Home Selling in Wheaton>Question Details

Debbie Devel…, Home Buyer in Wheaton, IL

Suggestions on a patio. We want to move in 1-2 years, so we want to make sure this improvement has all things future buyers will want.

Asked by Debbie Develin Yaun, Wheaton, IL Fri Jun 21, 2013

We plan to remove our old/rotting screened in deck with a patio. I'm in Wheaton, and have about 1/4 of an acre. We are thinking the cement patio will make the yard feel bigger. Any suggestions, or things to avoid? How does stamped cement come across with buyers today? I'm looking for recommendations on design, materials, features, and any recommendations on companies to work with on design and installation.

Answers

9
I think that improving your patio would definitely help with future buyers! It's always nice to have a good place to go for dinners and parties in the summer when you want to be outside. I think that your idea of getting a concrete patio would be a really great idea. I have some friends with concrete patios, and they seem easy to maintain and keep looking nice. I think that if you got stamped cement that would also help it to look really nice, but it also depends on what you think fits with your house! http://www.sudlowconcrete.com/patio-builders-in-atlanta.html
I had just recently sold a home that had a stamped concrete patio. It was a big selling point for my buyers when the stepped foot out of the family room into the yard. It was a dark rose color and was just beautiful. It was not very big but just really set off the yard and made it very pleasing to look at. I have a contracted that I have used that does stamped concrete patio's. He is local in Wheaton. Novell Landscaping. 630-903-9735
Debbie, I recently had 850 Sq ft of stamped, colored, rounded, 2 separate spaces, done at my house in Wheaton. I used LCH Services, the owners name is Larry and he is old school craftsman. He is one guy with his crew, not a large contractor with multiple crews and time frames. This guy takes his time and is at the project every day to manage. Anyway, it cost about a quarter of what the Brussels block quotes we got and we love it more. Look at Butterfieldcolor.com to give you some ideas of what the different concrete ideas can look like. All our family and friends love it too, so I assume buyers will.
Outdoor living space is something that most buyers really appreciate. It may not be one of the features they identify but once they see it they will appreciate its presence. To many, it's difficult to visualize a future project and therefore it may be best to see as many samples as possible in an attempt to identify features that you want to build into your future patio.

People attend "open houses" for many reasons....one of them is to obtain ideas. To that end, we recommend attending open houses to actually see as many finished products as possible. You should focus on keeping this area as close to the home as possible. Having to walk a distance can seriously effect the amount of use you get from this space.

Part of the fun of doing a project like this is enjoying the hunt......the perfect patio is one that does not exist but will at some point in the future.

I just closed on a home in Warrenville that had a beautiful stamped concrete patio. It was a lovely addition to a yard that backed up to a wooded area. It was one of the selling features that my buyers really took notice to. I have a contractor that I have worked with for years that does both concrete & stamped. Many of my buyers & sellers have used him.

Novell Landscaping 630-903-9735
Debbie feel free to contact me if you don't have any names of contractors. I will gladly pass some along to you!
Stamped concrete has much more market appeal than a simple slab. It will be much more cost effective than paving stones and will not heave and become uneven. Adding color to the concrete is another way to add appeal without a lot of cost.

Finishing the patio with some nice plants, bushes or other features (like a fire pit for example) will help add warmth and comfort to the patio. Just make sure you do not spend too much because it will make it hard to get a return on your investment in the end.
You made quite a few good points Simon. I want to add a concrete patio to my yard but I'm afraid of investing too much in decor such as plants and furniture because I won't get it back. Do you have any advice about what to avoid? http://www.sellersconcrete.com/services.html
Flag Thu Nov 6, 2014
I am looking at the same project right now and starting to look at companies. Although I do not have any company recommendations right now I really feel that cement is the way to go. We have lived with a wood deck and quite large it is 3 tiered and leads to our above ground pool. It has rotten boards and every year we power wash it and treat it with a water protector. That is a ton of maintanence I am looking forward to getting rid of. I do think if you were to spend the difference on a stamped patio depending on your price point of home it would make an significant esthetical difference. Choose a design specific to your landscaping. Nothing square, anyone can do that. Choose your company wisely, friends recommendations of someone they used and were happy with is the way I would go. I am not afraid of getting more than 3 estimates either, till I am happy with whoever I will be working with. I do have a friend I was going to ask tonight. I can get back to you with a few names I have one already. I think any buyer would appreciate the look of a nice clean cement patio also it does not cut off the yard like a deck does with the rails.
Good Luck with your project.
Josie DeRiggi
Coldwell Banker Wheaton
630-207-0506
My home has a lot of similar size and I think a patio would definitely make the yard feel bigger as opposed to a screened-in deck since it will be more open. I suggest using paver bricks, as there are lots of advantages to this material. First of all, they look great and add some color and interest to the yard. Second, if there is any settling, it is easy to just remove the bricks, even out the base and it looks great again. I have found the cost to be about the same as concrete, so it's a bit expensive though. Another downside is that there is some maintenance - need to keep adding a special sand in the joints about once/year so you don't get vegetation growing between the cracks. I'm not fond of stamped concrete - they may have recently improved the process, but my neighbor's stamped concrete sidewalk is chipping off and looks terrible. I have lots of experience with home renovations and also with buyers - be happy to come see your home and give you advice on what things you should do to make buyers love your home without spending a lot of money. Best of luck on your project!