Home Selling in Grayslake>Question Details

Meaghan, Home Buyer in Verona, NJ

Should the agency that an agent is with matter to a seller?

Asked by Meaghan, Verona, NJ Fri Jul 17, 2009

to consider (several I have already interviewed and the others I simply know by reputation). Assuming that the agents I am considering have excellent reputations, does it matter which real estate agency they are with? I ask because I am concerned about a far-reaching marketing plan of my home. I know when I have looked for homes in the past from out-of-area, there are go-to real estate company sites that I immediately use. I am a little hesitant to contract with an agent at a smaller agency or more of a regional agency as opposed to the more nationally known agencies. Can anyone walk me through this? Thanks! MK

Answers

2
Bill Eckler-Florida,’s answer
Absolutely.......both agents and their companies should be engaged in comprehensive marketing programs that should not be one and the same. When meeting with agent possibilities be sure to ask them to elaborate on both their and their company's marketing strategy.

There is a big difference between agents with a company that spends millions annually on advertising and promotion and those that cut corners and think people will find them. This does not necessarily mean the "big name" companies are the answer. Do some homework and ask the right questions. it may make a difference.

Meaghan,

After 35 years of helping people buy and sell real estate I've always felt that it's the agent that makes the company and not the company that makes the agent. There are lots of agents at very fine and well respected companies that have all the facilities and tools provided to them by the company and still do not do very much business. It's the agents that have the drive and motivation to help people and make a success out of every transaction that you should work with. Ask your friends for referrals. Find out if they have had a good experience. Ask the agent to show you their track record. In this challenging market you need an agent who understands what it takes to sell a property. They may not tell you what you wnat to hear, but it will be the truth. If you are interested in interviewing anyone else, I'd be happy to talk with you.

Best of luck to you,
Al Aronow
RE/MAX Suburban
847-557-8501