sheppard, Home Seller in 99507

Sell home contingent upon a move months away?

Asked by sheppard, 99507 Thu Jan 23, 2014

We’re planning on moving abroad. As an example I am using a moving date of June 1, 2014. My question: can I currently put up my home for sale and have the sale be contingent upon our move in June so that we can still live in our house up until the move?

You can absolutely put your home up for sale and have it be contingent upon your move, and as Erica mentioned, it is just a matter of finding a buyer who is agreeable to your terms. I am in the middle of a transaction right now where the Seller is leaving state at the end of May, but we are Closing on the property next week and have an Occupancy Agreement in place with prorated rent until the day the Seller vacates the property, at which point possession will be given to the Buyer. So, it is definitely doable! Please feel free to give me a call - I would be happy to help you with this as I have experience with situations such as yours. (907)223-7966
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 7, 2014
Yes. It just depends on whether that will work for the buyer. My recommendation, is get the average amount of days on market for comparable properties and place your house on the market then. Single family homes priced $200,000-$400,000 in Anchorage take about 2-3 months to sell, plus 30-45 day close time (current market, which may change) So if you want to live there until June 1, you should be looking at putting your house on the market within a month. Extending closing is cleaner, but another option could be a rent back. You close on the property and enter into a landlord tenant relationship with the buyer, and pay rent to cover the buyer's mortgage, insurance, taxes. Our team has been in both situations. I hope this is helpful. Don't hesitate to call or email if you have further questions - 982-9676 or erica@lesbaileyandassociates.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 5, 2014