Beth Avery F…, Other/Just Looking in Richmond, VA

Should you be concerned about buying in a flood zone FEMA X in St. Augustine?

Asked by Beth Avery Fine, Richmond, VA Wed Jan 13, 2010

How does being in a flood zone affect your resale possibilities? Zoning happened before planned community was developed. I heard that I can get it rezoned. Should I be concerned?

Zone X is typically not going to be a problem, and there should be no mandatory federal requirements to purchase flood insurance. Of course it never hurts to buy flood insurance if you are in Zone X, where it should be relatively inexpensive, and if you can see water from your house, you may wan to consider flood insurance even in Zone X.

In other zones (like A, AE, or VE) , yes, it is possible to make a request to FEMA to re-classify the lot or the house if the lowest adjacent grade is higher than the Base Flood Elevation. Without the letter from FEMA, you will typically pay the highest rates in Zone VE (which will be on the ocean in St. Johns County) and Zone A, and lower rates in Zone AE. If you are in one of those zones and have a mortgage, you will be required to buy flood insurance.

Regarding resale, if you have to buy flood insurance with a mortgage, that will be a turn-off for some buyers of course. If the first floor elevation of the house is lower than the Base Flood Elevation, then you will probably want to steer clear because the flood insurance is going to be very pricey.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 7, 2011
Hi Beth,

Being in a flood zone doesn't have to be a big deal. It does depends on circumstances. My home is in a FEMA Zone X, which is the 500 year flood zone. But my home is on the Delaware river, so I've got a great view in the backyard and wate access rights. Would I actually choose to buy in a flood zone if I did not have a water view? A good question. I might, but I'd perhaps think it over a bit more.

Anyway so let's review FEMA Zone X, since that's my zone too. Essentially each year there is a 1/500 chance of flooding. For my area this is defined as water that would reach the house and then get perhaps only 1' high into my basement. I have no idea if homes in St. Augustine have basements though. Oh - and I did NOT have to pay any insurance premium either.

I would certainly recommend that you check the FEMA flood charts yourself to validate what is being told to you. Here they are:

Technically, this means that you should NOT be required to purchase flood insurance by your lender. I chose not to buy for mine but there isn't a whole lot in the basement that would possibly be effected. All the "valuable stuff" is a good 10 feet higher still than that. I also knew that the last three 100 year floods in my area never got to the house.

If you will have a water view and/or water access as a result - then to me, zone X is a reasonable compromise. If it was a 100 year flood zone (A or S) then I personally wouldn't be interested unless my home was raised.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 19, 2010
Just FYI, that link is broken. The flood zone definitions can be found at https://www.fema.gov/floodplain-management/flood-zones
Flag Tue Dec 9, 2014
Flood zone "X" is the most common in St. Augustine. Even if your lender does not require it, I think it is always a good idea to have flood insurance just in case. Most policies in Flood zone X vary from $400-600 annually. Check with your local insurance provider.
Most of the town is in Zone X or in a zone with a greater risk of flooding. I have lived in X and AE and haven't been concerned with either.
Greetings There are allot of good advise in regards of whether to buy in a flood zone or not it should be a matter of personal preference.As long as you are aware of the consequences and the agent you choose gives you great due diligence you can accept the choice you ultimately will make.Should you feel that I can further assist you please feel free to contact me Mark Chestnut ,Middleton Realty 904-520-3926 http://www.sellmyhousefast.info
Being in a flood zone means you could have heavy rains and get all of your stuff ruined. Oh yeah, the house could get damaged also.

I would not buy a house that was in a 300 year flood zone. Most people only talk about a 100 year flood zone.

Some people would buy in a flood zone, but insurance costs and floods happening would stop a lot of people. I would rather pay an extra $20k and not have the flooding.
Many homes in the St. Augustine area are in a flood zone. There is a great blog written by our VP of Development about flood zones at http://www.worldgolfvillageblog.com along with some other resources. There is a process to get a property removed from the flood zone through a letter of Map Revision if the Developer has done the necessary work. I hope the blog will answer some of your questions.
Check out the FEMA website and contact your homeowner insurance co. for best advice. Here is the link to FEMA designations: http://msc.fema.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/info?storeId=1… There are reevaluations done, but that usually is not under your control to have it rezoned as far as I know.
Just FYI, that link no longer works. The flood zone definitions can be found at https://www.fema.gov/floodplain-management/flood-zones
Flag Tue Dec 9, 2014
Check the extra cost of insurance (zone X shouldn't be that bad). Also, what are the zones like in other areas? For instance if your area is a zone X but the other surrounding area have a higher chance of flooding then your area looks like the best. If it's your area that looks the worst for flooding then it could affect resale. Either way, here is a list of flood zone classifications. Zone X seems to be a very low level for flood possibilities.

James Crannell
Baird & Warner | Lincoln Park
Phone: 773-766-7490
Fax: 773-409-5591
Email: James.Crannell@bairdwarner.com

Without having the exact location it is impossible to advise you. Flood zones are geographic areas that FEMA has defined according to the varying levels of flood risk.

A location defined a zone X is considered to be a moderate to low risk area.

Regardless of the level of risk associated with a location, if you are uncomfortable with it, you may want to consider other options and enjoy peace of mind.

One factor you might want to consider check the insurance rates for the property fact that into your overall monthly payments.