Home Selling in Woodbine>Question Details

Click, Real Estate Pro in ,

Should I fix my house up, e.g. new stainless steel appliances, remove tree stumps in front yard, etc.?

Asked by Click, , Fri Jul 31, 2009

Cher Varnum-Glenn’s answer
Hi Click, definitely get rid of the stumps. No one wants to see them when they drive up to a home. As for the appliances, there are some techniques that can be used to enhance their current appearance. I do stage homes so if you want some free advice, just click on my pic! Cher
Absolutely if you want to get market value for your home. I just sold a home in Linthicum in 7 days. Every suggestion I gave the owner he did. He did get market value for his home, and it did appraise! In this market to sell you need to be the best looking home at the best price. Buyers have a lot of inventory to look at and if your home shows well and is priced right it will sell! You are competing with forecloseures and short sales, and a lot of these homes require little work.
It depends, are you planning to sell your home?
If so, are you planning to sell for the highest price you can get, or would you rather sell for less?

You might want to look at the link below. It appears that you have a declining market.

In order to net the most profit your property needs to project the most value. Properties properly prepared for sale will have shorter market times, sell for more money, and there will be less negotiating for repairs.

One of the main reasons that homeowners hire a Realtor is to find out what needs to be done in order to accomplish the above. They know the local market and can advise what you can do to boost your value.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Good Morning....As for the tree stumps in the front yard, I would say yes, have them removed. As it was stated in another answer to your question, if is going to be part of the first impression people get when they drive up to your home. Right now the buyers we are seeing, want everything move in ready, unless they are getting a real bargain. The less they have to do themselves, the more they like it.

Pricing is also a big factor in houw your home compares with others on the market, and take into consideration how soon you want to sell your home. Do you have time to wait for the right offer, or do you want to get an offer right away?

When selling your home there are many factors to consider, and I agree, before you start to do any work to it, speak to a Realtor that you want to partner with to get your home sold. Sit down, discuss what your goal is and the best marketing plan to acheive that.

I would love to have the opportunity to help you with this home sale. Feel free to contact me at anytime!
Web Reference: http://www.kathy-dawson.com
Well, Click, the answer is "It all depends". Houses that show well tend present fewer objections to buyers looking for aesthetics. Curb appeal is the "First Impression" of the house from an external perspective. Curb appeal is important in attracting buyers to come in and take a further look. I would suggest that you discuss this with a Realtor who has both the professional real estate credentials AND who is an Accredited Staging Professional (ASP). Of course, things are also contingent on your finances and current market conditions.
Hi Click,

It is hard to give you an answer to this question. You really need a realtor to come see your home and do a market analysis. If other homes in your neighborhood are updated, then since they are your competition, you would either need to update or price the home to reflect the need for updates. In some cases, it does not make sense to put a lot of money into the home and in other cases it does. If I can assist with the process further, please let me know! Good luck to you.

Lisa Devnew