Jml, Other/Just Looking in Virginia Beach, VA

Thank you so much for your feedback. This is a follow up to my initial question about having my home staged.

Asked by Jml, Virginia Beach, VA Sat Dec 29, 2012

I just learned that some home staging it's done by real estate agents themselves or decorators vs. certified home staging consultants. Does it make a difference who I should hire to do the best job? Thank you very much.

Answers

6
Choosing to hire a professional decorator over your Realtor obviously comes down to cost. I offer my staging services to my sellers for free. I know from the results in getting homes sold that I can improve some client's rooms without a penny spent by them. If you choose to use and pay for a professional decorator/stager, then ask to see some before and after photos from other jobs they have done, do they use your furniture etc. or bring in their own and expect you to pay for storing your furniture. When I have interviewed stagers, their costs can add up. Also, I feel it depends on the price point of your home and also there are all levels and price points for decorators depending on how long they have been in the business. Plan out very carefully how much you would be willing to spend before hiring a professional.
I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner. My opinion is that I should do what I do best and hire a staging professional for the best results. Also, I sort of have a problem with charging my client a fee for staging advice or placing furniture / wharehousing items . I encourage you to call me directly to get ant answers to further questions. The local number is 757 754 8498
See their previous work. I don't think it truly matters the certification.

Look at it this way. Is a Real Estate Agent as good as, or better than a Realtor (TM). Or are they essentially the same thing. A title or certification doesn't always mean someone is more qualified or a better decorator.

The proof is in the product they have already done. Ask for pricing and see what a x,xxx job looks like.

Drew Hitt
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 29, 2012
The other responses are very accurate; however, there are other reasons for having a home staged. Staging helps potential buyers to see the potential of the room. Staging demonstrate ideas for a room if it has challenges. The staging promotes the rooms versus allowing the buyer to concentrate on the challenges. I was hired for a listing and convinced the seller to have the home professionally staged. This home had been on the market for nearly a year when it was vacant. The home sold very quickly after it was staged and the seller actually received more money than when it was not staged.

Stagers can use many of your own items and furniture which will ultimately save money when staging.

Good Luck.
Anna Marie Staylor 757-754-2442
Rose and Womble Realty
Watch for me to featured on House Hunters HGTV 2013!
Certified with an ASP designation should be preferred. Decorators makes the home appealing to your personal taste. A staging expert is trained to makes the home appealing to buyers and drive up perceived value. Many real estate agents feel they can stage a home because they have good taste. Unless they have a staging designation and a book of successful projects and results, its not the same. Don't waste the time. Certified is the only way to go.
Thank you very much. Makes sense!
Flag Sat Dec 29, 2012
Some agents are qualified and certified. I use a professional stager regardless if he/she is an agent. Many work with your budget. I would love to speak with you directly so we can discuss your options (as there are many).
Warmly, Claudine 757-809-2525