Home Selling in Coppell>Question Details

Meg, Home Seller in Coppell, TX

Selling house ‘12, don't want buyers going thru my home until I move out (June/July) Anything I should be doing now to help a quick sell once

Asked by Meg, Coppell, TX Mon Feb 6, 2012

I move?

Answers

7
Meg,

Best of luck on your sale and move! There are several things that you can do to increase the odds of selling for a fair price in a short amount of time. It’s all about the preparation!

1. Have your home inspected by a licensed home inspector. Find out what the problems are with it that another inspector would find, and get those items repaired.
2. Have all those "honey-dos" done as you move towards June that you have been putting off. Paint, carpets cleaned. Sheetrock repairs, new light fixtures, new ceiling fans (where the blades aren’t drooping) clean all of the wire mesh on each faucet to let the water flow better. Have the a/c serviced and be able to provide the receipts for all the work that you had completed including the repairs that the inspector noted as items that needed to be fixed.
3. Have a professional photographer come take pictures with your furniture in it - you may want your agent come help you stage to let it show the best....this will help future buyers see how the home could look.
4. When you do move out, have it professionally cleaned. Have them clean every window, steam clean the carpets, sand and refinish any hardwood floors if you have them
5. Have the outside of your home power washed. Driveway, patio, etc.
6. Have those flower beds mulched and tune up the landscaping. Add color where you can.

And at the very end....go with your agent and shop the competition. Preview all the homes in your immediate area that a reasonable buyer would look at if they would be considering your home. And make sure to price your home accordingly. The worst thing you can do is overprice your home. Sellers think they should be at the very top of the market and buyers think they should buy at the bottom of the comps...the real number generally lies somewhere in between.

Your agent can help you determine where you should price it to sell it.

If you liked my answer, please give me the "Thumbs Up" and reward me by designating me as the "Best Answer"!
Thanks!

Respectfully,

Chris Schilling, ABR, GRI, CRS, GREEN
Real Estate Broker
Turbo Realty
Web Reference: http://www.turborealty.com
For Clairity I would like to know if you are trying to put the house on the market for sale now? Or if you are looking to put it on the market later.
Option 1. For now if you want to sell depending on your situation I have buyers lined up that can make an reasonable offer on and purchase your home now with minimal access to your house outside of inspection based upon the details of your selling situation. We would have to talk to discuss the details.

2. If you are looking to sell in the summer but want to prepare the house for Agent assisted showings I would suggest doing the following: Intervieiwing agents, plan to stage the home, identify any major defects and repair them and focus on cosmetic look and feel especially in Kitchen and bathrooms.

If you haven't decided on an agent to work with contact me if you are interested in getting assitance.

Chris Hutchinson
REALTOR
Chris Hutchinson Real Estate
The Michael Group
972.809.0607
http://www.chrishutchinsonrealestate.com
Most homes show better with some furniture, follow the advice of your Realtor, good luck,
Hi, Pricing and proper marketing are imperative. Nothing is guaranteed though, the condition, location, and underlying economy in your area will also play a big part in the sale of your home. Hopefully there aren't a large n umber of competing homes in your area at that time.

Chris
Makes it kind of tough to sell your house NOW if you don't want buyers coming through and you won't be out until the summer. Whose going to make an offer on something they can't physically see?
Hi Meg,

Most of it would be best to do as soon as you move out just in case it gets dirty or damaged during the move.

Depending on how motivated you are to sell, you could consider upgrading counter tops or appliances or fixtures to give the home a newer feel. This is the NUMBER ONE complaint that I hear from buyers day in and day out in this market. People want a home that is well updated.

Once you move out take note of the following items:
Fresh coat of paint - inside and out. Make sure to pick a neutral color.
If you have any wall paper, remove it and repaint that area when you paint the rest of the home.
Start takig down picutes and other wall decorations and patch the holes (you can do this now if you want).
If you have wood floors, consider getting them restained to give them a fresh look.
For any tile surfaces (floors, bathrooms, etc) clean them with a good quality cleaner and clean the grout really well.
Carpets - replace them if they are worn at all or at a very minimum get a professional quality steam clean and shampoo going on them.

The other thing that you should absolutely be doing is watching what is going on in the market in your neighborhood. This will give you an idea of the trends going on in the current real estate market and what homes are for sale and have sold in your neighborhood. The easiest way to do this is to sign up for my Market Snapshot: http://brianrayl.com/whats-my-north-dallas-home-worth/ (This works anywhere in the Dallas Fort worth Metroplex).

Best of luck to you and if you need an agent to represent your home this summer, please don't hesitate to give me a call.

Brian Rayl
Keller Williams Elite
972-949-4222
Brian@Rayl-Estate.com
http://BrianRayl.com
Get it as presentable as you can. Paint, paper and picking up pays off. If you can leave some furnishings, it will help to "stage" the home, making it easier for folks to imagine living there. Open the curtains, let in light. Plug in some scented de-odorizers.