Della, Home Seller in 19401

Selling Norristown Home: Strip it bare or leave the features?

Asked by Della, 19401 Wed Feb 16, 2011

We are looking to sell our Norristown single home (by Hancock Elementary) in the very near future. It is the largest property (and only single) on the block. We plan on putting a new roof on and doing a mini kitchen remodel w/ custom cabinetry. My question is this: We are very fortunate in the fact that all of the original period details are still in tact. There are 11 stained glass windows and a pair of leaded glass French doors and transoms. Most of the glass door knobs and brass hardware are still on the doors. Half of the people we speak to say that we should strip the house of the windows and hardware prior to selling and the other half say to leave it all in. The windows and doors have been appraised in excess of $45,000. People are very divided on this issue. We of course just want the house to sell as quickly as possible and make a profit.

What are your thoughts?

Answers

6
Eric Rehling’s answer
Sounds like a beautiful home, from the information you have provided, I would weigh in to say leave it as is. If everything is in good shape and looks sharp, there is usually no need for change. If you want to snap a few pictures or send over a quick video, that would help me, but as I said, based on what you're saying, I think you're good to go. Good luck!
I value your responses very much as we've struggled w/ this for a few years. We aren't looking to price the house higher because of it's features (we do think they are a major bonus) but I guess we fear taking a huge financial hit in this market. We've repaired and restored a few of the windows after moving in and restored the upstairs back to it's original footprint.

We are also pleased enough w/ the district to remain here for a few more years if we have to. Of course we always dream of a buyer who will be as stoked about the original features as we were and still are. After reading your responses I'm able to breathe a sigh of relief.
Della,

Leave them. When people walk through your home and your Agent points out these wonderful features, they'll make for great selling points. From what you've described, it sounds like potential buyers will not just be buying a home, they'll be buying history. That is a HUGE selling point for many buyers. Personally, there is nothing cooler than an updated and modern home, with a classical and historical touch and original features.

By the way, if you do decide to remove these items and remodel, if you haven't done so yet, make sure your house isn't located in some "historical district" that might have some guidelines on what you can add or remove.

Goodluck!

Marcin Talaga

Conlon: A Real Estate Company
Hello Della,

This is a great question. As I would expect the responses to be split 50/50 right down the middle. I personally would leave everything as is. They just don't build them like they used to. What you have is rare and the right Buyer will pay for it. Speaking of the right Buyer no one know Norristown better than my office. We have been one of the leading real estate companies in the borough for over 35 years. I would love an opportunity to speak with you about the marketing of your property and show you why we are so successful at finding Buyers for homes in Norristown. You can reach me directly at 610-994-1147. I am looking forward to speaking with you in the near future.

Gregory S. Parker, ABR, CRS, GRI, GREEN

Coldwell Banker Realty Professionals

2924 Swede Road

East Norriton, PA 19401

Direct 610-994-1147

Office 610-277-5000 Ext. 249

Fax 610-994-1146
http://www.PhillyAreaHomeHunter.com
Good Morning Della,

I know Norristown very well as that is where I grew up and many of my relatives are still there. There are so many homes on the market in Norristown and much competition. If you want to sell the house as quickly as possible and make a profit as you stated I would leave those items in the house. You will need an edge over the other competition and that very well may give it to you. When remodeling the kitchen try to build off of those features that your home has. Many buyers love the character of the older homes and you will be able to provide that them. Make sure that these features are a large part of the marketing as it will make more buyers interested in your home.

Some other quick tips for you to make sure your home shines above others;

Complete all repairs that are needed. (It seems you are taking care of this)

Make sure your home is cleaned top to bottom including the inside and outside of windos.

Create a focal point for the front door area. Remember the first impression someone has of your home is the outside. Perhaps add large colored pots to frame the door and put an evergreen in them.

Become a minimalist! Be sure that that the house is clear of clutter and arrange furniture so that the rooms appear large.

If you need a recommendation for a contractor contact Rick Wilde Contracting at 610-842-3796. He does excellent work and at a reasonable price. He is also present on all the jobs completing the work. I don't know if you have a Realtor in mind to list your home but make sure you have a Realtor who is familiar with your neighborhood and a Realtor who will be honest with you about the market value of the house and provides you proof with comparables to back up the price they suggest. While its a wonderful feeling to believe you can get more for your house than you really can, it does you no good and just waste time. The first 3 weeks on the market is still a critical time for listings even though it takes longer to get them under contract these days. If it is overpriced it will not sell.

I'd be happy to look at the home for you and provide a comparable market anaylsis and to go over some itesm that may help you sell your home quicker.

Have a great day and good luck with the sale. Remember we seem to be entering an early Spring Market and homes are starting to sell. The end of February would be a good time to get started and listed.

Jennifer Daywalt, Realtor
RE/MAX Results Realty
Properties boasting architectural elements (in good condition) within the borough are in the minority. These features, in addition to the minor facelift, will only enhance your listing, but may not directly pad your bottom line dollar-for-dollar. A buyer looking in Norristown may value the "traditional" appeal, but they also have brand new rehabs and new construction to consider as options, which may not have the charm but better efficiencies. My advice: present the best product to the market and price it so the buyer can see value... they'll pay. Good luck! Spring is just around the corner.