Angela, Both Buyer and Seller in 49085

Tips on selling home

Asked by Angela, 49085 Sun May 1, 2011

My fiancé and I need to sell his home before we can purchase. His home is a 1 1/2 story, cap cod, open floor plan with loft master bdrm. What are some suggestions to sell a house? What are buyers looking for? What should we focus on? Much appreciated

Answers

11
In today's market it is a "price war and a beauty contest"! I can not stress enough how important it is to de clutter your home and then clean, clean, clean. If you are going to do some painting pick neutral colors, ask at the paint department what colors appear to be popular now or do a 'google' search for popular colors. Price it right and you should be able to move on successfully! Good Luck!

Elizabeth Spencer
REMAX of Greensboro
Greensboro, NC
email: Elizabeth@ElizabethSpencer.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 1, 2011
Angela,

Without a doubt, today's buyers are seeking value and opportunity. If selling consider the following:

1. Price- the very first thing all buyers consider and they are all seeking the "deal of a life time." So price your home accordingly.

2. Visibility-simply stated, the more people that are aware of the opportunity your home represents, the easier it will be to sell it. Seek a marketing plan that has a huge internet presence.....

3. Appeal-make your home "shine" inside and out, making certain that its draw goes far beyond its "curb appeal." Clean, minimize, de-clutter, paint, plant, repair, update.........a small investment can save you thousands....

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 1, 2011
Hi Angela,

You have asked some really great questions!

Without seeing the home I can say that you should start with the curb appeal of the home. Is the front door extremely outdated? Could it use a fresh coat of paint? How about some fresh blooms in the front yard and pressure washing the sidewalk and driveway. The outside of the home is the first contact you have with potential buyers, so it should be sparkling. It's the deciding factor for the buyer as to whether or not they would like to go in.

How about the kitchen? Are the counter tops in good shape? The appliances? Could the cabinets use a fresh coat of paint and some new hardware to spruce them up?

I would be happy to answer any other questions that you may have or give a free market evaluation on your property with some tips on what to do to get your home market ready!

Jenny Fardello 269-861-6030
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 1, 2011
In today's market, the buyers, are not interested in the price as much as in the EXPERIENCE OF BUYING. This is the reason why you should sell depending on the way the customer wants to be treated!!! In order to find out that you should use all channels of communications in order to collect all the information needed to better understand your clients wants and needs.

Galina Barbascumpa
G-Line Realty, Inc.,
http://www.glinerealty.com
212-505-0200
Hi, I love Food Network...but in regards to your question keep in mind you get one chance to make a first impression. The less you give prospective buyers to gripe about the better. So try to make sure everything is clean, no clutter, bright and airy, take good photos, make sure curb appeal is top priority. These are things that are going to make buyers want to see the interior of the home.

Chris
Clean. The kitchen and baths should be so clean that if a kid drops his gum and puts it back in your mouth, you don't squirm.

I'm a HGTV lover too, but is not a classroom, it's entertainment. To Angela, and all my fellow HGTV lovers: you can learn as much about interior design from HGTV as you can learn about acting from HBO. So don't play home interior designer; if you need to replace flooring, good shops provide free design consultancy. Or you can hire one, there are so many that work for so little.

You don't have to rehab the entire house, but recognize that if you make a list of the ten most important projects to tackle, when you're done, #11 will now be at the top of the list!

So, clean. Clean clean clean clean clean. If it is broken, fix it or replace it. If it needs paint, paint it.

Home selling, I'm afraid, is more of an exercise in catching up with deferred maintenance than it is an opportunity for practicing interior design.

Angela

You might find this information helpful:
7 Tips To Get The Most Money For Your Home
http://www.realtown.com/articles/view/selling-tips-to-get-th…
My fiance bought his home in 2009 as a short sale. He lived there for approximately 1 yr and now a rental for nearly 1 yr. The home is 2 bdrm 1 full bath. With all honesty we do have to spruce it up inside, we are considering making changes in bath & kitchen. Do some painting thru out the home, more
neutral colors. The outside has very low maintence. Personally Im a HGTV junky! We have been getting ideas on how to compete in today's market. I also been doing some studying on today's market, pricing, home appeal etc. One thing we know is to make sure we price right. So far EVERYONES has offered such GREAT suggestions! I look forward hearing some more suggestions & taking everything into consideration.
Angela,
You have gotten a lot of good advice here so far. The only other thing to consider is that many folks are looking at these properties as second or vacation homes. Last two I sold in the area were to out of town folks as a second home.
Find an agent or two you are comfortable with that has a solid track record in the area, and have them walk through and discuss what improvements or "staging" needs to be done. You could be spending lost dollars on things that are not that important.
Best wishes,
Paul Dumke ABR, E-Pro, Realtor of the Year 2011
REALTOR/Consultant
Core Real Estate
Southwest Michigan
269-921-1125
Paul@PaulDumke.com
Hi Angela,
Sounds like he has a wonderful home. St. Joe has many lovely cape cods that were built after WWII to accomodate all of the soldiers coming back from the war . His home will probably be purchased by first time home buyers. I just sold a home in St. Joe to First Timers. They wanted at least 3 BR, wanted 2 baths, (the home they bought only had 1) they wanted it to be move-in ready. They did not want to have to paint, re-carpet, etc. The home they decided on had a beautifully remodeled kitchen complete with granite, cherry cabinets, ceramic tile backsplash, stainless appliances and hardwood floors. They offered full price of $119k. It also had a 2 car garage, finished basement, and fenced in yard. It was a great buy! Also, it was immaculate. How does your fiance's home compare to these amenities? How long has he owned the home? What improvements have been done, as buyers really appreciate knowing this. I've been a real estate professional for over 15 years and would be happy to help you.
Tina Thornton
Realty Executives Pro Brokers
815 Main St.
St. Joe, MI 49085
269-591-1707
CallTina@RealtyExecutives.com
Angela:

Good Afternoon!! The most important consideration is the price you ask for a home. You'll need to price is according to recent sales of like homes in your area. You'll also want to make sure the home is clean and free of clutter. Most buyers are looking for updated kitchens and baths. Your best bet is to find a local Realtor who can assist you with comparables in your area and advise you on any repairs or updates that should be done.

I wish you the best of luck,

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
586-709-8465
kpaytas@mirealsource.com