Doreen, Home Seller in 11354

Staten Island listing expired and 5 months later a brokers referral came back to buy. are we still owing a commission?

Asked by Doreen, 11354 Sat Jun 18, 2011

Contract with realtor expired end of January, 2011

Answers

6
Lawrence Avroch’s answer
Usually in a multiple listing agreement there's a section that says if a buyer who saw the property with a broker comes back within a specified period of time the seller still owes that broker a commission. You would have to look at your listing contract and see what time period was agreed upon. Usually it's about 60-90 days so you are probably in the clear. It may also depend on if the buyer had made an offer with that broker and if it had been accepted (meeting of the minds). If the broker could show that this was done (waiting) to avoid paying the commission his case would be stronger. If you have any further questions, I can be reached at bestsella@aol.com. I have owned my real estate office for 27 years serving the Queens area.
Hello Doreen,
Look at your listing agreement with your former real estate agency that marketed your home as it will state on there any additional time after the agreement expires that you would still be responsible for paying their commission fee.
Good luck selling!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 18, 2011
Hi Doreen, the longest I have seen is 180 days after the expiration of a listing- my understanding is if you were in negotiations already before the contract expired.- that would be on the second page of your listing agreement under Compensation paragraph #7. Also- does not apply at all if you have relisted with another agency. For your specifics call me Terry K 718-614-3167 cell or email me TKorahais@elliman.com
Review your listing agreement as the answer can be found in the document...
If you know the broker brought this person to your door, doesn't it seem the right thing to do?
Web Reference: http://gailgladstone.com
Beware, if the buyer signed a form with the Realtor that they would be obligated to pay a commission on any property shown by that Realtor, they would be liable, and that could result in a problem in the deal. For you directly the listing term plus applicable period post listing should be spelled out on the listing agreement.