Carl Holman, Both Buyer and Seller in Allen, TX

Seller Agent Only?

Asked by Carl Holman, Allen, TX Sun May 4, 2014

I have found a home to purchase in McKinney. I am selling my home in Allen, walking distance to Mary Evans Elementary. The Builder is giving me what appears to be a pretty good deal, what are some advantages/disadvantages to not having a Realtor on the Buying side? Seems like 20K to sell a home in Realtor fees is pretty steep considering these houses are practically selling themselves.

Answers

11
For the purchase of your new home, being represented by a Realtor is most definitely the wisest decision you can make. We are here to protect YOU!
As far as selling your home, a good Realtor will have market knowledge and experience to market and sell your home for TOP dollar. Handling all the offers you will receive and ensuring you are protected till closing can be well worth the commission paid.
Great Answer, Phillip!
Flag Sat Jun 14, 2014
Remember, in addition to what my colleagues have mentioned, the sales reps in the model homes represent the interest of only one party, which is the builder, so when things go wrong, who is on your side? Answer: Your REALTOR if you have one!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 4, 2014
Carl

Having an agent represent you in a new build purchase is the best option. A real estate agent will not only negotiate with the builders rep but will represent you through the entire process if any issues were to come about during the build. I built 3 homes before I became an agent believing things would go smoothly and issues did arise that I wish I had representation. One thing to expect once you sign and start the build most likely you will be turned over to the contractor in charge of your new home. Sometimes no matter how nice the builders rep is there are still other people during the build process that can throw a kink in the process. Sometimes there can be conflict or it can run smoothly.

Let me know if you would like any help with this process.

Michael Terwege
469-855-3605
JP & Associates REALTORS
http://www.terwegerealty.com
Always use REALTOR representation when buying a brand new home, because the builder's sales rep does not represent you, and your best interests my not coincide with the builder's best interest.
you as the buyer DO NOT need to pay any commission tot he Realtor - The seller pays all of the commissions and the builder isn't going to discount the price of the house because he doesn't have to pay your Realtor. A Buyer's Agent will Only look out for your best interest, and make sure it's a Win/Win deal all they way through closing, walk-thrus, protection of your deposit/earnest money, assist with inspections you SHOULD have your own inspection when construction is complete.
While the Realtor can read the builders contracts and advise you about what is in them, the builder WILL NOT change the wording in the contract to suit you. They will negotiate price and terms but everything else in their contract is designed to protect them. They RARELY will agree to mediation to resolve any issues that arise because they already pay lawyers and they know that the majority of buyers don't.
I often offer a rebate of my commission back to my new construction buyers at closing, The builder won't do that.!!

Let me know if I can assist.
The disadvantage is that you have no one on your side, representing your interests. You are not paying the agent, so why would you not want representation. I recently negotiated a great deal with a builder for my clients including appliances, plantation shutters, great price, etc. Would you go to court without an attorney? It is that simple.
On the buying side you don't pay any commissions to the Realtor. The seller pays all of the commissions and the builder isn't going to discount the price of the house because he doesn't have to pay your Realtor (That would show up in the sold price of the comps and they wouldn't be able to justify the higher selling prices.); You have someone that constantly works with real estate contracts advising you; You have someone that should know what builders will include in the offer price and what they likely will not include. We recently got thousands of dollars in upgrades to a new build that an unrepresented buyer would not have even know to ask for.

While the Realtor can read the builders contracts and advise you about what is in them, the builder WILL NOT change the wording in the contract to suit you. They will negotiate price and terms but everything else in their contract is designed to protect them. They seldom will agree to mediation to resolve any issues that arise because they already pay lawyers and they know that the majority of buyers don't. They will not tie themselves down to a reasonable closing date but will "under promise and over deliver" which is usually great unless you are trying to time the sale of your existing home so that you only have to move once. All of the terms in the contract are weighted toward the builder and the person in the sales office is paid by the builder. Unless you have a competent Realtor representing you you typically don't get the best deal.

On the selling side, If you need help doing a Market Analysis to justify your price or if you need any advice on marketing your property, I'll be happy to help. If you decide to list your property with an agent I would like the opportunity to visit with you about that also but if you are going to market it yourself I have some tools that you may find helpful.

Feel free to check us out and let us know what we can do to help,

Scott & Amie Johnson
FireBoss Realty
469-269-0911

http://www.FireBossRealty.com
http://www.NortheastDFWHomes.com - Property Search Site
http://www.FireBossRealtyAroundTown.com - Blog
http://www.northeastdfwhomes.com/cp/mobile-app/ - FREE Mobile App
Web Reference: http://FireBossRealty.com
It is all subjective and I am sure you already no what your going to do anyway.
I forgot to mention that I actually live in Allen and my child used to go to Mary Evans but now is in Ereckson. I'm just guessing here, but your name sounds familiar, and I may have met your family and actually been to your home helping PTA!

Susie Kay, RealtorĀ®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
Hi Carl,

You may think that the realtor fee is high when selling a home but there are a lot more into selling a home than " the houses selling themselves". Hiring a seller agent and a buyer agent can save you from a lot of headache. The agent's job is to look after your interest and not the buyer (when you are selling) and not the builder (when you are purchasing).

When you are selling, the buyer who purchases your home is most likely represented by an agent while you don't. When you are purchasing, the builder already knows the scoop. Of course, you are free to try selling and purchasing yourself.

My best of luck to you!

Susie Kay, RealtorĀ®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
United Real Estate
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

The advantage to having a Buyers Agent help you happens in many ways with new construction....

1. The builder won't discount anything for you just because they aren't paying the buyer's agent side of the commission. Ask them straight out where you are saving by NOT having a professional represent your best interest.

2. A Buyer's Agent will look out for YOUR best interest, and make sure it's a Win/Win deal all they way through closing, walk-thrus, protection of your deposit/earnest money, assist with inspections...and YES, you should have your own inspection when construction is complete. I've seen bath tubs filled up on the second floor, then the drain released, only to find out the plumbing wasn't connected during contraction, and all the water came thru the ceiling. That was discovered because my buyer clients listened to me when I said, "have your new home, which hasn't had all the "parts" operated, inspected!"

3. Things happen, and you will need a "buffer" to be tough with the builder at times, and that's your agents job.

4. I offer a rebate of my commission back to my new construction buyers at closing, that's money in your pocket. The builder won't do that.

Call me if it's not too late for you! Blake - 214-603-7087