Jill Sahlstr…, Other/Just Looking in 98291

The public record for our home at 1166 N90th,98103 is wrong.How do we change that?

Asked by Jill Sahlstrom, 98291 Tue Jun 15, 2010

Answers

5
You would contact the assessors office.
Simply contact the county aand file the proper paperwork indicating the source providing the correct information.
Call the King County Assessor's office at 206-296-7300.

Web Reference: http://NiceSeattleHomes.com
Contact the office that maintains the public records.

However, beyond that, what's wrong? You may decide, for instance, that you don't want to correct it. For instance, suppose it says your lot is 1/4 acre, but it's actually 3/4 acre. Changing it will increase your tax assessment, with no other benefit to you. Same with number of bedrooms or baths. In fact, you might be opening up a can of worms. For instance, suppose you bought your home with 3 beds/1 bath. Then you added a second bath. But the contractor didn't get the necessary permits, so the city/county is unaware of the second bath. You might find that you'll have inspectors coming over to make sure that everything's up to code, and that you pay fines or penalties because your contractor didn't do all the necessary paperwork.

And sometimes it may just not matter. When I moved into my home, there was no natural gas service, so it was all electric. A few years later, the gas lines were extended to where I lived, and we switched over to gas heat. The public record still shows we have electrical (heat pump) heating. It's incorrect, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle to change that.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
The public record may need to be updated from the source--the local public records department--if you have an agent, he/she may be able to help you.