Eileen, Home Seller in Knoxville, TN

Should we list our house now or wait till spring and hope the market has had a up turn?

Asked by Eileen, Knoxville, TN Mon Oct 27, 2008

We are closing on a lot next week and have our house fsbo for the last 3 months without much luck. We can wait and list in the spring if you think the market will be better then.

Answers

9
Liz Snide’s answer
Eileen,
You are receiving great information. As far as your timing, is your house READY to go on the market NOW?

The market in Knoxville is active and relatively strong-a few weeks or even months won't make a huge difference unless interest rates jump up which will negatively impact the home market. A home that is priced to its condition will sell. Have you previewed your competition and looked at your home objectively, such as is the paint neutral and in good condition inside and out, flooring, appliances, clutter? This is an overview, of course, but sell your home on your time frame. Nobody enjoys having their life disturbed for showings and constant pageant-cleaning.

If you and your home are ready, then go!
Kind regards,
Liz
Eileen,

I can understand why you would ask this question, the general public has formed the opinion that "spring" is the best time to sell you home. I would have to say this has not proven true for me and my past/current clients. There are a lot of interesting factors that can be considered during all four seasons. If you think about Relocations for example, most (not all) companies don't make changes the first quarter and end up trying to get a person in a position before first quarter. That is why Oct, Nov, & Dec. have proven to be fantastic months for relocating. Like another lady mentioned, when prospective buyers are out looking at homes during the holidays or are visiting family, they start to think..wow, I am ready for a change. Another thing to consider is families with children, maybe they didn't want to move right when school started. By waiting this has given them time to get familiar with school and they are more stable to start the search.

There was one gentleman who mentioned FSBO vs. Listing with a Realtor and I want you to know that I do agree with him not ony because I am a Realtor but it is truly the smart thing to do. If you stop and think we don't try to do dental work ourselves, or write our own insurance policies. There is a reason we all use Professionals everyday. I wish you all the best and hope you have found this helpful. I also truly hope you are able to sell your home. If there is anything at all I can do to help or if you just have further questions please feel free to call me 865-684-6618 or email me at Ash@ashleyfinney.com

Ashley Finney-White
I agree with Keith Sorem's comments. I want to add to that: if you wait until Spring, like everyone else, you will have much much more competition as the market will be flooded with even more homes available for sale. Price it competitively, make it look great, get a good agent (interview a few) that understands what you expect.

Check out "Getting Your Home In Top Selling Condition" at http://jlewishomes.com/prepare.html

J Lewis
Eileen
If I may risk irritating you...when you opt to sell your home without professional representation, it is not the same as "listing it". It's called a listing because there is a listing agreement (perhaps a fine point).

According to Trulia 434 homes sold recently. So the problem is not that homes are not selling. Your home is not selling. Only about 10 of home owners are successful in selling their home on their own., 85% eventually list with a Realtor.

I suggest talking with a Realtor NOW about your situation. I will be happy to provide you with a referral to a top Realtor. I am recommending to my clients that they sell NOW, not wait until spring.. They can analyze your situation, discuss options, then you decide.

Check out the link below
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Hi Eileen,
Run don't walk to get your marketing efforts into full swing. This does not necessarily mean list the property as compared to fsbo but get all efforts underway.
This market is not getting any better, in fact I believe it to be worsening and waiting will cost you money.
James Joseph
Eileen,

Regardless of weather you list it now or later, it is essentila in the current market to take listing it seriously. What this means is implementing a comprehensive marketing plan that includes, pricing it right, high visibility advertising and promotion, and a company & agent that have a track record for getting things done.

We recommend investing some time in identifying an agent that will work with you to find success.

it doesnt cost you anything to keep your home on the market, so why not do so in case a buyer does come around, especiallty seeing prices will have fallen a good percentage more by next spring lowering any possible sales price. you need to list with a trusted broker in your area, if you need a referral, i do know someoen who has treated me well in the past. they can give you a brokers price oppinion to see if you are priced correctly in todays market. good luck with the sale and please let me know if you need some help.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Eileen, Sherry is right. so many sellers decide to pull their homes off the market during the holidays but it is a great time to sell as the buyers who are out looking during this time are SERIOUS buyers. Homes do look their best during the holidays. Don't want the intrusion of buyers coming in and out. No one will expect you to show your home on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve or Christmas Day and if you sell it closing can always be scheduled around or just after the holidays. I agree with Sherry, Sell now. If I caln help you or answer any other questions you may have email me anytime.
Houses show very well during the holidays. The decorations do make it warm & inviting. If interest rates go down there will be a lot more activity. If your house is priced right and is move in ready it will sell. Houses are selling and loans are available for those with good credit. A lot of people may pull there houses off the market for the holidays so why not list yours when the inventory is down? I'd list.