Home Selling in Milwaukee>Question Details

Michael Shep…, Home Buyer in Milwaukee, WI

Selling for sale by owner

Asked by Michael Shepard, Milwaukee, WI Mon Jul 29, 2013

What site is the best site to list your house for sale by owner on where it is also on mls in the Milwaukee Wisconsin area?

Answers

4
Michael,

Thanks for your question. In order to be on MLS, you would need your home to be listed by an MLS listed Broker. There are limited service company's that for a fee will list your home on MLS. However, when you are listed on MLS, you are agreeing to offer compensation to a broker who finds the buyer. Going on your own, Trulia and Zillow seem to be the best for for sale by owner.

Keep in mind, just being on MLS, in my experience, isn't all you need to get your home sold. There isn't an agent pushing your property, taking nice photos, updating them, asking buyers and agents to show it and make an offer. And more importantly, when you do get an offer, there isn't an agent with experience in negotiating and knowing market comps to help you. In a for sale by owner there isn't an agent to help you get through the inspection with their expertise and guidance or to get you to close with title and issues that come up, and they always come up.

Also you will find a lot of MLS listed agents and brokers don't want to show their buyers FSBOs because they end up doing twice the work and getting paid for less than half.
Hope this helps. If you find that FSBO isn't what you hoped, give me a call, I have 10 years experience and 100's of closed transactions.
Julie Luettgen
Bay View Homes
Not going to happen on this website!
Hi Michael
Check out my fsbo tips. I have a network of really good agents if you need a free referral. Best Wishes, Gerry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAOVoR7LFvY&sns=em
Michael,

Julie is correct. MLS is not a public site. There are for sale by owner sites and I'm sure if you Google it, you will find them. Be sure to do your homework and compare companies. There are some agents and companies that will list your home on MLS for a flat fee as Julie state, but make sure you ask what if anything that includes.

The most important part of selling a home is staging it properly, pricing it right (according to the comps in your area) and negotiating the sale. Although there are some home owners that successfully sell on their own, it is not the majority by any means and the negotiations that are often required take experience and knowledge.

If you do decide to go forward:

1. Do a pre-inspection from a Wisconsin Licensed Home Inspector. This way you will avoid the buyer trying to wittle down the price after the inspection and after you have already agreed on a price.
2. Hire an experienced home stager.
3. Declutter and clean, clean, clean.
4. Fix the annoying little things like squeeky doors, leaky faucets, doors that don't fit properly and so on.
5. Make sure that you trust the people coming into your home. Ask them if they have a pre-approval.
6. Keep your phone on you at all times because you never know when that one buyer is going to schedule an appointment. If you have an open house, make sure that you put your valuables in a safe locked place.
7. Make sure you have great curb appeal. First impressions are very important. Cut the grass and trim the bushes. Water the flowers and pull the weeds. Sand, repair and paint any peeling paint. FHA is very strict about that.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to call me.

Good luck with the sale of your home.