Home Selling in Ramsey>Question Details

Rose, Other/Just Looking in Ramsey, NJ

Thank you for all who responded to my query if I should consider changing agents.

Asked by Rose, Ramsey, NJ Sat Sep 10, 2011

My broker has been giving me CMA's and we are right where we should be. Initially I suspect we were overpriced for the current market, but since our price adjustment we are right on target.

Can you suggest all of the websites that my home should be listed on for Ramsey, NJ? We are on the brokers site, the MLS for NJ, realtor.com and Trulia. Any other suggestions? I have not been particularly pleased with the photos on Realtor.com and the broker's site. There are several sets of photos that were taken.On Trulia there is a much better set of pictures. Do agencies employ professional photographers for photos? Also is there a way of knowing which agent in my community has sold the most homes? And finally, if price is not the issue what is the one factor or factors that sell a home in your professional opinions. I really appreciate all your great feedback.

Answers

5
Hi, Rose. Price and presentation -- how your house looks and how well its best features are highlighted to appeal to buyers -- are crucial factors, along with marketing. Make sure your house appeals to today's buyers by staging it, or hire a professional home stager to either consult with on do-it-yourself staging, or to do the staging for you. Primary points to consider are: 1) cleanliness; 2) de-cluttering; 3) de-personalizing; 4) toning down outdated or unusual/bright colors; 5) highlighting features such as fireplaces, bay windows, views, porches, built-ins, etc.; 6) repairing and updating anything that buyers will see as costing them $$ -- 87% of buyers today want move-in ready homes; 7) removing and re-arranging furniture to open up the space; and 8) bringing in new bedding, towels, accessories where needed. You are right that photos are critical to whether buyers decide to pass by or look at your house in person. I am a home stager in River Vale, NJ and for higher-end homes, I bring in a professional photographer to take wide-angle photos that I provide to you as part of my staging services. I would also suggest that your agent list your house on homes.com, a popular site where buyers search for homes.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 11, 2011
Hi Rose,
Photos can easily be traded out of all of those websites - so if you are unhappy with them, insist that they be changed. And yes, if a professional is needed to achieve high quality photos then the broker/agent should hire one. Make no mistake - photos help to sell homes. Both quality and quantity matter - consumers gravitate to properties with more - and better photos.

Today's buyers are shopping online - the sites you mention are a good start but that list should be expanded.

Recommend you speak to your agent about photo quality and count as well as additional sites to increase reach.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Servicee
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 10, 2011
Hi Rose,

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Servicee
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Hi Rose.

For an average priced home realtors typically take the pictures themselves. For higher priced homes, most realtors will hire a company to do a virtual tour. It's hard to answer your questions without knowledge of the home. You ay your right on target now with the price but depending on the length of time to get to the "right" price could be critical. If too much time went by, that is a big problem and it may have missed the boat with the "right" price. I just checked Ramsey. As of today, there are 76 houses for sale, 4 with an offer, and 15 under contract. Without knowing about location, condition, and so many other factors, my best advice to you would be this: (I do this for my sellers because I find it useful in marketing) Let's say you have a ranch house, ask your realtor to give you a copy of all the ranch houses in Ramsey for sale. I think it's important to know your "competition" and then you have to figure out what you have to do to make buyers want to buy YOUR ranch instead of the other ranches. Typically buyers "like" certain styles of houses, be it a ranch, cape cod, colonial, split, etc. If you feel the need to change realtors, interview 2 or 3 realtors and find out specifically what services they are going to provide....now you have a better idea of what questions to ask! Oh, and make sure you get it in writing!! lol Good luck
Sothebys uses only professional photos and wonderful large photo cards as buyer giveaways at the sellers home. The agent that sold the most homes in your town does not necessarily mean that another agent can not do a crack up job.

Why not give the agent you are working with a chance and see if they can produce results. I'm sure they know of all the real estate sites you can be listed on including their own company site. If not, then move on.

Carolynn Monaco
Prominent Property Sothebys International Realty