Steve, Home Buyer in Morristown, NJ

Two bedrooms are painted for children. One has an Alice in Wonderland feel and the other had a western motif. Should I paint over these themes?

Asked by Steve, Morristown, NJ Sun Apr 25, 2010

Answers

17
Steve,

Kind of six of one, half a dozen of another. If it's tasetfully done (IE: not overwhelming designs and NOT painting over wallpaper !!! ) you could leave it for potential buyers who may have children. On the other hand, sometimes personal tastes of the seller can sour a buyer even if it's an easy fix.

So.....if you have the time and inclination, I would still lean towards using a nice neutral tone (not white) that blends with the decor in the rest of the house. Paint is an inexpensive way to spruce up your home for a sale.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 25, 2010
Yes, Mary - hopefully Steve has sold his home, and moved out already!
Agents this question was asked APRIL 2010. Presumably issue is long since solved
Hey, Hi Mary! Apparently something like an outdated question doesn't seem to stand in the way of posting those answers!!
I would like to think they didn't notice the date
:)
Flag Wed Jan 16, 2013
yes I would put a fresh coat of paint on those rooms. Painting is not hugely expensive to do but it makes a big difference in the overall look of your home. Something neutral--those 'pottery barn" colors are popular.
Keep in mind that it is often difficult for people to visualize spaces appearing differently from the way they currently are. Painting over them will give perspective buyers a clean pallette, and freshly painted walls are always more desirable. You may even want to consider some simple staging techniques.
You can offer to have the room painted to buyers taste after sale.. Put it in the contract.
Wow look at all these answers you got. There all good. Did do anything to the rooms. has it been listed? what are the buyers feedback to how it is?
If you still need help contact me.

James Berman †http://www.The NJrealtorGuy.com 973-610-5674
Hi Steve.

I've noticed that you have many contradicting answers and I'm sure you're probably as confused now as you were when you asked the question. It's not that any one answer is right or wrong it's simply that there are mixed feelings about this question in both the real estate and staging industries.

I'm a Realtor in Morris County and I also own one of the oldest and more established home staging businesses in your area. I always tell my clients, staging and real estate alike, that every home presents its own set of rules as every home presents its own set of challenges. No two homes are marketed the same and there are few cookie cutter answers.

With that this is a difficult question to answer without seeing the bedrooms. I can't agree more with Debbie Rose. If your home is a classic three or four bedroom in Morristown, there is a good chance you will be marketing your home to a family with children. In which case, if the rooms are nicely decorated, there is no need to change them. However, if the paint colors are too over the top, it can detract from size and scale. Neutral decor makes sense for some spaces but not all. You should be sure they are clear of clutter, that the furniture is minimal and arranged to highlight the best features of the room and that they are to scale. Encourage your children to pack some toys early and for safety precautions it's always best to remove your child's name from any wall hangings, frames, or art around the room.

When selling select your investment in changes carefully. Changes that may come up in a home inspection and those that will ultimately cost you cash if buyers begin deducting for repairs or enhancements from the price of their offer should generally be your first priority.

Best Wishes,
Darlene White
Turpin Realtors
http://www.turpinrealtors.com
973-543-7400 ext. 25

Simplicity Home Staging & Artistic Interiors
http://www.simplicityhomestaging.com
862-772-7100
Yes, neutralize the rooms. Remove wallpaper and paint light neutral colors that gowith any age and design style. Think about the percent of potential buyers that will have children that fit the age, gender and who would want the exact theme you have in the rooms. It's very small. All the other buyers will see it as cute but more money to spend and work they have to do. The price reduction that they will allocate for this work and expense will more likely be twice (or more) than what it will cost you to do it and the house will sell more quickly when it is move in ready (i.e. neutral). I'd love to talk more.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 22, 2010
Steve,

I'd first ask . . . r u buying or selling?

I almost always tell my sellers to reduce the amount of improvements as the buyers taste by be equal to or less than their and that their perceived investment in improvement could potentailly be a wash to a potentail buyer creating little no no added value to the purchae (and the annual cost v. value report supports my ascertains). .

At a minimum, unless the over whelminging feeedback is "yuccck" regarding the wallpaper. How do you know, well hire an agent that is committted to your listing and committed to acuring agent/propsedt feedback on an individual basis.

Francesca Patrizio, ePro, SRES
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
732.606.2931 (DIRECT/CELL)
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
Web Reference: http://www.PatrizioRE.com
Generally speaking, neutralizing walls makes good sense. I'd recommend you do.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
HI Dteve
If the rooms have a professional look to them, and they aren't worn around the edges, it mght be ok to keep them. You might also offer a credit to the buyer for painting...........or even offer to have the painting done prior to closing. Maybe a buyer will want 1 room as is, but not the other.......or maybe they dont want either.

I have shown homes (in your very area) in which the children's rooms were professionally decorated and looked simply beautiful................clients with small children may love it...............I sugest you ask your agent, assuming you have one, what his or her opinion is.

Personally, I don't think a child's room decoration is that much of a turn off as, say a living room or family room with strong colors or wallpaper would be................I think buyers have a little more imagination when it comes to viewing secondary bedrooms. That's why the offer to paint might be just as good as painting it ahead of time, and this way they can select their paint color.

Just my opinion to add to the rest!! :)

Without having seen the rooms, it is really difficult to give an opinion.

Best wishes
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties

ps what about the rest of the house? How will that show??
Yes. Definitely paint over the theme. However, if the theme is wallpaper, remove the wallpaper. Don't paint over wallpaper.

You're getting a lot of conflicting advice on this question. And that's understandable.

Still, the issue Vicky and the other "repainters" raise is valid. You want buyers to be able to imagine themselves living there. What if the buyers don't have children? What if they want to use one of the bedrooms as a home office? What if they have a daughter who doesn't like Alice in Wonderland? What if they have two daughters (or two sons)? What if they have an infant and want a nursery? You'd really be narrowing the buyer pool--or at least introducing an element to eliminate many potential buyers.

It'd be much better to neutralize those rooms.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Steve,

If you become a seller one day you are narrowing your poll of buyers. These themes are to personal and some buyers just want to moving in and not worry about painting. Neutral colors opens up to more buyers. I understand these themes b/c when my kids were little their bedrooms were painted with Winnie the Pooh characters and I was lucky enough to get interested buyers that had little kids and loved the normal sized characters. I did take pictures to show them once they were all grown up. If you become a seller one day get feedback from your listing agent on the buyers comments at open houses and go from there.

Best of luck.
If you're selling your home, definitely paint over the motifs. Buyers need to be able to envision themselves living in the property, and the best way to help them do that is to depersonalize it. You'll appeal to far more buyers with a contemporary, neutral decor. Go to your local paint store and ask what the most popular colors are. Here in the Twin Cities, warm earth tones like sage, camel, and taupe are well liked. Paint the trim ivory or white for a nice contrast. Paint is one of the least expensive ways to bring a fresh look to a home.
Assuming you are a seller and the painting is fresh and tasteful, do not repaint.
Web Reference: http://eileenmeehan.com
Hi Steve
I definitely would paint the walls. It will make your home appeal to more buyers instead of a select group that happen to like those themes.