Chris Martin,  in 30030

Should I stage my second bedroom as a dining room? It fits the definition of a bedroom but it looks great with a dining table in the middle of it.

Asked by Chris Martin, 30030 Thu May 20, 2010

It has an almost octagonal shape. Half of the room is pretty much half an octagon. The other half has an L shaped wall coming in through the corner. It's hard to explain in words but I can't draw a picture here unfortunately. So you could fit a queen bed in the room, but it doesn't look very attractive. I'm advertising my home as a 2 bedroom home, so does it confuse potential buyers to stage it as a dining room?

Answers

14
Chris,

You have to stage the rooms in your home the way that you want buyers to imagine that they would use them. If it's one of the two bedrooms, then you definitely should set it up as a bedroom. By putting a dining room table in the room buyers will think that it's a one bedroom house whether you have it listed as a two bedroom or not.

Maybe buy a smaller bedframe and mattress second-hand to stage it with a smaller bed size to make it look better?

Good luck with your sale!
Hi Chris. Yes, it will confuse and also point out that perhaps there needs to be additional dining area??? Generally, not a good idea to reduce number of bedrooms in buyer's eyes. Good luck with it. Hope you are able to move it quickly. Market showing some good signs right now.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 20, 2010
Showcase your home as a 2 bedroom as more buyers are looking for a 2nd bedroom than a dining room when they are home hunting! Since the space is unusual you could just the table as a "desk" to make it more of an office space. Either way don't confuse the buyers by making it look like a dining area.
No question, stage as second bedroom...for most of the reasons listed here.
Speak with your listing agent but I would not suggest staging it as a dining room, particularly if you've listed it as a two bedroom. I can assure you a second bedroom has more value than a formal dining room.
What are one bedroom homes selling for?
What are two bedroom homes selling for?
What are homes without a separate living room selling for?
-
Clearly you want to be in the 2 bedroom price segment. When a potential buyer questions if or what a space was used for, they will not make an offer. if they can not remember your home has 2 bedrooms they will focus on the ones they do remember.
-
Recently was showing a very nice home and the seller and their agent followed the buyers around like a pack of puppies. The buyer was unable to 'see' themselves in the home. So, when they reviewed the days showing they could not answer the question, "Was the pool visible from the kitchen?" This is crucially important.
-
Do not create conditions where a buyer will question the use of space or the tangible assets of your home.
-
When your home is being shown.....be gone.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Hi Chris,

Try keeping things simple.....if you are promoting your unit as a two bedroom, it's probably best to stage the space as a bedroom. It may look nice with a table in it but most buyers are likely prefer seeing it as a bedroom.

Do not stage Bedroom 2 as a dining room. You would confuse the heck out of most buyers by staging it as a dining room.

Staging is marketing. If you are in doubt as to what works, get feedback from the first couple of agents to show the house.

If you have a listing Realtor, listen to her advice.
Stage it as the Bedroom it is......2 bedrooms are much more valuable than 1 bedroom + a dining room. Don't know many buyers looking for a 1 bedroom house. Good Luck.
Hello Chris,
Yes I think you nay confuse the buyer looking for that second bedroom if you are advertising the home as a 2 bedroom. I am assuming that there is currently not a dining room, and this room in your opinion would make a great dining room area. However my experience with buyers who are looking for 2 bedrooms is they need 2 and want to see 2 bedrooms in the home. Although the room may present well as the dining room, it could be disapointing and confusing at best to appear as a 1 bedoom home or a 2 bedroom home without a dining room. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.
I have a vision of just how incongruent and odd this will look in your cute, but tiny 30030 house.

Bad idea, Chris.
Help your buyer envision the use of the bedroom as a bedroom or they walk away confused. You may need to rent a smaller bed to stage with.

Mark Lackey
Atlanta Housing Source at
Solid Source Realty, Inc.
Associate Broker
EcoBroker
404-886-8789

Services
Home Buyers & Sellers - http://www.AtlantaHousingSource.com
Property Management – http://www.SolidSourcePM.com
Thanks all. I neglected to mention that the kitchen is very large so you can comfortable fit a dining table inside the kitchen. So there's still a spot for the dining table if I take it out of this room.
When you bought it, was it more alluring as a dining room or bedroom? Is it the 2nd bedroom and otherwise a 1 bedroom home? What is moving quicker in your area, 2 beds or separate dining room? Hire a professional.