whiteeagle358, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

Selling in Winston Downs (Washington Virginia Vale)

Asked by whiteeagle358, Denver, CO Thu Nov 8, 2012

We're planning to sell our home within about a year. In our neighborhood, houses are usually sold within 2-3 days on the market, then they are immediately remodeled. Our house was built in 1964 and has the original aluminum sliding windows. I estimate the cost to replace the windows to be about $12,000. Would we gain this money back if we have the windows replaced before we sell, or should we leave it for the buyer? Thank you!

Answers

13
Martine Addison’s answer
The main question is whether other homes that are selling in 2-3 days have these same windows. If they do, I would not change out your windows. If they have been changed out and you are expecting the same price for your property, then you might consider replacement. Many people who remodel homes want to focus on the interior upgrades like kitchen/baths and appreciate that they don't also have to spend $12K on new windows.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 8, 2012
Hi, I had emailed earlier - and just wanted to follow up. As you mentioned homes in this area go quite quickly! I still have a buyer that is looking to purchase this year. Is there anyway I could get a sneak peek at your place and see if it would be a good fit? If we sell it prior to going on the market it could be a win/win situation. We could meet for coffee first to discuss. I am available this week to meet for coffee if you would like. Oh and to answer you question, I would run an analysis to value of your property prior to putting any major investment ($12K windows) - you dont want want to make an upgrade that will not sell your house . . . Julie

Julie Bloch Burton - Broker Associate, Realtor®
Brixton Real Estate - http://brixtonassociates.com/
Cell Phone: 970.396.7435 | Fax: 720-306-2397
email: julieb@Brixtonmail.com
Hi! Let me know if we can meet. I have a buyer that is looking in this particular area and hoping to purchase sometime after February 2013. I would love to see the home; maybe we can get it sold without even having to put it on the market. If that did not work out, I would love to help you list your home. I could preview the property to give you my opinion on price. Let me know if you would like to meet to discuss, I am available next week and we could meet for coffee. Thanks Julie

email: julieb@Brixtonmail.com
Hi Julie - Thank you for the reply! We're really hoping to sell before February, but right now we're de-cluttering and working on getting pre-approval for a loan for whatever house we decide to move into. I'll keep your information for future reference. Thanks again!
Flag Thu Nov 15, 2012
I specialize in this area and yes you are right people buy and do quite a bit of renovating. Since the homes in this area sell so quickly, location, lot size and condition are at the top of the list for most buyers. I would say it really depends on how much of the rest of the home is remodeled. If the windows are the only things left then it may be good to do, but again a lot of factors have to be included. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions about preparing for your home sell.

Thank You,

Shana Stokes
Broker Associate
Your Castle Real Estate
720-839-1370
sstokes@yourcastle.org http://www.yourcastle.org
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 11, 2012
Thank you for all the replies - I appreciate every one! Even though we're not planning to remodel, we have some major de-cluttering to do; however, we will be definitely be looking for an agent in the near future. I've bookmarked this page so I won't lose track of you all. Thanks again!
Hi - if you believe the new buyer will renovate your house, then it is a sale based upon Location, Lot and House size. Investing in windows will not improve your return. Did you read today's Denver Post? There is a real lack of inventory and the market is HOT right NOW. Give me a call to discuss the advantages of selling your house now versus a year from now. http://www.BoulderRealEstateNews.com
In most older homes and neighborhoods, including Virginia Vale, I would suggest taking a close look at age and condition of exterior siding, roof and windows, as well as the furnace and water heater. Unless you plan to sell your home at a discounted price to an investor, I would seriously consider investments to improve those areas.

Remember there is virtually no investment that returns 100%. I did a blog on this, called "Is It Worth It To Remodel? What’s My Return On Investment?", which you may review below.

More and more Buyers are looking for "green" or energy improvements. I, too, would suggest you replace the windows now, so that you may enjoy the energy savings prior to selling your home. Get multiple bids.

Please let me know if you have additional questions. I'm happy to help!

Jean Stevens, Broker/Owner
The Stevens Group
303-919-9994 http://www.ColoradoLiving365.com
I grew up in Winston Downs too and really love the neighborhood!
I would suggest that you consult with a Realtor (as suggested below) and get their expert opinion on your home, what needs to be done to get max $ at sale, what the value would be if you decide NOT to do those repairs and upgrades, so that you might make an informed decision about what does and does not make sense.
Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy the neighborhood before you decide to move.
Chuck Strauss
Your Castle Real Estate
720-318-7598
denverhomeguru@gmail.com
Good Morning,

I grew up in Winston Downs and still live there, which is why I sell many homes in our neighborhood. I just sold one on 743 S. Oneida in less than a week! (maybe you saw the sign) Anyway, I would love to talk to you about what works and what needs to be done. The other comments are very helpful too. Once in a while, these homes are bought to do remodeling and then resold, (like the home on Exposition and one on Virginia) yet I find mostly people want to stay and live in them. (like the one on Pontiac) It is getting more popular due to the Green School success.

I would be happy to come by and give you my expert opinion as to what I think you will need to do to sell your home. Give me a call and let's meet!

Have a wonderful day,
Wendy Glazer

Kentwood Company
303 906 9000
bdglaz@aol.com
http://www.wendyglazer.com
The answer to this question depend on many factors. In my experience, the buyers do care about windows about 50% of the time. If the house is reasonably priced and has a lot of features the buyers are looking for, they will accept the fact that they would have to replace the windows down the road. If you want to net top dollar for the house and everything else is completely remodeled, old windows will be a turn off for the buyers. It would be best to invite a realtor to take a look and make a recommendation. I will be happy to stop by at your convenience.

Marina Bay
Cherry Creek Properties
303-880-6167
If the rest of your house is remodeled but you still have the original windows, then it makes sense to replace the windows because this will help you sell your house faster and for more money. You should get bids from more than one window contractor because you will get a wide range of prices. And try to do it now so you have the benefit of this winter and possibly the next one. If the entire house needs updating, then price it accordingly and don't update the windows. Good luck!

Nina Kuhl
Cherry Creek Properties LLC
303-913-5858
Web Reference: http://www.kuhlnina.com
Whiteagle358,

Good question. Homes in Winston Downs are classic Denver homes ripe for remodeling or fix and flips. There are two ways to sell these homes. One is to get them as clean and uncluttered as possible and sell it as is. The other is to remodel the kitchen, baths and flooring as well as paint. It is probably better to do all or to do nothing. Someone doing a remodel will build into their price the cost of windows along with any other repairs needed. I would not suggest replacing the windows unless that is all the home needs to make it marketable at the best price. I will be glad to come by for a consultation and do bring a Comparative Market Analysis for your review. We are here to assist you with all of your real estate needs.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
That is a great neighborhood! If the aluminum siding is in good shape that paints up real well. Unfortunately the answer to your question goes deeper than do we replace windows and get all of that money back. It also depends on the rest of the condition of the home like the roof, floors, paint, appliances, etc. My initial feeling is have a REALTOR produce a free market analysis before doing any work and get a full evaluation of the home before doing anything like windows so you can get your hands around the whole project. This way you can make an informed decision. Just installing new windows doesn't mean you will get 100% of that investment back in my opinion. Feel free to let me know if I can help.