Home Selling in San Jose>Question Details

Home Owner, Home Owner in San Jose, CA

Single story vs 2 story homes? What do people prefer?

Asked by Home Owner, San Jose, CA Thu Nov 3, 2011

I personally like the stairs because I think they are one of the major highlights of the home. But what do most other buyers prefer? Obviously if you are older, a single story home would be better due to ease of movement within the home...but I am wondering what the trend is in general.

Answers

14
Shirley Cheng’s answer
Home 88,

I agree with you that stairs will highlight a home, even making the home seem to have more square footage than it really has. Especially with the new condos sprouting up everywhere, you get a nice workout just going from your car to the bedroom. I can't even imagine forgetting anything from one floor to another. However most of the time, I believe that buyers now are looking for homes that will be more easily accessible for their parents to live in them too. As with the high cost of living in the Bay Area, many homes have become multi-generational.
Web Reference: http://www.dolcehomes.com
Home88

People generally prefer 1 level. Builders prefer multi level so they can build more homes on a small piece of land.

Perry
Dear home88,
This depends upon the Demographics of the neighborhood you are considering. What are the age ranges of the residents? Is it primarily young working people, or retired adults? All these things come into play when considering such issues.
The general trend is more then one story, because you can get more square footage that way using less land.
In my neck of the woods majority of buyers are seeking out single story homes with open floor plans. For years, builders focused on building 2-story homes because they are much cheaper to build than single family homes with similar square footage. It is becoming increasingly hard to locate newer one-level homes. One and one-half story homes would be second most popular layout with a majority of living space downstairs. Countless buyers have requested main bedrooms be located on first floor. Thanks!
Home88
The Trend is 2 story as most homes in my area are two story.
However, home buyers love single story homes.
In fact I have noticed time and time again the single stories go first.

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes Realty
(951) 821-8211
harold@socalhomebuying.org
http://www.socalhomebuying.org
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 6, 2011
Home88:

You certainly have lots of questions!

I have some clients who absolutely have to have the "majestic" feel of a 2 story home with the open staircase. I have some clients who absolutely have to have a one story so they don't have to go up and down stairs. And some want 2 story because they want a particular neighborhood and all the homes are 2 story in that neighborhood. And some want one story because they think it is easier to heat / cool or they don't want to look into their neighbors backyard or windows. And others want a 2 story so they get a view!

I try to focus on what each particular person wants, rather than on "trends". Trends change just as soon as we figure them out!

Have a great day, Home88.

Sally Blaze
It is a personal choice, buy what you will enjoy living in.

As for trends the population is getting older, what that means is that more buyers are going to want a single level home due to age, those with small children, and those with aging parents will also need a main level master because of joined living situations or visitors. Right now the demographics for buyers is falling in the 25 to 35 age and they tend to be open to the stairs.

All the best to you.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
As pointed out earlier 2 story homes usually have more square footage for the lot size, so people who want a larger home, in-law bedrooms on the 1st floor prefer 2 storys, but there are many buyers who will only look at 1 storys for what ever reason, age or disability are the usually the reasons, but there are others. So I'd say it is about 50-50 every client has different needs and wants.
The thing I would look for in a given area is price per square foot, relative to recent comps its a good gage to use.
Feel free to contact me with any questions.
At your service,
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
DRE# 01397256
Right now people would prefer to be able to keep their home no matter how many stories.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
Home 88,

Speaking from personal experience, in our location the vast majority of buyers prefer a single story home. This of course is tied to the fact that so many of our buyers are of retirement age and stairs may present a future challenge for their mobility.

Based on this information,my guess is that the "general trend" for single story vs multiple story would be closely related to the general age of your population. A review of your locations demographics may shed some light on this.

The trend I've noticed is that older people and people with toddlers prefer single story homes. The elderly enjoy the ease of mobility and tend to prefer smaller homes with less maintenance. Meanwhile, the parents of young kids want to be able to watch over the kids, avoid repeated trips on the stairs, and have more yard space for the kids to roam. Those are often larger and more expensive homes.

On the other end, young couples without kids can handle multi-story living while parents of growing families want the affordability of space that a multi-story home provides. Again, they are at different ends of the price spectrum. As the cost of buildable lots continues to increase, the builders favor multi-story homes to keep their product affordable.

Either way, future demand upon resale will be driven more by the relative affordability of a home within its market than its floor-plan configuration.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com
I notice most younger people seem to like two stories, and have less interest in yards these days. The younger set are more interested in whether a home has granite, a spa tub or crown moulding. The older set, seems to like a larger lot, single story and more comforts if working from home. And actually it works out pretty well, as younger people have less money to put down, and the two stories are usually newer homes in better condition and easier to finance. Best, Terry Bell, Realtor, Santa Rosa, CA
It appears that the market is evenly divided on the issue.

A two story home permits more square footage of living area on a piece of land, and a greater amount of land devoted to yard area.

Other people prefer a single story home, and do not mind devoting a large part of the land to the footprint of the home.

Among particular individuals there are many individuals that have a strong preference for a two story home and a larger yard, and there are many other individuals have a strong preference for a single story home and are willing to sacrifice land area for the larger footprint of a single story home with the same square footage of living area.

I would say that a single story or a two story home is more a matter of individual preference. The general market does not appear to favor one or the other style, whether that is single story or two story. .
Down here in beautifull Murrieta/ Temecula lately, I seem to be getting more people interested in 1 story's. But I am sure things will change. They always do.