gertie, Home Seller in 53714

Selling my house. Should I replace my broken washer or fix it? Buy a new cheap set, or a decent one?

Asked by gertie, 53714 Fri Apr 8, 2011

Hi!

A few days ago my washer died - probably a broken belt or burnt out motor. I am putting my house on the market very soon, and am trying to decide what to do.

Also, the basement section of my house is partially unfinished, - I have some plans to make it a bit more "friendly" but the laundry area needs a little help.

Right now I'm leaning towards buying a new set, since the current ones are a little tired-looking anyway. The question is, do I buy an inexpensive set (there is a promo at Home Depot for a $500 set), or buy a better set ($1,000ish)?

I don't want to stick future owners with crappy appliances, and I also don't want them assuming I skimped in other areas based on a cheap washer/dryer. I have really tried to be conscientious about the changes I make, trying to be budget conscious but also keeping quality in mind. (I'm not the "hide it under the rug" sort of person.) In the end I want to feel good about the decision.

Just looking for some input here. Thanks!

Answers

16
Hi Gertie,

I am happy to hear you are not the "hide it under the rug" sort of person. In the Madison area buyers are very educated. They do the research and look at all aspects of the overall breakdown of what goes into the price of a home. Appliances being one of them. The homes that are currently selling on the market are houses that have had the repairs done, code violations resolved, appliances upgraded, floors sparkle and kitchens and baths are updated. Regardless of the price range, the buyers expect homes to look wonderful. Couples do not have time for fixer-uppers....they don't want the headaches of redoing a kitchen, replacing tile or adding wood. This is not to say that you have to put the most expensive brand name appliance in your home, but instead, choose a product that feels and looks appropriate for the space. Very rarely do you see homes in the Madison area sell without the appliances or a washer and dryer.....new construction is a different application and in those cases you do see homes without the appliances. So purchase something that you would be happy to use should you be a buyer.

In regards to the lower level.....finished square footage impacts your price per square foot and is analyzed by all buyers/sellers and agents. If you can finish the space at a reasonable cost while at the same time selling your home for a higher value because you now have more square footage it is a go. But you should have someone look at your application and give you a second opinion. 1st and foremost do not list your home until it is in showing condition and staged for buyers. The inventory is very high and you will only succeed in selling your home if you start out with the WoW factor.

All my best,

Donna Birschbach - The Birschbach Team
Keller Williams - Madison - 2009/2010 #1 Sales Volume
Birsch@chorus.net
Hi, your best bet is to get rid of it and make sure the listing states that a washer isn't included. This way you don't waste money on a washer that the new owner may not like and get rid of anyway. If it comes up where the prospective buyer is a stickler and wants a washer to continue a negotiation you can discuss some sort of credit. The other important question is will you be okay going to the laundomat for as long as it takes to sell the home? :o)

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 9, 2011
You can get rid of it and make sure that your listing states that a washer is not included.
Happy to hear you are concerned about passing on quality. I would agree that you should purchase the $1000 set. Most buyers would frown at a repaired old unit, but if you replace the washer and drying and do some work to your lower level and laundry room prior to listing the house, you will have more impressed buyers.

Right now most buyers are looking for homes that are well maintained......a home that needs work yet is still similarly priced in the neighborhood has a less likely chance of selling. This is a buyer's market and sellers have to take the extra step to display their motivation to sell.

I always tell my sellers to do the right thing - remember you will be on the buying side again someday.

Donna Birschbach - The Birschbach Team

Keller Williams - 608-444-4194
Hi Gertie,
I saw your response that mentions that you live there and taking them with you isn't an option...
So the question is, do you need to have a washer to make you happy while you remain living there? If so, I would buy a used one or inexpensive new one that closely matches your dryer (on Craig's List or wherever).
Most buyers who need a washer/dryer do not care if they are older or even match... obviously they can be excited if they are new, but in my experience a washer & dryer has never been a deal-breaker.
Some buyers will have their own to bring along, some are grossed out by other people's dirty laundry and will buy new.

Shawn
Gertie,

Don't rule out purchasing a "used" or "scratched & dented" one that can be purchased for significantly less. How do you know the new buyer won't bring their own appliances with them and disguard yours?

Our recommendation, don't try to fit the washer under the rug(it won't fit) but make a decision that fits your budget and gives you peace of mind.

I don't think it's a big deal if you don't have a washer & dryer. You can probably better spend $500-$1000 elsewhere in your home to get it in better showing condition. The best route is probably to get used washer & dryer for $200-$300 like people have suggested, then spend $500 or whatever to get the house in showing condition.
I don't think you have to buy top of the line. I think you have to replace your existing machines. Buyers don't really look at the manufacturer they look more at the age of appliances. I would replace them. I wouldn't get myself worked up about which kind just that they are new. Buyers will be happy with that.
Web Reference: http://www.kraushouses.com
http://www.andy.restainohomes.com. madisonian. 20 yrs. full service Realtor.
If you're not taking the original appliances with you, then whoever pays for the new washer/dryer will likely also be charged a fee for removing and recycling the old ones by the company who installs the new washer. Just a thought.
Gertie, It depends on the price of your home. If you are in the first time home buyer range- then you will need to buy a washer and dryer for $500. I have found that they do not have enough money to buy a washer and dryer. Spend more money on the washer so you the new buyer can save money on water/sewer. If you have a "move- up" home then a in nice washer and dryer will not get you more money, but may be the 'key" to your sale.
Web Reference: http://www.beckyknows.com
Okay, I don't see a place to edit my original question, so I am adding an "answer"!

I will be moving to an apartment, and will almost definitely not be taking the appliances with me.
Also, I live there. Removing them and having an empty laundry room isn't really an option. :-P
Gertie,

The washer and dryer will not sell your house however, if the look of your home and its appliances has an overall uniform feel to it, then it might be more appealing to perspective buyers. You can just get rid of the set and sell without a washer and dryer to improve the look of your basement. If you wish to replace the items, try to keep the style the same as your kitchen. If you kitchen is all new, then buy new similar quality W&D otherwise a good used set will be fine.

CA DRE 08144627
I like Andrew's suggestion. Buy something decent that's used. Craigslist is a great resource.
Washer and dryer's are usually included in the sale IF they are older. If they are new or slightly used, the are not included and can be used as a negotiating piece with the sale. I would buy a used appliance from Kirch appliance for 200-300 and include both when you sell.
Washer, dryer, and refrigerator are considered personal property and not necessarily conveyed with the house (unless they are negotiated for). It's really up to you. If it were me, I would not spend money on new appliances. What if buyers have their own, and don't want yours? Just say washer & dryer are excluded. (but then you'll have to haul them away when you move). good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.sallygrenier.com
i have an old wedgewood stove, needs to be rechromed on the griddle, and the one side is only storage, so cooking is very small in oven, its amazing how i made it all these years.... i am getting the house ready to sell and am upgrading appliaces, but so torn. am i doing the right think upgrading the stove?
Flag Fri Apr 10, 2015