Terrence Col…, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Should I sell my house? We bought pretty low 3 years ago and upgraded paint throughout the house. Also upgraded kitchen with appliances and refacing.

Asked by Terrence Coleman, San Diego, CA Tue Aug 2, 2011

Answers

19
Hi Terrence,

Great for you - buying three years ago most likely means you have a good amount of equity built into your home - even without the upgraded kitchen.

But here are my questions - in order of importance:

Are you happy in your home?
Does your home meet your current needs?
If you sell, will you be buying in the same general area (eg San Diego County)?

If you sell your home, happy with the return due to appreciation and upgrades, then go buy a new home in the same county, chances are that home also increased in price over the last 4 years. Also, with the increase in sales price, your most likely going to have a higher tax bill, so factor this in to your equation as well (always speak to a tax professional).

Hope this helps!

David Rudd
Voted BEST Service 2012
david@kindredre.com
Terrence, Are you planning on buying again? If so, have you confirmed that you can qualify for a new purchase in today's lending world? I would encourage you to explore the "after" of selling your home as much as the decision to sell or not. If may well make more sense for you to retain the property for awhile. However, as Shanna has pointed out you would need to elaborate on your goals and motivations in order to provide you with more concrete advice.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 3, 2011
Hi Terrence,

Whether you should sell your house depends on several factors....You don't provide much information as to why you're thinking of selling. Do you need to move for work? You bought low but will it be a short sale? Do you need to sell due to financial reasons? Do you just want to change location? The reason(s) you are thinking of selling would determine if you should sell or not.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 2, 2011
Last month I faced the same situation. I found a Real Estate website http://www.sichermove.com . I have registered there and I got good response with in 3 weeks. They will help to find house at reasonable price
Web Reference: http://www.sichermove.com
Terrance,

Many great answers here, but so many questions left to be answered. I offer a complementary home valuation, no strings attached. Should you be interested in this service, please let me know and I will help inform you so that you make an informed decision for you and your family. That being said, my associate has a client looking to purchase in your neighborhood, and there could possibly be a fit.

I am an a open book and a wealth of knowledge, feel free to email, call or text me with questions.

To gain insight as to who I am, how I conduct myself and how I take great care of my clients, please refer to my recommendations on Trulia.

Very Respectfully,

Neal I. Akin
The Akin real Estate Team
Coastal Premier Properties
858.692.0677
nealakin@gmail.com
http://www.nealakin.com
BRE# 01812949
If you are in PQ, we have low inventory in the area with a strong demand for homes. If you have an upgraded kitchen that adds value to any property. You probably have a fair amount of equity in your home. I would consider selling simply because the demand in our area is quite high and there isn't a lot in the 92129 zip code. In fact, I do opens and live in the area and people are asking if we know of a type of property because they are renting in the area and wish to stay.
I can probably show you some comps that will get you top dollar for your property. The only thing is -- do you have something to go to?
Let's chat.

Nancy S Bergman
Realtor - Cal BRE #01893550
Keller William- Carmel Valley
12780 High Bluff Dr #130
San Diego, CA 92130
Cell (858) 617-9449
Email - nbergman1@live.com
Yes you should sell if you already have another home that you are interested in. Inventory is at all time low and the demand is up. The real estate business is all about timing.

Best Wishes,

David R. Indermill

Re/Max Hall Of Fame, CDPE | Since 1998 | Luxury Real Estate Advisor
International Referrals | Bank Owned Assets | Off Market Properties
Large Cash Investor Fast Close Network | B.R.E License # 01232827

http://www.SanDiegoHomeStore.Com

Cell: 858-414-LIST (5478) Texting OK
Fax: 858-430-5544
Email: david@sandiegohomestore.com

http://www.trulia.com/profile/sandiegohomestore/
Terrence,

I recommend you sell if you want to capture the equity as cash, or roll it into another home. Lock in the historical low 30 yr fixed rate loan and cruise on autopilot. The day rates start to climb, it will become increasingly harder to qualify and will slow down appreciation.

Dave Liesch, Realtor
619-750-6626
http://www.LieschRealtyGroup.com
Now is the time to sell and move up, especially when the sales are quick and it's the perfect time of the year. First a property evaqluation with recent comps would be adviseable, and a net sheet to justify putting your property on the market.

Stella Biggs
Summit Realty Group
619-384-1945
Hi Terrence,

I was just speaking to a friend of mine last night and I told him the "bottom" was late 2009 from what I can see. On top of that the last year has seen about a 10% increase....about the biggest in 7 years. In fact the market is so perfect for a Seller because demand is high and inventory is EXTREMELY low. I will be glad to give you an accurate value on your home and tell you how you can possibly get even MORE than market value. Frederick Remick 619-519-3287
Hi Terrence,

It sounds like you need some up to date information on the current market conditions, taking into account the work you have done on your house. I am happy to send you a complimentary comparative market analysis to help inform your decisions. If priced and marketed properly, a home listed in today's market will sell VERY quickly, for top dollar. Low inventory and great rates have turned this into a seller's market, if you have an experienced realtor working for you.
I guess it depends on what the motivation is for selling? There isn't too much background information in your question to guide us in answering you.
Hello Terrence,
Are you an investor? If you're in the business of flipping, you should know the answer as to whether you should sell. If you're successfully flipping homes, you're probably working with an agent who is giving you counsel on what sells in a particular neighborhood, where good values can be found and assists with marketing.

If you're someone who is thinking of moving up to a larger home, then you should discuss this with an agent, who can perform an analysis on the market value of your home.

In either case, you need an agent. There is not enough information you have provided to give you an answer. This discussion is better conducted one-on-one with a professional whom you can share information with so you both can agree on a course of action.

Best of luck.

SuZ
PML
of Longmont, CO
I always believe that the decision whether to sell now or wait depends upon a number of variables unique to your circumstances.. What are your goals for selling? Are you having trouble marking payments?

The next couple of years are predicted to stay relatively flat here in San Diego. If jobs, the economy, etc were ont the upswing, I would suggest holding off if you can.

So, I suggest you speak with a trusted Realtor who will help you determine what is right for you and your family. When in doubt, I believe these are family decisions. If you can improve your circumstances by selling, then go for it. If not, then it's better to hold off.

I'm always available for a free consultation.
If You are trying to get Top-Dollar, don't sell now. If You need to move on for some reason, or more importantly, it would give You some peace of mind to cash out this investment, then go for it.

Finding out the Real Market Value could sway Your decision, no doubt. I would either pay the $400 for an appraisal or call the Real Estate Help Line and get a Free Home valuation. 1.888.951.2929

Mr Credit
Hi Terrence,
Lots of factors will go into this decision. Your best bet is to check with a real estate agent as to what the current value is and what the price of the home you may be thinking of moving to would be.

Good Luck and Feel Free to Contact me Directly, I would love to assist!

Thanks!
Sinead McALlister
858-205-5215
brokermcallister@gmail.com
http://www.McAllisterHomes.com
I would definatly contact an agent and find the value in todays current market. Doing work to upgrade your home is great making it more desirable and show better then other homes but you want to make sure that the value is still their and that you can walk away with money in your pocket or at the very least a wash. I dont think that the market is a great market to flip in but if you bought really low their may be some value. I wish you the best of luck.

Heather
Before you Sell your home, find its Value. Upgrading is Great, it will show better than most homes on the Market. If the sell of your Home will give you a Net Proceeds of X, then sell. If not and Mortgage payment are becoming over whelming maybe Rent, and hold.

The Value of X is the amount you can Buy another Home, place into a Savings Account earn Interest, etc.

Call me if you have any Questions.

Don Alexander REALTOR
1st Prime Realty
619-581-4255
Ca.Dept. Real Estate Lic.01456248
If you want to make the most possible money then sell immediately. Expect homes to lose another 20% in the next year. Then, in 2013, massive, massive tax increase will destroy the remaining homes value.

Get out while you can. This is getting serious now.