Ebe, Home Seller in Virginia Beach, VA

Should a listing agent be present when one of their listings is being shown?

Asked by Ebe, Virginia Beach, VA Tue Sep 14, 2010

This is my first time selling a home and I'm not sure how this works. Should my agent be at my house when it's being shown to a prospective buyer? The buyer's agent is with them when they're looking. Should my agent be there too?

Answers

27
Absolutely ! As listing agents, we represent our clients(s) and their best interest. This is especially necessary when your home is being shown by a Certified Buyer Representative(CBR) or an Accredited Buyer Representative (ABR) who does not represent the seller or the seller's best interest since they are representing the buyer and the buyer's best interest. .By not being present, you are not available to answer any questions the buyers may have and are not available to assist in the showing of your listing especially if the agent who is bringing their customer to see your listing is not familiar with the area or the home being shown. As the listing agents we stay out of the way but always within earshot. When you get a chance, read the agency disclosure form you should have signed when your home was listed with a BROKER.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 31, 2014
Personally, I attend all possible showings. I am quiet but my sellers are paying me to sell their home, not put up a sign and a lock box. Everyone has a different opinion but if the house is vacant and i can be there, I am. If the home is occupied and the seller leave for the showing and I can be there, I am. If the home is occupied by the owner and they are home, I AM ABSOLUTELY THERE FOR THE ENTIRE TIME. If the sellers are out of town, I am there for all showings because there is no one there to tell me if anything is missing so I make sure I walk around with the buyers and their agent.

Reason's Why I am make sure I am present:

1) Valuable information gleaned from buyers that buyers agents don't always give after a showing
2) To prevent sellers from saying things that should not be said
3) To discuss with sellers things that were said right after a showing
4) To protect sellers from being asked questions that should not be asked
5) To prevent an attempt to find out how motivated the seller is by fishing for price negotiations

All the above being said, the sellers I have worked with have applauded my active involvement as that is what they are paying me to do, sell their home. Whether a buyer's agent likes it or not, I try to be present for vacant home showings, try to be present for owner not present showings, and I am always present if a seller is home during the showing, or if the showing is with a renter who is home during the showing.

Thanks - Cammy Harboldt RE/MAX Ideal Brokers, Inc. - 541-761-9552 Southern Oregon
Generally no but it really depends on the type of listing. I list residential and commercial properties and generally commercial agents (for buyers) rely heavily on the listing agent to attend the showing of the property (at least that's been my experience) and give the grand tour... so to speak. Higher end residential also has more of a call for attended showings by the listing agent mostly due to security reasons and the numerous amenities involved. That said the majority of the time I stay away for the reasons already outlined. If the buyer is interested in a specific feature of the home the buyers agent can call me and get the additional info they need, generally right away. My 2cents. Hope that helps!
No. It makes the buyer uncomfortable.
No. It makes the buyer uncomfortable.
No. It makes the buyer uncomfortable.
Ebe:

It looks like the custom and practice in your area is for the listing agent NOT to be present. However, that is not the case in all markets and/or in all price ranges. For example, I was taught by my broker to be present at showings of my listing whenever possible. This is in part because in my office we sell almost exclusively historic and premium properties. Many of the agents showing our listings are not familiar with historic properties and their special issues at all, so we try to be a helpful source of information for that agent AND their client. I tell the showing agent that I will be there to provide information, not to "hard sell" the property. After an initial walk through with the buyer's agent and his or her prospect, I excuse myself and encourage them to take as much time in the property on their own as they would like. Nine times out of ten, the agent AND the buyer seem to really appreciate the extra information.

So, I have to say I respectfully disagree with those folks who say "never." Good luck selling your home! MS
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 19, 2010
No, not necessary if the buyer's agent is there.
Bad idea, if a buyer has an agent with them. To many mouth's in the mix. Let the buyer's agent do their job and your agent needs to stay away. The buyer's can get really offended if a HAWK is looming over them and butting in. As agents we build a relationship with our client's and if someone else get involved, well 9 times out of 10 it will end in disaster. Let me know if I can help with anything else. As a 12 year Army Vet I do understand what your going through.

Kevin Monette
William E. Wood at the mall
monette_55@yahoo.com
757-735-2628
It depends on what showing arrangements you agreed to with your agent.
Web Reference: http://www.golftobeach.com
Normally, buyer's agents feel intruded upon by the presense of a listing agent, but that is no reason not to be present at showings of your listing. There are two types of agents, one will show a proeperty pointing out all the high points as well as negative issues, provided they're experienced enough to notice evrything. The other simply opens the door and lets the prospect gleefully walk around the home without regard to the pros and cons of that home. In my 23 years in the business I have witnessed both, many times the latter. I instruct my clients to "take control" if they witness the buyer's agent simply walking around without highlighting the home. Listing agents are most often not present for showings, the exceptions being higher priced homes which may be substantially larger and not as familiar to the buyer's agent. That choice really is up to the seller which should be discussed at the time the listing is signed.
The answer will depend on the trades and customs in your area.

I'm in the northern Chicago suburbs, and in my area, the listing agents do not normally accompany showings. But just a few miles to the south, in the city of Chicago... the city agents accompany 90% of their showings.

So the answer for your question is "it depends"... but this is an easy conversation to have with your agent, and discuss the pros and cons.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Normally the listing agent is not present. The selling agent shows the home.
Look for an agent who answers his phone. Look for an ePro agent who knows and understands web 2.0 and can successfully get your property to the most people.
Having your agent present is not practical! Without a team, this would be impossible for an agent to be present at your home everytime it is show. If it was a team, do not count on the agent that listed your home to be the one present showing it. Ask the question, if agent says they are going to do this. Honestly, if you expected this ever time your listing was shown, I would turn you down as a client as I would not be able to meet your expectations. Find a REALTOR that you feel comofortable with their marketing plan / strategy to get your home sold in this crazy market. Look. at the difference in listings when a professional photographer is hired.. . There is a funny clip on Youtube. Type in bad real estate photos. The real estate market is going to be like this for a while, so I to achieve your objective I would recoommend keeping your home on the market. It only takes one buyer!, but you deserve maximum marketing exposure too. Hopefully, you are receiving feedback and the agent walked through the property initially to make suggestions to sell the property as their is a lot of competition out there, and you do not get a second chance to impress this market. Good Luck!
Ebe,

No it's not neccessary for your agent to be present. On some high end listings my clients want appointments with me for showings. They are concerned about all their artwork in the house. Otherwise it's best that your realtor have as much information available. Someone over selling the house can definitiely be a negative.
I admit it, I didn't interview anyone else. This realtor came highly recommended by several people that I know and we wanted to get the house on the market quickly, to take advantage of incoming military transfers, the summertime, etc.
We have a few weeks left on our contract with this agent and are not planning on resigning. Is it rude to interview other realtors while the contract is still in place?
We have until next spring to sell this house (we're being transferred). Should we keep it on, or take a break and relist later? I'd heard fall is a good time to try to sell.
The fall is NOT the best time to sell a home generally. And if rates tic up in the fall your pool of buyers will shrink as well. We are in prime time right now. Call me and I'll be happy to show you what I do that most agents don't to get your home sold.
http://www.FindYourVirginiaBeachHome.com
Flag Tue Apr 22, 2014
Flag Tue Apr 22, 2014
A good rule of thumb is for the listing agent to be present to show your home without the current owners present. It helps the potential buyers envision themselves in the space when the focus is off the current owners. There may be scheduling complexities . And it can be inconvienant for the homeowner to leave the house for showings, thus It's a great benefit to sellers to open their home up to an open house. Good Luck!!
You can approach any Realtors to discuss future listing of your home. No Realtors should be contacting you about future lisitngs of your home. They will have to wait for expiration or cancellation of your agreement with your current agent to begin marketing the home.

The only time I've seen the listing agent required (or request) to be at showings is for very high end homes.
Hi Ebe, your agent don't have to be at the showing if the buyers is coming with hir or her agent. Before you listed the house you should of interview at least 3 or 4 agents and see their sales record. I believe in marketing, craiglist, google, trulia, facebook, zillow, etc... the MLS it is not enough especially when you want to sell quick. big signs, open house, colorful fliers, advertize in the real estate book for those that dont have computers. It is a buyers market and you listing agent have to be aggressive and give your house 150% to sell it quick. Talk to your agent, talk to her broker if you still not happy. Let me know if you have any other concerns.
I'm Sara Andrews with The Chantel Ray Team at William E. Wood at the Mall. We sell more homes than anyone in all of Hampton Roads. To answer your question. No. Having two agents present for a showing is too much pressure on the buyers. They need to feel comfortable looking through the home and talking with their agent. They may also not stay long in viewing the property feeling rushed to get in and get out.

We believe in craigslist and militarybyowner. In fact we advertise on 42 websites and spend over 36k a month in advertising. We always have a live agent answering all calls and e-mails from 9am-9pm every day. Give me a call and I am happy to speak to you about our marketing plan. 757-572-7401
Ebe,

I really wanted to answer your question since this is the first time you are selling. The answer is no...not unless you have an unattended child at home or very special reason. The buyer's agent is responsible for taking their client through your home. In most cases, it is very counter-productive if your agent were present too. That buyer just wants their agent's opinion and help as that is the person that they have hired to assist them. They really don't need two agents present and trying to chat them up while they are trying to look at your home and determine whether or not it would suit their needs.

I also feel that buyer's should be able to walk through homes with their agent without anyone else present. It will give them the freedom to discuss things openly with their agent and not feel like they are intruding.

From reading your comments below...it sounds as if you are not totally satified with your agent's service. Give that person a chance and if you are not completely satified with the service/marketing of your home that you are being provided, then interview some other area agents. Every agent does things differently and no one person is exactly right or wrong when marketing real estate. However, I have found that the more exposure you give a property...the better chance you will have selling it.

Good luck to you and I hope that you have much success!
Web Reference: http://www.tinabeasley.com
Ebe-if you are unhappy with your agent then you should first talk to your agent about your concerns. If you still aren't comfortable talk to their broker. Hopefully you can resolve anything that is bothering you about their marketing and come to a positive outcome.h
My agent assured me that potential buyers are prequalified before they walk through. That's why my realtor doesn't believe in open houses, Craig's List, or militarybyowner.com
In fact, I think the only thing my realtor does believe in doing is listing my home on the MLS. That's it. Nothing more. Oh, I'm sorry, I've got directional signs and flyers (in black and white, and the pictures don't do the house any justice)
Usually no, but it depends on the situation. If you would like the agent to be there when your house is being shown, then that is something you should discuss with your agent, however it is not something that agents commonly do.
It's very uncommon for a listing agent to be at a showing. It's usully possible for the listing agent to have their lockbox set up to notify them when another agent opens it and shows the property.

Regarding the first answer, why would an agent show a property to someone who isn't interested or can't afford it? Maye things are done differently in Virginia Beach . . . . . . .
Hello Ebe. The answer to that question really is determined on a case-by-case basis, with no general rule applicable. The decision with respect to that is part of the formulation of the marketing strategy for a specific property. If the professional believes that his or her presence - and conduct of a tour of the property for each buyer prospect and buyer agent - will enhance showings and, accordingly, strengthen the chances of a sale, then it ought to be considered and probably done. It ultimately also is something that is discussed between, and decided among, the professional and his or her listing client.

Let me know if I can provide further information or assistance. Good luck.

Wayne Goodman
wayne.goodman@longandfoster.com
Not generally, but if you ask you agent to be there they should absolutely be there. A lot of buyers agents (the one showing the home) will bring by clients who will either not be interested, not able to afford, or for whatever reason can't purchase the home. I know this is surprising but a lot of agents do not prequalify their buyers.

I hope this helps! :)