Your presence will interfere with the prospective buyers ability to:
- speak freely about the property
- be curious, for example making a comfortable assessment about closets
- visualize themselves living there
- etc, etc
By all means, find something to do outside the house!
Prudential California Realty
Beverly Hills, CA
This is true for a number of reasons:
1. You might not like what you hear. Prospective buyers may think your wall color and carpet choices are "hideous" or think your perfect home is a "total gut".
2. The prospective buyers might not like what they hear from you. Say the wrong thing, even for the right reasons, and you may send a potential buyer heading for the hills. Or worse, give them a nugget of information they will use to their advantage in the negotiating phase.
3. You want potential buyers to start visualizing themselves making this their new home - not moving into your old one. So you need to vacate the premises - both physically and metaphorically. Depersonalize your home as much as possible prior to the first showing. Take down the baby pictures and clear your fridge of Grocery Lists and gas receipts. Sell the dream, not the day-to-day.
Your goal is to sell your home and move on. So start moving on emotionally before you even put your home on the market.