Home Selling in Glen Cove>Question Details

tracylee1, Home Buyer in Oyster Bay, NY

Should I update my outdated kitchen before I try to sell?

Asked by tracylee1, Oyster Bay, NY Tue Jun 26, 2012

our kitchen has laminated wood cabinets from the 80s. We would like to sell but were told by a realtor (who happens to work in an extremely upscale area -we do not) that we'll lose our shirt if we try to sell w/an outdated kitchen

Answers

8
Janet Nation, CBR’s answer
The kitchen should have been updated prior to your need to move so that you could have at least enjoyed it while you own the home. Updating your kitchen may help to sell your home quicker but you will NEVER recoup the cost, in fact you will sell at a loss. The best you can do right now is to make the kitchen sparking clean, fresh coat of paint, and tighten up any lose ends. It sounds like you find another realtor, that's poor advice in my opinion.
It is an agents dream to have a listing with a beautiful updated kitchen and baths and you will get less for the house if it is not 'updated' but it is most important that the kitchen is bright and clean.
A total kitchen redo adds as much as 82 percent of the cost renovation to the value of the home. That being said there are others things to consider. You can 'refresh' your kitchen with paint / new countertops etc.at minimal cost and add value to the house, not to mention that your buyers taste may not be the same as yours. Most importantly, the kitchen should be bright and clean.
In general you will lose money completely redoing the kitchen. The same way you would get more than one doctors opinion, you should get several realtors opinions. Almost all realtors offer a free market analysis, invite three or four over and pick their brains. Most realtors are more than happy to give you their opinions and some ideas, even if you don't end up listing with them. Hear more opinions before sinking big money in that you probably won't get back.

Tom Brady SFR, e-Pro, SRES, GREEN
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Notary Public, Ret. NYPD Lt.
631-682-8660
Tom@BradyFamilyRealty.com
http://www.BradyFamilyRealty.com
"We treat you like family!"
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Plaza - Suite 104
Plainview, New York 11803
I will be able to give you some helpful information about
marketing your home. I can help with information on what
must be done to increase the value of your home. With a
free detailed marketing analyze report, you will see your
home compared to others. If you had your home on the
market previously and are still interested in selling or buying
a home. I would be glad to meet with you to discuss how we
can sell your home fast and easily.Hope to be speaking with
you soon.Thank you.

Fajardo Delacruz
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Century Homes Realty Group llc
Direct Line: 347-932-0609
Hi Tracey, there are a number of improvements you can do to an 'outdated kitchen' without breaking the bank. The luxury Realtor isn't necessarily correct in suggesting that not updating your kitchen in it's entirety would make you loose your shirt. This would apply mostly to luxury homes where buyers expect it. I would need to see your kitchen in order to give you the best advice (not a sales pitch).
Contact me anytime.
Jeff Stone
Laffey Fine Homes
917-741-8294
Jstone@Laffey.com
Oftentimes simple cosmetics may do the trick; fresh paint, replace knobs/hardware, add molding, make sure it's neat/sparkling clean/de-cluttered; make sure every appliance works (no leaky faucets); operational—working counter space; space creativity involves positioning of tables, chairs, shelving and other floor accessories to invite getting-togetherness during food preparation; it doesn’t have to be modern; shiny and nostalgic may often be more appealing. It doesn’t have to be spacious—just an appearance of such. If you need additional assistance feel free to contact me directly.
There are smaller steps you can take than gutting and re-doing.

One nice improvement that seems to change the kitchen is to replace the counters with granite. I send my clients to a granite fellow in Farmingdale to purchase from their large remnant yard. There are really large nice pieces there. He measures, cuts and installs and does fabulous work for a lot less than purchasing retail.

Feel free to contact me and I will share the name/location with you.

Fresh paint brightens up everything. Make sure there is NOTHING on your counters; imagine yourself walking through a model home. It should be fresh, spotless and minimized. And please, remove anything you have magnetized to the appliances...they should be absolutely bare.

Minimal is the answer to everything.

gail@GladstoneGroupRealty.com
631-425-6150