Home Selling in Brooklyn>Question Details

Will, Home Seller in 11237

Trying to sell my 3 Family Brownstone in Bushwick/ Ridgewood. Need Advice. Thanx.

Asked by Will, 11237 Mon Nov 26, 2007

I would like to know what would be the best way for me to sell my home on my own. My son set up a web page for me. I guess that's a start. I would like any tips on how I may best advertise my home. I am looking to sell as soon as possible. But don't want to give it away. Here's my home.

http://www.geocities.com/Greene1548/index1.html

I'd appreciate any constructive comments. Thanks

Answers

5
Keep in mind that FSBO's generally sell for 11% less than market value. That being said...here's what you do....

Buy keywords on Google for your home's website;
Every piece of marketing material should include the website;
Put it on your local MLS....this will cost you a few hundred dollars;
Find a local printer and design a brochure to put in a box on the sign in front of your home;
Make sure your home appears on all of the major websites....only a Realtor can put your home on Trulia by the way...one of the top 5 websites;
Include a phone numbers for buyers to call....and they will....24 hours a day;
Be sure to schedule open houses;
Find out when your local marketing meeting is and let Realtors know your home is for sale (90% of buyers find their home thru a Realtor);
Schedule a pest inspection and be prepared to take care of section 1 work;
Schedule a home inspection;
Fill out all disclosures(what's a disclosure...maybe a local Realtor will help you with these FREE):
Upload inspections and disclosures on the MLS;
Be prepared to pay a buyers agent if they bring a buyer...a likely scenario;
If you are not represented and you ask me to handle paperwork for both sides, I will ask for commission on both sides of the transaction....
and the list goes on.

Web Reference: http://www.cindihagley.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 26, 2007
Cindi Hagley, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA
Being a for sale by owner in todays market is a challenge. Most prospective buyers are not out there driving around especially with the price of gasoline. You will need to get your home on as many websites as possible and also get brochures made (handouts) try your luck at open houses and then place ads in the surrounding areas to draw activity. As a professional I would suggest you get your home listed. Keep in mind that you pay nothing until your home sells. The one taking all the chance is the agent listing your home. No agent wants to list a home and not sell it. The price and condition is crucial in this market. If I can be of any help, please call me or visit my website. 440 341-9100
Web Reference: http://jeanninesells.com
well in this market buyers are very skeptical and are not paying anywhere near full appraised value you wont be able to sell your property at this time for a high price just look at all the deals out there... tooo many to handle i am a consultant and i know of a buyer that buys houses guaranteed at @ 25%of market value he closes in about two weeks for more info email me @ericpaul_success@yahoo.com or call 3472639923
Keep in mind that every market is a local market and each one differs from all the others. One of the most crucial aspects of selling your house is obviously marketing and pricing. The more exposure your home gets the better your odds of selling. My suggestion is to contact a local high profile agent and ask them if they could do a CMA (Comparative Marketing Analysis) to identify the best pricing for your home. Most agents will perform this task for free because they will hope you will call them if you decide to list your home with a Realtor.
Keep one thing in mind. Buyers that are looking at FSBO's typically will automatically reduce your asking price by 6-7% since they will assume that is what your saving on not paying a Realtor.
If your pressed for time to sell, than you might want to contact local Real Estate firms and let them know that you would at least be willing to cover the buyer's agent side of the commission. This alone could generate a buyer very VERY quickly and still save you the listing side of the commission.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 8, 2007
Will,

Congratulations on attempting to sell your brownstone yourself. There are a large number of questions regarding FSBO's (For Sale By Owner) on Trulia's Talk threads. I suggest reading them if you're looking for pointers. My second suggestion: Get a good real estate attorney so you can be informed about all the disclosures you're responsible for and other legal consequences involved in selling your brownstone.

If it turns out that you decide to hire a Realtor in selling your brownstone, please think of me. I would like to interview for the position. If you need a referral for a great real estate attorney, shoot me an email. I would be happy to provide that also.