joan Congilose
RE/MAX Central Manalapan
Cell (732) 232-5277