Home Selling in Chicago>Question Details

Joseph Marti…, Real Estate Pro in Chicago, IL

Selling/Marketing a Condominium with an association that does not allow signs. - What other ways can we market this property?

Asked by Joseph Martinez III, Chicago, IL Thu Jun 28, 2012

Hello, we've been sitting on a few condominiums that have been getting little traffic. I believe this is because of the lack of marketing. Can anyone throw some ideas out there in regards to how to market a condominium that does not allow signs in the windows, fliers on the gate, or signs on the lawn?

Much appreciated!

Answers

13
I see your mom is a broker so I have to assume the condos are being listed in the local mls system. Are they also listed on the online sites like here, zillow, realtor.com, etc? If so you have done what you can. If Realtors are not showing them to buyers then I would wonder why, since we don't react to signs and marketing but depend on the mls system to show us what is available in certain areas and price ranges to show our buyers. Why aren't agents showing them? Price? Location? Condition? HOA fees too high? Perhaps you need to have a broker open house and invite other agents to come see them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 28, 2012
Buyers rarely find condos by driving around looking at signs or reading flyers on a gate. They look on the Internet and/or have a R E agent. Listings are put on perhaps 50+ web sites that display R E listings. Look at all the high rise buildings in the downtown area none of which allow signs. Who cares? They still sell. If you are not getting showings and you have an agent first check to be sure it is on the most common web sites like realtor.com/trulia/zillow/CL and if so then the problem probably is price and/or lack of buyers in that area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 28, 2012
Today's buyer turns to the internet before making any purchase, so lack of signage shouldn't be a factor for you.

Make certain you have fantastic pictures, quality video and that you are properly marketing the property to all the various channels that a potential buyer would look to.
The unit needs to look the best online in that price range. So either lower the price or stage the unit and take great high quality photos to show it off. Maybe even do a virtual tour. However, it sounds like pictures or the price may be the issue. Good luck!
Hi Joseph,

I would make sure your listing is on the internet, have great pictures taken. Most clients view the pictures online before they decide to see the unit in person.

Not having a sign should not be an issue. Most of the buildings in my area do not allow signs.

Ivan Sagel
312-515-7823
I recommend talking to Mr. Chicken. He is considered to be a Chicago marketing genius. You can normally find him in an oversized chicken outfit advertising "We Buy Gold" or "Compra Oro". He was last seen on Ashland Avenue, just south of Chicago.

I would also consider renting an event spotlight, the kind used in Hollywood. This would be an evening marketing strategy for times when the chicken is not highly productive. Make sure the spotlight is aimed directly over the building but not on it, so the Condo board should not have jurisdiction, and then make sure you have a good stencil to stick on the light. Keep it simple. Don't list all the upgrades. A driver only has a second or two.

This 1-2 combo will bring the traffic you desire.
The sign alone is really not going to do it....
Just send out mailings to the immediate neighborhood, I often posted pretty fliers in nearby
coffee shops, Jewels, 7 eleven etc. where there are local message boards available.... but
mostly I still think having the properties all over the internet where they will be found by the
buying public and of course the MLS for the REaltors.....

Most Buyers in my experience do come with a Realtor to view condos!!!

So just go the internet route and feel free to promote them to the Real Estate Community
in your area with direct e-mail fliers.

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Why are you putting so much emphasis on a sign?

How to market the condo?

The same way you market anything else!
MLS..........and get it all over the internet?

Do mailings.............invite agents to take a look if broker open houses are done in your area...........

Many, if not most, of the condo complexes in my area prohibit signs..............and some highrise buidlings don't allow open houses, either...so.....you do the best you can with what you have to work with!

Best wishes..
Open Houses, Craigslist, Postlets, Send Mailers to the entire neighborhood
Are you a realtor? I currently have a condo listing that has good exposure because it is on the MLS, Realtor.com and Trulia. I am also not allowed to put a sign anywhere on the building. If you are not a realtor I recomend you get one. J. Hollyfield-Williams, Managing Broker, All Property Realty
Little traffic. That can be a problem, if we actually know what little was.
How many comparable condos are for sale?
How many comparable condos sell each month?
How many of the available condos do the think those buyers actually looked at?
Be aware, most real estate is previewed on line. If your on-line fact sheet views exceed your target threshold, the buyer is rejecting these properties.
Based on these numbers, is your number of showings equal to, less than or greater than area sales and community sales.

You may be getting all the business there is.
Pay the dollars needed to get on the community bulletin board and newsletter.

Of course, if you don't want to do the research...lower the price! As others have pointed out, the MLS is the common denominator. Price is the attention grabber.
I never sold a place from a sign in my career. Use the power of the internet. I believe signs and print advertising is what I call 80s advertising.
The lack of sign is not the problem. As others already pointed out, make sure you have complete coverage on the internet. One of the best way to attract buyers online is providing high quality photographs and a great video. Without this, you will not have much of a chance to sell. Let me know if you need any recommendations.