faitherdemir, Both Buyer and Seller in Haverhill, MA

Trying to decide if I should paint my pine moulding white vs. keeping it clear pine.

Asked by faitherdemir, Haverhill, MA Thu Mar 7, 2013

I have a home originally built in 1955, but in 2003 we completely gutted and renovated it, added a second floor, so on and so forth. We have never been able to decide if we should keep the moulding clear pine or paint it white. It is an open concept home with maple cabinets in the kitchen and earthy tone through out. I will also add that when we built our second floor, all the moulding on the addition was painted white. So what should I do with the first floor?

Answers

10
ebbsnebbs’ answer
If you want to keep the original character of the house, I would say don't paint it. Since you've already updated a lot of the home already however, you could go ahead and paint the first floor woodwork white as well to tie it all together.
If it's a historical home, leaving woodwork its natural color is sometimes a plus, however if its a newer home, a crisp, white trim makes a house look clean and updated.
You can always paint over it. When it is white you will have to strip it to get it back. If you are not sure keep it wood. You already have white so you can guess how it will look.
White trim with neutral wall colors. I am sure that will look beautiful and clean especially with an open concept! If you keep the pine color moulding paint the walls decorators white w/ pops of color in rugs/pillows/artwork.

Hope that helps!

Territory.com
Massachusetts Premier Buyer Brokerage.
617 848 5407 x701
Web Reference: http://territory.com/
"White trim with neutral wall colors" -- ugh. 90% of properties listed now seem to have this; it could not possibly be more boring. For a house built in the '50s it hardly matters, but seeing so many 75+ year-old homes with beautiful natural woodwork all being painted this way makes me want to scream. An afternoon to ruin, years to restore.
Flag Fri Oct 25, 2013
White is definitely the 'in' way to go but Michaels response below highlights my concerns as well. Make sure you strip the wood or buy new molding if necessary. A bad job is worse than leaving it pine colored.
White is really in right now. It makes the wall colors stand out
I would suggest painting it white (You'll need to prime it with a stain killer so that you get a good adhesion) White trim has broader market appeal unless your home is more of a rustic cabin which I'm guessing it's not.
I like status quo,it took me 20 years to paint my knotty pine dining room (it does look great) and it does appeal to the masses if it is painted white. The decision is yours, no right or wrong answer.
Good question. That comes up a lot. The issue I have with painting it white is that if the clear pine has a coat of poly on it, it is difficult to paint over. So, you either need to strip all the trim first, replace it or else the white paint may look worse than the original clear pine looks now. Bottomline, it may seem like an easy fix, but may be more expensive and time consuming than you first thought. Granted, I haven't seen it, but just something to think about. I assume you are prepping to list your home. There may be a better use of time/money to attract buyers to your home. It's hard to say without actually seeing it.
Best of luck.
Local buyers seem to love crisp white trim. If possible I would paint it the same tone so that the rooms flow together.