Question Details

Talk Now, Other/Just Looking in Atlantic Coast

Should we replace old applicances and systems before we sell?

Asked by Talk Now, Atlantic Coast Wed Oct 17, 2007

The furnace, hot water heater, A/C, even the washer and dryer are in fine working condition, but old.

Answers

12
i'll dissent. - If they are in fine working order, leave em - you can 1. Lower the price by the amount that the appliances would cost. 2. You could offer a closing credit for the cost of replacing appliances. 3. You could offer an full home warrantly that covers the cost of repairing or replacing appliances that fail after the close of excrow.
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
This will depend upon the overal condition and update status of the house. For example, if your kitchen is dated and in need of a complete renovation, an investment in appliances alone may not be wise. The new appliances may not work for buyers who may be considering a total kitchen redo.

Without looking at your property, and knowing the competition for you, I am reluctant to provide a direct answer. I do suggest that you look beyond just appliances before making a decison.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
By the way, Talk Now, I love your feedback on most of the answers - we can't ask for anything better than that on the peron who posts a question!

Sylvia
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 18, 2007
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin County, CA
It depends on the condition and look of the appliances as well as the mentioned age. I would look at the water heater first though. Generally speaking most inspectors will recommend it be replaced if it is nearing 10 years of age (or older). Next would be the appliances in the kitchen, stove/oven and then the dishwasher. The reason for these being replaced next is this is the room where the appliances will be noticed the most. A good looking kitchen really makes a difference. The next item would then be the furnace as it is can be a good energy saver if it is old, however, a good service and cleanout may be all you need on this. Then as another agent mentioned, place a home warranty on the home for the future buyer. I would recommend a home warranty anyway as they help in the sale of your home. As for the washer and dryer, it depends on the condition and look. This would be the very last item I would replace as many buyers, even if they are renters moving into their first home, will already have a washer and dryer.

My professional experience has shown that offering credits over fixing issues will net you less. Time and time again I have seen where a home was offering repair costs but still sold far below market value. Most buyers (unless an investor) like to have as little work as possible. Fixing the problem will go much farther.

I hope this information has helped.
Web Reference: http://www.homelantern.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 18, 2007
If it is an option, you could put an allowance in the contract for new appliances. Like 2000 dollars. This is an incentive for the buyer and a way to negotiate the price while giving them something in return. Unless the appliances are really old and unattractive, I would give the seller the choice of putting new ones in.
Web Reference: http://zoglist.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 18, 2007
Talk Now here........

Dena, You make valid points. It was funny that you suggested I look at other pictures since I am so critical of realtors’ picture taking skills.

Richard, In our mature neighborhood we have homes in all conditions. That is what makes it hard to decide what to do.

Jim. Thanks for a great answer.

Pam, Thanks for your opinion.

Deborah, Second place. You made very good points about the whole picture. Jim missed that, but provided a list of options.

Cindi, You made very good points. Why did your colleagues frown on your response?

Ian, Thanks for your opinion. Why did your colleagues frown upon your response?

Keith, I am still insulted about being called naive and ignorant.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 18, 2007
Today's buyer is picky and can be because there are plenty of homes to choose. They will pick the home in the best condition. I'm afraid if you wait until you get the offer to negotiate, will you miss out on any offers? Because 80% of the people go online, they can see pictures of everything available quickly. And 75% of these people know within seconds of looking online whether they want to go to your home or not. Price and condition (which includes how it shows) are the number two factors in selling your home. So do what you can to make your home show better than the others in your price range, as long as you don't do too many upgrades that you price yourself out of the market. Go online and look at the pictures of the homes within a range of what you'd like to list and go from there.
Web Reference: http://homenashvilletn.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 18, 2007
Updating/replacing the appliance is a plus and will show better. However, they will not increase the value of your property.
Web Reference: http://pamwinterbauer.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 17, 2007
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
As a Realtor AND an investor, I will negotiate the items you mentioned after an offer is made if it is important to the buyer. You'll find a lot of different opinions on this. Also depends on the age and condition of your home. I assume it has not been updated? Why buy appliances if a buyer is going to come in, rip everything out and start over? Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.cindihagley.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 17, 2007
Cindi Hagley,…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
Definitely..just do not replace appliances with anything Fridgerdaire. As a minimum, replace hot water heater, AC, dishwasher...then washer/dryer and if you cannot afford the furnace, throw in a one yr warranty if you have a strong potential buyer..it will cost you $400.00, but give a potential buyer some peace of mind.
Web Reference: http://www.iansellsnola.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 17, 2007
Hello Talk Now, I suggest you do whatever it takes to get your home in good selling condition. Take a look at what the closest homes have and compare to yours. If they all have stainless steel, I suggest you get it too.
Talk now
Yes! Replacing appliances would be a big plus.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA