Tish, Home Seller in 37040

Selling home and wrong price history is posted for our property, making homebuyers think we paid $14000 less than we did.

Asked by Tish, 37040 Fri Jun 4, 2010

we paid $207,500 for home in July 2004 but is not posted on Trulia , Trulia public record shows $193,000 paid in 1999 by the previous owner, how can I get Trulia to update

Answers

6
@Dean House,

We are probably going to agree to disagree on this but:

If buyer and seller agree that your fictional house is worth $350K and the sale closes for $350K then your appraisal of $300K is wrong. It is buyers and sellers, mostly buyers, who determine what a house is worth. Banks determine what they are willing to lend. Appraisers do their best to put a value on a house, but they are not always correct.
I dont think you need to worry about what Trulia says. I think most People in the business are using this site for marketing and not to pull public records. Any buyers agent will get the correct data from the public records.
A pet peeve of mine, someone stated that your house is worth what you and a buyer decide its worth.
I dont agree with that. What if you and a buyer decide your house is worth 350k, but the bank think its worth 300k. They will only lend on 300k. So whats it truly worth?
Educated buyers won't care what you (or others) paid for your property; they'll care about the comps and appraisal.
In my non-technical opinion, it appears there may have been a glitch in the system when Trulia or their assigned outsourcing party pulled the information from public records. The file may not have been scanned and posted completely. I am guessing your concern is what will consumers think your "actual" equity is? Right? A strong knowledgeable buyer's agent will review the tax records and the history of the property and communicate her findings to the client(s). Lenders and appraisers will NOT rely on what's posted by Trulia when deciding market and appraised value.
Best wishes with the marketing, selling and closing of your property. Hopefully, you were not negatively impacted by the recent flood in our area.
Be Blessed!
What you paid for your property in 2004 has no bearing on it's market value today--if you are listed with an agent, ask him/her to post new information.
Tish,

What someone paid for a house in the past, whether you or another buyer, is not relevant to what the house is worth now. The house is now worth whatever you and a buyer agree that it is worth.

You should be working with a REALTOR®. Part of your REALTOR®’s job is providing you with a Comparative Market Analysis that will give you information to determine the current level at which your house should be reasonable priced.

What you paid for your house is past history. What it is worth today is current reality.

Good luck in your effort to sell your house.