Lynda Johnson, Home Buyer in Cotuit, MA

So, when I sell my house, can we take the curtains? How about the curtain rods? Ok, now, how about the area rug?

Asked by Lynda Johnson, Cotuit, MA Wed Jul 11, 2012

The area rug was a remnant that we cut to size to fit up to the walls, yet it's not adhered down, It's just lying like an area rug.

Answers

7
Make an "excluded from sale" item list before putting your property on the market that way it is disclosed to any potential buyer up front ( the rug doesn't need to be on that list)

http://territory.com/
I was going to suggest the same thing. Everything is negotiable when you're selling a house, but you have to disclose that to your buyer. As long as it's listed, you can take it with you when you move, including blinds and rugs. http://www.gotchacoveredwf.com
Flag Tue Apr 14, 2015
You may take the curtains, but you may not take the rods without disclosing it in the contract/listing agreement. The curtains are not attached to the house (not a fixture), but the rods are. You may take the area rug, and any other rug for that matter. It would be kind to disclose this from get-go in your listing as an exclusion since some buyers may think it is adhered down since it is the same size as the room.
Exactly. Always make sure to disclose what you're planning on taking. Otherwise you'll end up with unhappy buyers. The curtains should be fine, but blind should be left. Just make sure you communicate with the buyers. | http://www.windowaccessoriesak.com/services
Flag Wed Jan 28, 2015
What some agents do is not disclose they are taking all of this in the listing. But when an offer comes in they reply with a counter and say that they are taking these things. It keeps people from looking at the curtains and thinking they are taking them. I would disclose right away.

Most people take the curtains. I left some when I moved that fit the window. It is a common courtesy to leave some curtain rods and hooks. No one wants an area rug and assume it is being rolled up and moved out , but they need to see the condition of the floor underneath if you are taking it and if it looks like wall to wall there will be an issue. If the floor is in bad shape and that is why youhad a rug cut, you should leave it as wall to wall and buy a new rug for your new home.
If the house is not sold yet, you can keep anything you want. If it is a fixture it must be clearly spelled out.

A fixture is anything that would leave a hole that need to be repaired, curtains and rods can go but technically the holders for the rods would stay. Talk to your agent they will make sure you get to keep what you want to keep. Again if you are keeping something that would normally stay, exclude it in a disclosure.
Hi Lynda.

If you have not yet sold your house ...
you can specify which things are not included in the sale. In the case of the rug, you should let potential buyers know that the rug is not attached and that it is not included in the sale.

If your house is under contract, you will need to abide by the sale contract....
- In Massachusetts, the standard purchase and sale agreement specifies that you have to leave all fixtures, that is, all things which are attached. This includes curtain rods and blinds, but does not include the curtains which are hung on the rods. Unless otherwise agreed upon with the buyer, you can take your curtains.

- The purchase agreement also says that wall-to-wall carpets are included in the sale. This is a little tricky because your rug, although by some definitions an area rug, is in fact wall-to-wall. If you have a dispute with your current buyer, you will need to negotiate to resolve the problem ... assuming you want to sell the house and the buyer wants to buy it.

If you have any other questions or need any assistance, please feel free to contact me. I am located right down the road in Marstons Mills.

Diane Wurzburg, Keller William Realty
585-259-0455
Hi Diane Do I have to provide the curtain rods for my rental property ? Thanks
Flag Wed Jun 5, 2013
Please realize that you might be jeopardizing the deal by being nit-picking>

The way that the rules probably read is that anything that is "not attached" is considered Personal Property.
Wall to wall carpeting is attached; a rug is not.
The Stove is attached; the refrigerator is not.
The ceiling fan/light is attached; the table lamp is not.

Curtains have often come into question as to whether they are attached or not; I have told my Sellers to list them as "not-included" if they want them. I have told my Buyers to list them as "included" in their Offer.

It all comes down to communication; not fighting over small stuff at the Closing.
In the State of Washington window treatments are included in the sale but in the event the seller wants to take them they can negotiate that in the Purchase and Sale Agreement. Area rugs are not considered a fixture and since you said it's not attached it shouldn't convey.