Home Selling in Glen Cove>Question Details

tracylee1, Home Buyer in Oyster Bay, NY

Should I update my outdated kitchen before I try to sell?

Asked by tracylee1, Oyster Bay, NY Tue Jun 26, 2012

our kitchen has laminated wood cabinets from the 80s. We would like to sell but were told by a realtor (who happens to work in an extremely upscale area -we do not) that we'll lose our shirt if we try to sell w/an outdated kitchen

Answers

2
why don't you call in a ReAL estate agent in your area, perhaps some staging, or painting will make a difference You can use a product called BIN and change hardware out easily. . I am a Real estate Agent in Glen Cove and I would be happy to take a look at your home and give you some tips!
mail me at GogglesP33@aol.com, or call my cell 516-286-0024
roberta cerasi Glen Key Realty Ltd.
Tracylee,
Great question but the answer is, it depends. What will it cost to update the kitchen and what price does this agent expect you to get both as is and with the new kitchen? If a $10,000 upgrade is doable and will get you at least $10,000 back and you are willing and able to go through the process, the benefit will be a faster sale. Obviously if you can net more than the cost it makes more sense.
Before you proceed though, get a couple of different agents opinions. Make sure they are more local and have recent sales in a similar price point to yours. There is no sense going through the effort if it won't help or will cost you more than you get out of the deal.
If you do elect to move forward with the upgrades, keep it clean, simple and generic. Bold colors, odd layouts that might appeal to some may turn off many others. Don't over-improve the kitchen either, you won't get the money back. If you are not certain what level to bring it to, ask one of the agents to show you a similar house currently on the market with an updated kitchen.